Kelly: The Raptors, Andrew Wiggins, and the long term plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly: The Raptors, Andrew Wiggins, and the long term plan

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but I felt it deserved its own thread.

It's an interesting--if speculative--look into what our plans are for the long term.

In general manager Masai Ujiri’s office, there’s a large, colour-coded board that acts as a map of the NBA. It’s updated daily by interns – every guy on every team, where he stands on the depth chart, where he is in his current deal.

Ujiri and his lieutenants will sometimes spend hours in there, staring at it and plotting.

And the Raptors have their sights set directly on [Andrew Wiggins] once he becomes an unrestricted free agent, as early as 2021.

That’s a long time from now, but a great deal of what the Raptors are building is being constructed with Wiggins in mind.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle22438429/

Ujiri has a 5 year deal correct? Isn't that too far to look into Wiggins. Doesn't he have to show some results before that?
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      Ujiri has a 5 year deal correct? Isn't that too far to look into Wiggins. Doesn't he have to show some results before that?
      Never too early to consider scenarios.

And really, if this team is good for the next couple of years, the board would be beyond stupid not to re-up Ujiri for awhile. I could easily see him still being around come 2021.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Never too early to consider scenarios.

And really, if this team is good for the next couple of years, the board would be beyond stupid not to re-up Ujiri for awhile. I could easily see him still being around come 2021.
        well with MLSE I don't know

Comment

well with MLSE I don't know
          Yeah, I'm definitely constantly nervous about any decision they might make...but in this case, it would have to be the easiest one they've ever made, right? Even they couldn't fuck it up, right? Please?

Comment

Ujiri is the most loved GM in Toronto sports, they'd be stupid not to re-him
            A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

Thanks for posting. Good read.

Comment

I would imagine Wiggins is not the singular end goal, but one of many markers on our future path.

Summer 2015: target Gasol (then contingency A, contingency B, etc); send TRoss to camp with Hakeem Olajuwon
                Summer 2016: target Durant (contingency A, contingency B); send Bebe to camp with Hakeem Olajuwon
                Summer 2017: first Finals appearance; send Bruno to camp with Hakeem Olajuwon
                Summer 2018: bribe Wiggins to take his qualifying offer with throwback Raptors jerseys and promise to name a neighbourhood after him
                Summer 2019: sign unrestricted free agent Andrew Wiggins
                Summer 2020: championship number one; send Wiggins to camp with Hakeem Olajuwon

Comment

apparently Damien Cox left a shrine at the G&M and Cathal Kelly is kneeling it at it...
                  Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    I would imagine Wiggins is not the singular end goal, but one of many markers on our future path.

Summer 2015: target Gasol (then contingency A, contingency B, etc); send TRoss to camp with Hakeem Olajuwon
                    Summer 2016: target Durant (contingency A, contingency B); send Bebe to camp with Hakeem Olajuwon
                    Summer 2018: bribe Wiggins to take his qualifying offer with throwback Raptors jerseys and promise to name a neighbourhood after him
                    LOL If we get Gasol we sending him to Hakeem too right

Comment

LOL If we get Gasol we sending him to Hakeem too right
                      have to fix up that post game of his.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

I'd rather send TRoss to Reggie Miller/Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton camp so he can at least be effective if he's scared to drive to the hole, rather than laying eggs on the 3 point area.

Comment

Who knows when wiggins becomes an unrestricted free agent, there's gonna be a new CBA before his rookie deal is up, & the players are not backing down this time. The rules might change, 7 years is a freaken long time before you can make a decision about your career.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                            Who knows when wiggins becomes an unrestricted free agent, there's gonna be a new CBA before his rookie deal is up, & the players are not backing down this time. The rules might change, 7 years is a freaken long time before you can make a decision about your career.
                            If Raptors can convert the NYK-Denver lottery pick they might package a trade, shorten the 7 years to before he's an RFA.

Comment

Enjoyed the article and the insight it provided into MU's mind. A man with a plan.

On a side note, glad to see Wiggins starting to blossom and show up the naysayers. A lot of people eating their words right now, not the least of them some major sports media outlets.

Comment

Working...
                              X