#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit wrote: View Post
    Well to be fanatical about anything would pretty much imply in my mind at least that a certain matter of fickle is to be included. If you don't want your team to get better and dont really care much about it's problems, or rather perceived problems, then I would argue that you just like watching sports and aren't really a fan.
    Agreed, but that doesn't in any way support the notion that the fan has a clue what they are talking about. Not to say they don't have a right to say anything they wish, but how much weight you can give to those opinions is a big question mark.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      I completely agree with what you're saying but I'm of the belief that this team has a way to go before a change of head coach is necessary. The young guys need time to get experience, and the talent isn't there yet in my opionion. There are certain foundations which are just being laid, and Casey is a good coach for that I think. Once the team gets to that point where they are a serious threat then switch up the coach for someone whom can actually impact a playoff series with his play calling.

My comment about brining in a brilliant coach was more reflective of some of the names that are bing thrown around as a replacement for DC. If players were robots or chess peices that you could control that may work, but they don't necessarily respond that way. At the pro level its evident they value someone they respect over a nobody. You need someone who the players will follow as much as you need someone whose brilliant b'ball mind.
      Ahh ok, I see where you're coming from then.

I guess our difference in opinion then stems from my belief that it would be better for us to take a flyer on a yet unproved NBA head coach who could grow with the team. If it were believed that we had a chance to take a run at some top NBA talent in the next couple of years then I would concede that at least an established coach would be the way to go.

However, I believe that if we get top NBA talent it'll be a chance of luck and as such would rather see a lean towards a rebuild with young talent. Headed by a coach that is willing to learn and take the bumps on the way. May as well take a chance on a player like Bruno who you hope becomes great and a coach who hasnt proven anything who you also hope becomes great.

Edit : I really like what both the celtics and the bucks are doing with their coaching situation, for example

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        Casey still has two years left on his new deal too if I'm not mistaken. The politics of that will be at play but not the deciding factor in all this.
        Speculation, but in this hypothetical scenario: A couple players who aren't buying in is killing the team chemistry. In such a scenario you'd probably see those sorts of players leave and Casey stay...
        1 year guaranteed and a team option for 2016-17.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I don't understand this. If Casey isn't the right guy for the job, there's no such thing as "a way to go before a change of head coach is necessary".

If he's doing a poor job developing talent and fostering good habits, what's the benefit of keeping him around?

*Young guys aren't getting the experience they need. Vets are playing a terrible brand of basketball with no conscience and are not being held accountable. Talent in general is being pushed into roles/schemes that don't really fit them that well, either being pigeonholed or asked to do too much. Guys frequently play lazy or stupid (bad habits forming).
          I didn't think it was possible to sum it up in 4 lines but you did it.

Comment

I don't understand this. If Casey isn't the right guy for the job, there's no such thing as "a way to go before a change of head coach is necessary".

If he's doing a poor job developing talent and fostering good habits, what's the benefit of keeping him around?

*Young guys aren't getting the experience they need. Vets are playing a terrible brand of basketball with no conscience and are not being held accountable. Talent in general is being pushed into roles/schemes that don't really fit them that well, either being pigeonholed or asked to do too much. Guys frequently play lazy or stupid (bad habits forming).
            Yea... pretty much this is what I was getting at

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              Agreed.

Plus the "team is young" excuse is bullshit (to what ever used that excuse) . They've all been in this league, and playing competitive basketball long enough to know what's what.

Comment

yep

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  I can sum it up in two words...

Not basketball.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    Agreed, but that doesn't in any way support the notion that the fan has a clue what they are talking about.
                    That's the same rationale Shaq uses whenever journalists disagree with his opinion about anything basketball related.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                      That's the same rationale Shaq uses whenever journalists disagree with his opinion about anything basketball related.
                      Like what are we supposed to do? Say it's all rainbows and unicorns?

Comment

It was the same when Carlisle was coaching Detroit before Brown took over and took them to a championship. Or when Dungy was coaching the Bucks before Grueden took over. Some coaches can get you to a certain point and after that you need a change of coach to take you that next step.

Same scenario here with the exception that the team is nowhere near being ready to take the next step. Casey has gotten a lot out of the players on this roster even if it's not translating to wins right now. JV's efficiency is great so I can't say he's not getting experience. Ross on the other hand...

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                          I was saying that in reference to a poster saying there was a #firespo thread on a Miami blog. Not saying that fans aren't right some times (frankly you have enough opionions you're gonna hit on one of them), but fans also flip flop what they think management should do and often contradict their opinions based on short stretches of wins and loses. For example as I mentioned so many people were on Casey for not developing youth, but the same fans clamouring for development are also demanding JJ get more minutes (at T. Ross' expense). It's things like that I was referring to when I said that fans don't have a clue.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            If I had a nickle for every time a #Firethatasshole type thread popped up I'd have enough for a damn fine espresso in my hand right now.

Answer these five questions:

1. Are the Raptors still in rebuild mode?
                            2. Were the Raptors expected to have the successes they had this year and the last?
                            3. Are the Raptors ready to contend for a Title today?
                            4. If Casey were fired who would you replace him with?
                            5. Is that new coach the guy who can lead them to a Title?

If you answered no, yes, yes, some schmuck who's never done anything and yes then I'm done here because this discussion is going no where and you're going to live a pretty miserable existence while watching Raptors ball...
                            1. Technically we are in the "Building mode". Not rebuilding, but building a true contender via depth.

2. No, we weren't. I personally thought we were going to nab up a low playoff berth after the trade, but I was one of the few who actually looked at the pieces we got. Remember that both Pat and Greasy were former starters before heading here. I knew they would solidify our bench.

3. Technically were a fringe team in a weak conference. We could catch fire in the playoffs for all we know. Who would've said that the Heat would lose 2 of the Finals they made during the Lebron era? Who thought the Spurs and Mavs were the better team? If someone can argue that they knew the Heat would lose, fine, I won't argue. But I will admit people have gotten carried away.

4. Looking at coaches carefully, I personally would look hard at coaches in all leagues and our own associates. Maybe give the job to Sterner? I personally feel Casey isn't a bad coach. He just isn't Head Coach material, and is way better off as a assistant.

5. Not just yet. I feel we need one more piece that can bring it every game. I think JV is that piece, but I'd really enjoy another glue guy particularly at either the 3 or 4 that's proven/under the radar. Knowing Masai, we can pick that kind of piece up in FA this offseason. We do this, bring in a coach with a system that suits our players, and who knows what will occur next season? Also, remember we have 3 prospect players that could be helping us contend next year. Out of all the 3 guys, I think Daniels is the most ready to help. But who knows if he'll come over for the SL next year?

We are good team that's inconsistent due to coaching issues. Do I feel Casey can keep his job? The only way he does is if we play amazing in the playoffs.

I haven't come on the site for a few days because the losing has hurt me, but I know that this team isn't as great as some of you think. I feel it's really due to a logjam at the 2, especially with Ross, Lou and GV all being very similar guys. (Albeit GV can be a playmaker.) The only real guy that's different is Landry Fields (Who I prefer as a 3 myself), but we all know Casey won't play him unless a injury goes down.

Just a bit more insight on what this team actually is. Wait till next year guys before we go nuts. We are not there just yet. We technically would be a fringe team out West (5th to 8th).
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                              Yea I'm not sure how well that correlates with Casey though... Spo was a favorite of one of the best basketball minds in Pat Riley. I think when Pat gives you the thumbs up it kind of makes a statement. Masai is good but he hasn't gotten that level of good yet, if ever.
                              Not supporting Casey either. Just saying that it all comes down to how MU feels about him and if he's willing to go the extra mile with him. I don't recall reading anything where Masai doesn't speak very highly of Casey and vice-versa. Not even veiled discontent, like between BC and Smith or Grunwald and KO. I think it would take a lot to get MU to even begin considering the idea of firing Casey before his contract is up.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Not supporting Casey either. Just saying that it all comes down to how MU feels about him and if he's willing to go the extra mile with him. I don't recall reading anything where Masai doesn't speak very highly of Casey and vice-versa. Not even veiled discontent, like between BC and Smith or Grunwald and KO. I think it would take a lot to get MU to even begin considering the idea of firing Casey before his contract is up.
                                MU was never a coach like Riley he was a scout and his strength is more in drafting, trading and roster building. GMs like Riley are better coach evaluators. Even guys like Kerr are coach GM vs scout GM

Comment

Working...
                                X