#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    It seems like about 90% of the problems with this team moving forward towards the playoffs start and end with our awful starting lineup.

It makes no sense to me to keep Patterson/Ross on the bench to 'preserve roles', when Ross has moved between starter and bench before and done well in both, and we haven't tried Patterson starting all season.

Start those two, make the early minutes easier on Lowry, and it should all flow from there in my opinion.
    But they are playing so well off the bench right now. I'd be hesitant to change that while on this win streak. I could understand if we were losing games and a change needed to be made, but to change a winning formula...would be hard to pull the trigger on that.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Powell probably shouldn't be playing. Powell, for all his hustle, basically has no serviceable NBA skill at this point. We put him out there, and he's trying, but he doesn't fit anywhere and can't really do anything. So I'm not really sure what's getting him such consistent shots to play. Throw Wright out there and see if he can fit next to our players. At least we know he has some skills.
      This is where Casey's inability to think outside the box, comes to play. He doesn't see Wright as an able-bodied NBA player with size. All he sees is a 3rd string PG.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Powell probably shouldn't be playing. Powell, for all his hustle, basically has no serviceable NBA skill at this point. We put him out there, and he's trying, but he doesn't fit anywhere and can't really do anything. So I'm not really sure what's getting him such consistent shots to play. Throw Wright out there and see if he can fit next to our players. At least we know he has some skills.
        All I could think about last night was how tough it must be for him to try and play the 3 spot when he's listed at 6'4 (which i think is generous). Would prefer to see combinations of Lowry/Cojo/Wright, with Norm playing spot minutes at the 2.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          But they are playing so well off the bench right now. I'd be hesitant to change that while on this win streak. I could understand if we were losing games and a change needed to be made, but to change a winning formula...would be hard to pull the trigger on that.
          See, this is the trap though. We have got to change it before the playoffs, we don't want to be going into a playoff series, have it hurt us, and then have to change on the fly. So why wait? If we know we don't want to do this long term, why not make the change as soon as possible, and try to get a new starting lineup and bench as long a stretch together as possible to get into a similar groove before the playoffs start?
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I have been hard on Casey in the past, but I'm actually on #TeamCasey now. I've come around. Here's why:

1. He has the locker room. From what I see, the guys appear to respect him and respond to him (e.g. coming out harder after time outs). He's a true professional and he sticks to his philosophies which are based on putting in work ethic.

2. I think he's improving as a head coach in terms of managing the floor game. He's definitely not perfect, but I see growth in the way he manages time outs and line ups. Out of time out plays have been solid as well (although this could be asst coaches).

3. He has to get some credit for the team's success. If we ignore what went down in the playoffs last year (I know that's hard for some to do), the team and organization are on an impressive upward trajectory. Winning is a process, and from when Rudy Gay was traded to where we are now, it's amazing. Masai is the architect, but Casey is the engineer - he has to make it happen, and for the most part, he has with what he's been given.

4. Guys ARE developing under him. DeMar has gone from borderline all-star to legitimate all-star. Lowry has been improving every year. Ross has gone from scrub to (mostly) consistent role player. JV is getting better and is now playing meaningful minutes, especially late in games.

5. He is highly-regarded as a head coach around the league. I have Sirius XM satellite radio and listen to the NBA station; I also have NBA League Pass and mostly watch the other team's feed. He gets a TON of respect all-around. I know it's weird that "reputation" is a measure, but his peers hold him in high regard. I think that means they get something the fans are clearly overlooking.

Comment

• It's not like if you put Ross in the starting lineup, he can't go right back to the bench when Carroll comes back. He did EXACTLY that when Carroll was out in December.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                This is where Casey's inability to think outside the box, comes to play. He doesn't see Wright as an able-bodied NBA player with size. All he sees is a 3rd string PG.
                I don't know what it is. He played Vasquez at SF at times. I'm not even talking about matching Wright against frontcourt players. Just take Powell out, move Ross and DD more to the 3 (at least with JJ and Carroll out), and let Wright help platoon the backcourt.

Anyway, Powell should not be paying. He may hustle more than Bruno, but I'm not even sure he impacts the game more.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  See, this is the trap though. We have got to change it before the playoffs, we don't want to be going into a playoff series, have it hurt us, and then have to change on the fly. So why wait? If we know we don't want to do this long term, why not make the change as soon as possible, and try to get a new starting lineup and bench as long a stretch together as possible to get into a similar groove before the playoffs start?
                  Well, here's the thing. Lowry is going to be playing 40 mins. a game for us during the playoffs, but we need to make sure he gets to the playoffs in good enough health to do that.

I like Cojo's two man game with our bigs, but ... and correct me if I'm wrong..,he doesn't seem to be able to create for our shooters, as well. Perhaps it's something MU needs to address by the trade deadline. One way or another it needs to be addressed and it's good that Casey has mentioned this to the media. It's on his radar for things to do in preparation for the playoffs.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    YOU don't want to do this long term. I think Casey is just fine with the lineup right now outside of us obviously not be healthy.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• It's simple.. Casey doesn't like to interrupt roles. When an injury happens he always subs a bench guy in that role to keep everyone else in sync with their existing roles.

That's why JJ started when DC went out (instead of Ross).

I think Bruno would have gotten the start if he was on the west coast road trip with the team. And now that the team will be back East I suspect Bruno will get the start (if JJ is still out).

Wright will get minutes if either Lowry or CoJo get injured.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                        YOU don't want to do this long term. I think Casey is just fine with the lineup right now outside of us obviously not be healthy.
                        What if JJ or Carroll has setbacks?

Carroll is supposed to be back, what, 3 weeks before the playoffs?
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          It's not like if you put Ross in the starting lineup, he can't go right back to the bench when Carroll comes back. He did EXACTLY that when Carroll was out in December.
                          I don't think it makes any sense to start Ross for exactly this reason.

He can't be a starter when Carroll comes back so we might as well keep him as a 6th man so he can continue to perfect and get used to that role.

2Pat on the other hand should be inserted into the starting 5, but only if we're sure we're not making a trade for a PF.

Comment

• If Scola ever goes down I imagine AB gets his minutes instead of 2Pat. The rotation is set. Casey won't make a change unless something serious happens (like if they lose 8 of 10 or something).

It's up to Masai to make a change by trading his players if he doesn't like Casey's rotation. That's the only way we'll see a drastic change to the starting line up.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              If Scola ever goes down I imagine AB gets his minutes instead of 2Pat. The rotation is set. Casey won't make a change unless something serious happens (like if they lose 8 of 10 or something).

It's up to Masai to make a change by trading his players if he doesn't like Casey's rotation. That's the only way we'll see a drastic change to the starting line up.
                              Pretty much. Casey doesn't make changes when things aren't working so think about now that we are winning. He is definitely not going to change anything. Patterson should get another chance to start but Casey clearly is not going to do that. So I've given up on worrying and complaining about it. Our starters aren't terrible and Patterson gets most of the PF minutes anyway so it is what it is.
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                It's simple.. Casey doesn't like to interrupt roles. When an injury happens he always subs a bench guy in that role to keep everyone else in sync with their existing roles.

That's why JJ started when DC went out (instead of Ross).
                                I have to wonder sometimes, does he not like to interrupt roles due to his players comfort or his own?
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                                X