No announcement yet.

#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess since Casey won't be fired, we're going to swing back around to DeMar?

Since Casey is back.. that pretty much means DD is back since he's one of the only guys on the team that understands Casey's system inside out.

I like DD for the most part.. he can be irritating but Casey and Triano have been has last two coaches.. so lots of blame to go around.. I like his contract around $12M a year... I think that's what he's worth (that's the right value for an all-star caliber player that's not an MVP). The cap currently is about $63M. So $12M would be about 19% of the cap.

If the cap is going up to $89M in 2016.. then 19% of that would under $17M. So if DD signs for around $17M which is high but in relation current cap is reasonable.. then I'll be happy. Just hope DD likes Toronto as much as I think he does.. and the constant losing won't get to his head too much. He doesn't have to give Toronto a discount but it sure would be nice.. and Lowry seemed to give one to Toronto when he was a free agent. Bledsoe for example was patient and got $16M a year.

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
      you guys need to realize demar wont win a ring for us alone

No one can,
      MJ had Pipen, and Roddman
      Kobe had Shaq, Gasol, Ron, Fisher, and Bynmun
      Shaq had Kobe, Wade and morning
      Lebron had Wade and Bosh
      Tim had Robinson, Tony, Manu and Leonard

we need too keep Demar and put two stars who are better and will compliment him.

We need floor spacers, defenders (mostly shot blocking) and re bounders
      Didn't you mock me a few posts earlier for even daring to write michael jordan and kobe bryant, when the point I was making is that you don't need an mvp point guard to be a good 2 guard? Then you go and say demar can bring us a ring with a supporting cast, and proceed to rattle off examples of hall of famers and some of the best players of all time? Bro, all those "supporting players" are way bettter than demar even, save for maybe fisher and bynum. On a team that brings home a ring, demar derozan would be no better than 4th or 5th starter, or a 6th man.

Nobody here is saying that DD is an awful player, or a guy that can't be used on a winner. Point is, he is the furthest thing froma centerpiece, or a starting point. If we have championship aspirations, and still plan on keeping demar derozan, somethings gotta give. Cause for him to stay and us to see a finals, he needs to get passed on the depth chart by 2 or 3 players. And that plus giving him 20 million dollars just doesn't add up.

You want to see a "treadmill team" since that seems to be such an en vogue phrase? Keep giving demar derozan 20 shots a night and the keys to the franchise. Treadmill. Decent as fuck until he retires
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Muahaha

enjoy some more rock pounding bitches!

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          I would suggest the priority ought to be to get the two better stars, by any means, including moving DD for talent, picks or to clear cap room to sign said stars, and worry about getting that third tier player later - if DD is a third best guy, he's extraordinarily replaceable. Keeping him should therefore be of zero concern for now.
          DanH wrote: View Post
          The answer to your question is no, by the way. He put up extremely comparable efficiency numbers in his last few years here versus his big three years in Miami. Like a half a percentage point better in Miami at his peak, with a couple years there where he had lower shooting marks than he did here.

Some players just are who they are. I have zero faith DeMar manages a more efficient game with better players around him. He likes the shots he takes - heck, he likes shooting contested shots better than uncontested ones (in spite of being much worse at them).
          DanH on fire.

In a nutshell, DD is has complimentary player level talent. That is easy to find. And we can find one who fits properly with our top level talent when we get a few.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
            As said before, DeMar is a complimenter not a complimentee. He's of the Manu/Bynum caliber, NOT of the MJ/Shaq caliber.
            and there is nothing wrong with that, hes a great asset to have, his ability to get to the ft line is top of the leauge same with the rate at which he makes them.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              I guess since Casey won't be fired, we're going to swing back around to DeMar?

Since Casey is back.. that pretty much means DD is back since he's one of the only guys on the team that understands Casey's system inside out.

I like DD for the most part.. he can be irritating but Casey and Triano have been has last two coaches.. so lots of blame to go around.. I like his contract around $12M a year... I think that's what he's worth (that's the right value for an all-star caliber player that's not an MVP). The cap currently is about $63M. So $12M would be about 19% of the cap.

If the cap is going up to $89M in 2016.. then 19% of that would under $17M. So if DD signs for around $17M which is high but in relation current cap is reasonable.. then I'll be happy. Just hope DD likes Toronto as much as I think he does.. and the constant losing won't get to his head too much. He doesn't have to give Toronto a discount but it sure would be nice.. and Lowry seemed to give one to Toronto when he was a free agent. Bledsoe for example was patient and got $16M a year.
              I swung around to Demar because he's our best trade asset next to JV, and I think trading JV now would be a fucking disaster.

Look around the league and think who would want to trade for Lowry. All the teams I come up with have no assets of interest, and we'd have the huge problem of replacing our PG, GV as a starter is not going to cut it. There is a glut of really good PGs in the league and not many teams need an upgrade. It would be fun if people could think of some Lowry trade partners, but please examine what we could get back, as the teams with a PG need have all old players and no picks.

Ross can't have very much value, so I don't see him bringing back a key piece. My best idea for him would be to trade him for Sullinger, which is not exactly a game changer, but would help if he could stay healthy.

PPat has value, so he's someone else we could look at trading, but then we have zero PF on the roster.

Which brings me back to DD as the best trade asset we have. He's likely at peak value coming off his all star appearance, and he has one cheap year left on his deal, plus bird rights. If we wait until after the season, he will opt out, and sign and trades will be our only option, which isn't a very good one. Of course we could just keep him and pay him $16-25M per year, but then he would be much harder to trade, and we'd have missed our best opportunity to upgrade other parts of the roster.

I'm pretty much over having a SG who can't shoot 3s, it just doesn't work in today's NBA.

Comment

• According to Stein, Ujiri is going to explore the possibility of adding Monty Williams as an Assistant Coach:

He later added that Williams is likely to pursue any open Head Coaching spots. If those don't work out though he would be a very interesting addition to the staff.
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                  According to Stein, Ujiri is going to explore the possibility of adding Monty Williams as an Assistant Coach:

He later added that Williams is likely to pursue any open Head Coaching spots. If those don't work out though he would be a very interesting addition to the staff.
                  I like the idea. Williams got a raw deal in Nawlins.

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                    According to Stein, Ujiri is going to explore the possibility of adding Monty Williams as an Assistant Coach:

Interesting.

We all know the strong ties between Monty and Thibs, right?

Comment

• i don't really get why monty williams was even fired.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Monty Williams would be a solid assistant coach.
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          i don't really get why monty williams was even fired.
                          It DOES explain why the Pelicans came out and said they never told him he'd be fired if they didn't make the playoffs this year though...

...Cause they were going to fire him regardless.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                            Monty Williams would be a solid assistant coach.
                            So would Dwayne Casey.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              I swung around to Demar because he's our best trade asset next to JV, and I think trading JV now would be a fucking disaster.

Look around the league and think who would want to trade for Lowry. All the teams I come up with have no assets of interest, and we'd have the huge problem of replacing our PG, GV as a starter is not going to cut it. There is a glut of really good PGs in the league and not many teams need an upgrade. It would be fun if people could think of some Lowry trade partners, but please examine what we could get back, as the teams with a PG need have all old players and no picks.

Ross can't have very much value, so I don't see him bringing back a key piece. My best idea for him would be to trade him for Sullinger, which is not exactly a game changer, but would help if he could stay healthy.

PPat has value, so he's someone else we could look at trading, but then we have zero PF on the roster.

Which brings me back to DD as the best trade asset we have. He's likely at peak value coming off his all star appearance, and he has one cheap year left on his deal, plus bird rights. If we wait until after the season, he will opt out, and sign and trades will be our only option, which isn't a very good one. Of course we could just keep him and pay him $16-25M per year, but then he would be much harder to trade, and we'd have missed our best opportunity to upgrade other parts of the roster.

I'm pretty much over having a SG who can't shoot 3s, it just doesn't work in today's NBA.

I completely agree with your assessment of DD and our roster. But the problem is Casey's coming back. And one thing Masai has always done is that he's built his roster to the strengths of his coach. Casey has a specific defensive system.. one that DD and Amir know very well. If DD is moved, and Amir doesn't come back, Casey is screwed.

I believe now is the time to trade DD but I just don't see it happening.. especially if Casey is coming back.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                I completely agree with your assessment of DD and our roster. But the problem is Casey's coming back. And one thing Masai has always done is that he's built his roster to the strengths of his coach. Casey has a specific defensive system.. one that DD and Amir know very well. If DD is moved, and Amir doesn't come back, Casey is screwed.

I believe now is the time to trade DD but I just don't see it happening.. especially if Casey is coming back.
                                I love that there is this thought that Casey will not change a thing about his system that not only failed, but was actively abused by other teams.
                                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                                X