#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    4 yr players have limited ceilings especially now when 1 and dones are common. Wright will not be guarding Curry or CP3 anytime in the future for a good team. He can give minutes against second units but thats available cheaper than first round rookie deals
    Once again, just your opinion, based on pretty much nothing. I could say the same crap about Portis, but I won't, because I accept that it's way too early to tell.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      So 4 year college players have 2 year NBA careers or something? Why can't drafting a 4 year college player be playing the long game? Wright isn't 37 years old, he's 23, he'll be in the league for at least 10 years, which fits nicely into the long game. It was taking the best player available (in Masai's eyes), plain and simple. Wright wasn't drafted to fit Casey's system, and neither was Powell, they were drafted because Masai thinks they'll become good NBA players. When Lowry's deal is up Wright will slide into the CoJo role, that's playing the long game. We have time to develop him further, which is great. If we didn't land CoJo, what's to say we don't target another backup PG? I think we would have, because rookies need time to adjust, even 4 year college players.

The offseason theme was get better, which is what the theme of every offseason should be.
      http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...nba-draft.html

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...th-no-20-pick/

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...-a-leg-up.html

Maybe I'm reading all these articles (and others) wrong, but various Casey quotes after the pick and in the off-season seem to indicate a very short term focus with D. Wright filling an immediate team need in reaction to last season's poor perimeter defense...

Don't get me wrong, though, I think Wright will be a solid NBA player, but if we were thinking short-term (which I believe we were), then Portis might have been the better pick for now and later.

In Delon Wright, Dwane Casey is getting a mature player who grew up around the NBA, and fits in well with the coach’s defensive mindset.

He also fills a sudden void at point guard.

"He’s one of the top defensive point guards in the draft," Casey said. "He defends, he can run the pick and roll very well. Great kid, good character, good team guy, and an excellent ball passer in the pick-and-roll game."

"He wouldn’t be overwhelmed by the NBA," Casey said.

Casey is excited about what the guard can bring on the defensive end, comparing him Nate McMillan, who Casey coached in Seattle. He’s a long point guard who can guard multiple positions.

"It’s huge," Casey said. "(Defence) was our issue… and where we’re going to start training camp is guys guarding the ball, and this young man does an excellent job of that."

Coach Dwane Casey came away lauding the six-foot-five Wright’s ability to defend the pick-and-roll and his basketball savvy.
      “As the (draft) week went on and we studied more film and more film and more film, it came clear to us as far as what we needed defensively,” Casey said. “Your defence starts on the ball . . . you’ve got to have guys to be able to defend the pick-and-roll and he’s a good start for us.”

“You’ve got to get the ball under control before you can even think about your bigs protecting the rim,” said Casey. “That was our issue . . . guys guarding the ball and this young man does an excellent job of that.”

“I thought it hurt us somewhat last year when we had two small guards in when you are going against six-six or six-seven guards” Casey said. “But with Cory’s size and Delon’s size I think that is a huge plus for us.

“He has seen it all and on top of that being the brother of an NBA player, he’s heard and seen it all,” Casey said. “He has been around NBA players so he’s not in shock and awe of other NBA guys. This is not overwhelming to him. His temperament is unbelievable.”

“He is ahead of the game by being four years older and having Dorell as his brother and being around NBA players all this time.
      Last edited by golden; Mon Nov 16, 2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Once again, just your opinion, based on pretty much nothing. I could say the same crap about Portis, but I won't, because I accept that it's way too early to tell.
        Do you need links to show why NBA teams dont like 4 yr college player. Use google. Its not an opinion it what GMs say when drafting, openly. Provide links dummy

Comment

Come on man. Wright may turn out better than Portis but everyone knows in the NBA 4-year players not drafted 1st overall lack the potential of the 1 and done guys.

Also it was very clear he wasn't BPA at that point of the draft, that pick was almost as far out of left field as Bruno, but for different reasons.

Comment

• Really don't see how drafting Wright over Portis (a decision I fully endorsed) has anything to do with Casey (and this being the #FireCasey thread).

Wright added a solid perimeter defender who projects well as an ideal backup PG moving forward. Considering GV/Lou were the backups last year, it was addressing a point of weakness. Portis wouldn't really move the needle and would have been much more redundant with the Bennett signing. Wright was the right call to make even with hindsight.

All that said, fire Casey. The roster is talented, stop wasting it with a below average coach.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Really don't see how drafting Wright over Portis (a decision I fully endorsed) has anything to do with Casey (and this being the #FireCasey thread).

Wright added a solid perimeter defender who projects well as an ideal backup PG moving forward. Considering GV/Lou were the backups last year, it was addressing a point of weakness. Portis wouldn't really move the needle and would have been much more redundant with the Bennett signing. Wright was the right call to make even with hindsight.

All that said, fire Casey. The roster is talented, stop wasting it with a below average coach.
              Wright was taken due to being NBA ready and even with CoJo he is a wing that can shoot. With Ross and DC out he should be getting minutes. Why take Wright and not use him at all. Heard Wright was Casey's pick. Wright is fine but if Casey isnt going to use him at all Portis would be playing in DLeague now and more valuable in the future or in trade.

Comment

Really don't see how drafting Wright over Portis (a decision I fully endorsed) has anything to do with Casey (and this being the #FireCasey thread).

Problem located: #FireAxel

(Btw, I'm already on record as really liking the Wright pick, but there are never enough reasons to #FireCasey.) lol.

Comment

Wright was taken due to being NBA ready and even with CoJo he is a wing that can shoot. With Ross and DC out he should be getting minutes. Why take Wright and not use him at all. Heard Wright was Casey's pick. Wright is fine but if Casey isnt going to use him at all Portis would be playing in DLeague now and more valuable in the future or in trade.
                  I even wanted Portis but think you're making a stink about nothing.

If Portis was here, why do you think he'd be in the DLeague now? Wright isn't. Bruno looks like he'll be the guy spending the most time down there. And who knows how much they'll have other guys down there.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    I even wanted Portis but think you're making a stink about nothing.

If Portis was here, why do you think he'd be in the DLeague now? Wright isn't. Bruno looks like he'll be the guy spending the most time down there. And who knows how much they'll have other guys down there.
                    The stink is why isnt Wright playing, at least against Sixer and NOP when the Raptors have no wing shooters. Playing Powell when teams are already packing the paint doesnt help anyone. If CoJo or Demar get injured Powell can step in

Comment

The stink is why isnt Wright playing, at least against Sixer and NOP when the Raptors have no wing shooters. Playing Powell when teams are already packing the paint doesnt help anyone. If CoJo or Demar get injured Powell can step in
                      Maybe he sucks in practice.

Lots of guys get drafted and then people find out they're not that good yet.

Comment

And Wright still might be the BPA. He projects very highly in some of the best measurable defensive stats.

And "not use him at all" is a bit early considering how early into the season we are.

Portis isn't exactly a stud. Plenty of good reasons to fire Casey without making up ones.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

And Wright still might be the BPA. He projects very highly in some of the best measurable defensive stats.

And "not use him at all" is a bit early considering how early into the season we are.

Portis isn't exactly a stud. Plenty of good reasons to fire Casey without making up ones.
                          Casey doesn't need help there.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Portis looks pretty good especially taken in the 20s. If two injuries and easy wins isnt the time there wont be many better ones. With confidence issues plaguing the roster, why put players in positions to fail. Dont play Bennet as a SF vs Melo, Don't throw Powell into 5 defenders in the paint. Park Wright in the corner when teams are packing the paint and see if he can hit.

Comment

Well....Wright isn't a wing shooter. Why would he be playing? He wasn't drafted to be a wing or a shooter. He's a playmaking defensive PG. They'll have to see if he can learn to be a better shooter.

Comment

• I wonder what the new assistants were thinking last night seeing Biyombo out there for a quarter and a half?

Comment

Working...
                                X