#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    People keep forgetting that this consistent stretch for Ross started at the beginning of December... when he started a bunch of games.
    My point remains the same. Ross is excelling in his current role, the team is rolling, so I'm sure there's a hesitancy to shake that up.

Slotting Powell into the void left by JJ's injury only forces one player into a new role... Moving T Ross up and Powell into his bench spot causes two.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      Powell getting burn and struggling is a good thing

Maybe it costs us one win?? Maybe...

I think we can afford too

The experience he gains from the PT will be a massive help to us in the future though.

Potential minor short term loss for potentiall massive long term gain??

Shouldnt be two sides to the argument
      So we should stubbornly only try one player who's not doing very well in the role he's being thrust into? Despite the fact that all our 3rd stringers except Bebe could play at least some minutes at SF (or more generally the wing in Wright's case)?

The argument is Powell is not fitting well into a starting lineup that's already not fitting great together. Why not try someone else? You can give more than one young guy a shot. I don't see how that screws anything up. If our chemistry was so fragile, putting Powell in there and getting nothing from him already would've fucked it up.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        But that still doesn't account for Powell is in way over his head at the moment and thus not giving them really anything. That's fine. He's a 2nd round pick rookie who's still not got a reliable offensive skill at the NBA level. He's got time.

I don't see how it destroys things to use Wright in the same situations Powell is in right now. Even if you're not moving guys over and changing roles. Powell can't guard SFs, can't provide spacing off the ball, and is not very good handling the ball and trying to create. This is pretty evident at this point. If the option left to us because of injury is to try a youngster, then when one is failing to provide what's needed, I think it's perfectly fair to see if someone else could provide at least something. It shouldn't really screw things up at all because they're already screwed because of the hole in our lineup.

I just threw Wright out there since he hasn't had much of a shot and he was supposed to have a more refined game than our other young guys. He's been shooting the 3 well enough in the D-League. He can create off the dribble, and he at least has the size to guard both backcourt spots, and will be no more overmatched than Powell at SF. If he can give them any shooting, and do any scoring or passing off the bounce, those are elements that do resemble lineups they already used. Floor spacing is something they get from Carroll and Ross at the wing, the extra ballhandler is something they frequently use with Cojo-Lowry backcourt, which DeMar and Ross have played with (and would actually be less undersized than those combos). Using him shouldn't be a problem in terms of defining roles because he should fit well situationally into sets they already run, whereas Powell doesn't fit at all. So yeah, I don't see the danger here. I see the danger in continuing to get nothing from a spot in the rotation for much longer.
        OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        Powell getting burn and struggling is a good thing

Maybe it costs us one win?? Maybe...

I think we can afford too

The experience he gains from the PT will be a massive help to us in the future though.

Potential minor short term loss for potentiall massive long term gain??

Shouldnt be two sides to the argument
        I don't see a problem with giving Wright or even Bruno some burn, Powell's not knocking it out of the park or anything.

But at the same time it's only been 3 games of 13-15 mpg. He's not having that big of an impact - he just needs to play some defense for a few minutes. There are tons of posts in this forum from posters who a) want to see some of these prospects get some burn, and b) think Casey has overplayed Lowry/DD/Carroll. Whichever kid you pick between BeBe, Powell, Bruno, and Wright, you're going to see some raw and ugly basketball. Give whoever some minutes, but it's not going to be pretty half the time and it's not the end of the world when it isn't.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

So we should stubbornly only try one player who's not doing very well in the role he's being thrust into? Despite the fact that all our 3rd stringers except Bebe could play at least some minutes at SF (or more generally the wing in Wright's case)?

The argument is Powell is not fitting well into a starting lineup that's already not fitting great together. Why not try someone else? You can give more than one young guy a shot. I don't see how that screws anything up. If our chemistry was so fragile, putting Powell in there and getting nothing from him already would've fucked it up.
          I don't think playing a rookie PG at SF or playing Bruno is going to be as big of an improvement over Powell as you think it is.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            I don't think playing a rookie PG at SF or playing Bruno is going to be as big of an improvement over Powell as you think it is.
            But why not try? Powell really isn't giving us anything. So if it's not an improvement, then worst case the status quo is maintained. If the player gives you something more, you've made an improvement, and have been rewarded by discovering that player X is ready to contribute in such and such ways. This could be valuable if another injury happens down the line even this season. This is exactly what you're supposed to do when you have holes due to injury on a good team. You'll never get a better chance to see what these young guys can do. Garbage time is meaningless, but in this case they'd actually be asked to fill a legit role for real competitive game minutes.

I have no big problem keeping Powell there, but I do think it's a wasted opportunity. Again, just think this is the perfect situation to try out guys, and only giving one a shot seems to be unnecessarily rigid, especially when that one isn't doing well.

Comment

• I like Powell... sure he has no offensive game, but he's been solid on defense. Last night with him on the floor, McCollum was held to just 40% from the field. For the season, Raptors give up 1.6 less points per 100 possessions with Powell playing as well. He moves the ball well, and rebounds the ball excellently for a guard. I wouldn't say he gives us "nothing".

Comment

i think the coaching staff sees things that we do not have visibility to such as how hard certain players are preforming in practise and those type of things. We are forced to be small on the wing because of the jj, dc injuries I personally have not seen enough of bruno on the 905 and what I have seen of wright so far is that he seems a little star struck at the nba level next year that may be a different story though. Norman makes some mistakes but seems not to be intimated by the physicality of nba play

Comment

If Powell doesn't work out at the 3 (which is very possible); I wouldn't go with Delon there. If anything, I'd go with Bennett (we're clearly not putting Ross in there for whatever reason so ...).
                  "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                  "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    I like Powell... sure he has no offensive game, but he's been solid on defense. Last night with him on the floor, McCollum was held to just 40% from the field. For the season, Raptors give up 1.6 less points per 100 possessions with Powell playing as well. He moves the ball well, and rebounds the ball excellently for a guard. I wouldn't say he gives us "nothing".
                    This. The fact that he has not been a disaster and a big minus while he's out there is a positive thing and a good sign. Sure if you look at solely the box score there's not much to go by, but he hasn't made any huge glaring mistakes and has gotten a few steals and deflections and made a few good passes. That may be nothing if he was being paid $15M but for a 2nd round pick that is something.

If Bruno plays and knocks down two 3's but misses a handful of rotation and gets blown by a couple times, that's worse than "nothing."
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

But that still doesn't account for Powell is in way over his head at the moment and thus not giving them really anything. That's fine. He's a 2nd round pick rookie who's still not got a reliable offensive skill at the NBA level. He's got time.

I don't see how it destroys things to use Wright in the same situations Powell is in right now. Even if you're not moving guys over and changing roles. Powell can't guard SFs, can't provide spacing off the ball, and is not very good handling the ball and trying to create. This is pretty evident at this point. If the option left to us because of injury is to try a youngster, then when one is failing to provide what's needed, I think it's perfectly fair to see if someone else could provide at least something. It shouldn't really screw things up at all because they're already screwed because of the hole in our lineup.

I just threw Wright out there since he hasn't had much of a shot and he was supposed to have a more refined game than our other young guys. He's been shooting the 3 well enough in the D-League. He can create off the dribble, and he at least has the size to guard both backcourt spots, and will be no more overmatched than Powell at SF. If he can give them any shooting, and do any scoring or passing off the bounce, those are elements that do resemble lineups they already used. Floor spacing is something they get from Carroll and Ross at the wing, the extra ballhandler is something they frequently use with Cojo-Lowry backcourt, which DeMar and Ross have played with (and would actually be less undersized than those combos). Using him shouldn't be a problem in terms of defining roles because he should fit well situationally into sets they already run, whereas Powell doesn't fit at all. So yeah, I don't see the danger here. I see the danger in continuing to get nothing from a spot in the rotation for much longer.
                      You are so wrong about Powell. On offense, he is AMAZING at heading straight to the corner and getting TF out of the way of Lowry & DD. Can somebody make a GIF from the last night's game (4th quarter, I think), where Demar looks at the rook and points to the corner, like a teacher sending the class clown to detention. And General Powell executes his role in the offense to absolute perfection, while Lowry and DD go 1 on 5.

Listening and following correctly is an important skill. I tell that to my 5-year old all the time.

/pink font. lol.
                      Last edited by golden; Fri Feb 5, 2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        You are so wrong about Powell. On offense, he is AMAZING at heading straight to the corner and getting TF out of the way of Lowry & DD. Can somebody make a GIF from the last night's game (4th quarter, I think), where Demar looks at the rook and points to the corner, like a teacher sending the class clown to detention. And General Powell executes his role in the offense to absolute perfection, while Lowry and DD go 1 on 5.

Listening and following correctly is an important skill. I tell that to my 5-year old all the time.
                        The problem is, the defense ignores Powell. Completely. We were playing 4 on 5 at that end of the floor the entire time Powell was out there.
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Hasn't it only been 2 games with Powell starting? Kind of quick to call it not working.

Comment

The problem is, the defense ignores Powell. Completely. We were playing 4 on 5 at that end of the floor the entire time Powell was out there.
                            Sorry, I forgot the pink font. lol.

Comment

He's had a couple of those corner shots bounce in-and-out. Eventually they'll fall, and the defense will start paying attention

Comment

• As long as the young guys are getting some burn while we sit near the top of the east with injuries im hapoy

That way if we get utterly destroyed by injuries come playoffs we have one or two more guys to plug into the rotation

Or they come into next seasons training camp with a little more understanding of just how fast the NBA is

Comment

Working...
                                X