No announcement yet.

#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is not meant to be a sarcastic question---does anyone actually know DC's IQ ?

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
      This is not meant to be a sarcastic question---does anyone actually know DC's IQ ?
      Probably his remedial basketball strategy teacher

Comment

• For perspective, I would highly recommend going over to some Bulls sites and reading what their fans are writing about Thibs.

A few thoughts I pulled from Blog a Bull. I encourage you to substitute Casey's name for Thibs.

"This was one of those nights when you can [sic] fight the feel that Thibs might be a dead man walking, and it won't be undeserved"

"He’s a defensive coach who can’t get his team to play any."

"He plays Kirk (Vasquez) yet doesn’t play Snell (James Johnson) which is complete bullshit. His offensive playcalling is horrible and non-existent, the team plays with no ball movement or zip."

"What gets me is the rotation. It’s bullshit and I absolutely hate it, it’s still on the players for not fucking up a 15pt lead but goddammit Thibs has to put his players in better positions to succeed"

"That last play call by Thibs was just awful"

"And when your main offensive set is a post up with NO ONE ELSE MOVING, you’re gonna have a bad time"

"Thibs is going to be that coach next year for someone else. They’ll think they got someone great but man is he frustrating. He really only has one coaching strength: "Tell his players to work harder than the other team’s players." If that doesn’t work, he’s basically Vinny Del Negro."

Comment

• Random malcontents aren't the same as lower third defense, passing and just watching a coach get outsmarted to lose games.

Comment

• I'm a little worried about Thibs - seems like a defensive D'Antoni. An innovator with a great system on one end of the floor that really influenced the league, but once the copycats have caught up, you just have a solid coach who spends all his time on one end of the floor and ignores the other end.

Just a gut feeling.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Thibs has shown enough offensively to run circles around raps D....which sadly isnr sayig much.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                For perspective, I would highly recommend going over to some Bulls sites and reading what their fans are writing about Thibs.

A few thoughts I pulled from Blog a Bull. I encourage you to substitute Casey's name for Thibs.

I went to reddit and this was positively upvoted in the postgame thread:

Thibodeau is also our weapon that gets unleashed in the playoffs and too many people forget that. Scouting and game planning in the busy regular season is limited. You can't thoroughly scout, prepare for and anticipate every team on a road trip, each game of a week. In a 7 game series though, Thibs has always throttled opposing coaches. He always has the most effective defense prepared, the best game plan to take away a team's go to plays and puts our players in positions to succeed. This run still has the potential to remind the basketball world why Thibodeau and Rose are two of the best at what they do.
                That's high praise after a loss. And it was the first game back for DRose, things are going to be tricky.

Every coach is going to get called out for making mistakes. Pop still gets questioned about taking out Duncan two years ago. But it's the whole body of work that matters.

We've seen Casey run this team for years and his body of work remains the same: solid motivator, terrible strategist, terrible endgame playcalling.

I'm not sure if Thibodeau is the perfect candidate, because there probably isn't one, but from watching the Bulls he seems a lot better at the coaching fundamentals than Casey.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Thibs has shown enough offensively to run circles around raps D....which sadly isnr sayig much.
                  Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  I went to reddit and this was positively upvoted in the postgame thread:

That's high praise after a loss. And it was the first game back for DRose, things are going to be tricky.

Every coach is going to get called out for making mistakes. Pop still gets questioned about taking out Duncan two years ago. But it's the whole body of work that matters.

We've seen Casey run this team for years and his body of work remains the same: solid motivator, terrible strategist, terrible endgame playcalling.

I'm not sure if Thibodeau is the perfect candidate, because there probably isn't one, but from watching the Bulls he seems a lot better at the coaching fundamentals than Casey.
                  Thibs is no question better than Casey, and you're far better off having a very good defense and a middling offense than the other way around.

I don't know how to call out a next coach - honestly I haven't a clue what one of the assistants or an international/college/d-league coach would be like with his first gig. I only watch NBA ball.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Thibodeau is also our weapon that gets unleashed in the playoffs and too many people forget that. Scouting and game planning in the busy regular season is limited. You can't thoroughly scout, prepare for and anticipate every team on a road trip, each game of a week. In a 7 game series though, Thibs has always throttled opposing coaches. He always has the most effective defense prepared, the best game plan to take away a team's go to plays and puts our players in positions to succeed. This run still has the potential to remind the basketball world why Thibodeau and Rose are two of the best at what they do.
                    Maybe. They've won one playoff series in 3 years. The only playoff run they made with Thibs was with MVP Rose.

I'm not bashing Thibs. He's done a good job in Chicago with a poorly constructed roster and the Rose injury situation. My point was simply that Raptors fans should swim out of the Toronto fishbowl and take a look around the league. Maybe the situation here isn't quite so bad as it is made out to be by some posters on this board.

Comment

Maybe. They've won one playoff series in 3 years. The only playoff run they made with Thibs was with MVP Rose.

I'm not bashing Thibs. He's done a good job in Chicago with a poorly constructed roster and the Rose injury situation. My point was simply that Raptors fans should swim out of the Toronto fishbowl and take a look around the league. Maybe the situation here isn't quite so bad as it is made out to be by some posters on this board.
                      I do this just to make sure I'm giving Casey a fair shake. What you find at the margins is that there are:
                      Good rosters with good coaches (SA - Pop, GSW - Kerr, ATL - Bud)
                      Good rosters with bad coaches (GSW with Jackson and LAC with Del Negro are the two best recent examples, but McHale will probably come up again once Houston gets knocked out, WAS - Wittman is in the same position)
                      Bad rosters with good coaches (BOS - Stevens has got them to a playoff spot, which is remarkable, same goes for MIL - Kidd, PHI - Brown)
                      Bad rosters with bad coaches (LAL - Scott, ORL fired Vaughn)

Everybody else is on some spectrum of that. I'm using good and bad very loosely too.

We're probably a slightly above-average roster with a below-average coach. If Casey was coaching Indiana's roster this year I would not expect them to be remotely close to competing for a playoff spot.

The best test of a coach is the playoffs. I'm willing to bet that 90% of this board will have self-inflicted concussions from Casey's decision-making in a few weeks.

Comment

I'm assuming you'd still take Thibs over Casey in a heartbeat right?

Saying our situation isn't quite so bad is kinda like saying you should eat your brussel sprouts because there is starving kids in Africa. Of course there are teams in worse situations, but that doesn't make our situation a good or desirable one.

Comment

• Do I think the situation is that bad?

Not really. I think the situation is solvable. Just not by this coach or the unit we have playing right now.

The real issue is the logjam we have at 1 position and the fact we are not playing players that can actually provide defense (Fields, CH, TH & JJ). We rely too much on shooting, and don't move the ball enough when it matters.

Our chemistry that we had last year is also missing....
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• This guy sounds great:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BD...Obradovi%C4%87

"""
                            Coaching style

Well-known for his temperamental approach, Obradović often utilized a system heavy on pick-and-rolls, focusing on using the corners and back passes to open up the offense and make it more difficult for the defense to commit.

[...]

Revered San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich has been a longtime admirer of Obradović's coaching style, frequently praising him[8][9] and admitting to "stealing his plays". In turn, Obradović, ahead of his second season coaching Fenerbahce talked about spending a significant portion of the summer 2014 off-season dissecting the San Antonio game, particularly positioning and ball movement, with a view of implementing it in his team.
                            """

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                              This guy sounds great:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BD...Obradovi%C4%87

"""
                              Coaching style

Well-known for his temperamental approach, Obradović often utilized a system heavy on pick-and-rolls, focusing on using the corners and back passes to open up the offense and make it more difficult for the defense to commit.

[...]

Revered San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich has been a longtime admirer of Obradović's coaching style, frequently praising him[8][9] and admitting to "stealing his plays". In turn, Obradović, ahead of his second season coaching Fenerbahce talked about spending a significant portion of the summer 2014 off-season dissecting the San Antonio game, particularly positioning and ball movement, with a view of implementing it in his team.
                              """
                              he's quite old though, not much is left in his career.

EDIT: oh... he's 55, looks much older. I eat crow.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                                he's quite old though, not much is left in his career.

EDIT: oh... he's 55, looks much older. I eat crow.
                                Yeah, he's a couple of years younger than Casey. Only Pops doesn't study Casey's plays

Comment

Working...
                                X