#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    I don't know if it's just me, but I have this blind hope for Casey next season for some reason.

I was pissed when he wasn't fired, but I'm keeping myself sane by the fact that he was fully aware that the ISO offense didn't work too well, and that defensively we didn't do well, and Masai said he needs to discuss with Casey about JV's usage so maybe, just maybe he fixes these issues next season. He's owned up to almost every mistake...
    Water everywhere. Sooo tired. Can't move my arms. I'm going to drown .....what's that? A life ring. With a rope attached. I'm going to be okay...WTF! No one's holding onto the rope. Noooooooooooooo.

Comment

• After a terrible defensive year Casey's pattern is to kill all offense while being still crap defensively. Expect bottom 10 offense, 17th on Defense next year

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        After a terrible defensive year Casey's pattern is to kill all offense while being still crap defensively. Expect bottom 10 offense, 17th on Defense next year
        The thing that really gets me isn't even just that the defensive system is bad and easily exploitable.

It's that it's VERY damn energy consuming.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
          The thing that really gets me isn't even just that the defensive system is bad and easily exploitable.

It's that it's VERY damn energy consuming.
          Yup hard to watch guys work so hard while the system leaves everyone open. Like watching firefighter with squirt guns

Comment

• I kind of want to go back and watch that Brooklyn series. If you disregard the Joe Johnson isos (which is a large chunk of it I admit) I doubt you could recognize the defense after watching it for the majority of this season.

The Raptors got cocky and entitled after last season and the red hot start to this year. Which is hilarious when you think about what they actually accomplished. But who on this team had experienced that level of success before in the NBA? I mean, Hansbrough had the most playoff experience/success (right?) and always as a role player. They never had the right type of vets to keep them grounded and accountable. Coaching can't solve everything.

Though I imagine Casey didn't manage to hold them accountable enough for the team turning into a below average defensive squad but I'm fairly sure those "agendas" he mentioned were a big factor in it.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              I don't know if it's just me, but I have this blind hope for Casey next season for some reason.

I was pissed when he wasn't fired, but I'm keeping myself sane by the fact that he was fully aware that the ISO offense didn't work too well, and that defensively we didn't do well, and Masai said he needs to discuss with Casey about JV's usage so maybe, just maybe he fixes these issues next season. He's owned up to almost every mistake.

Obviously depends on the roster but I think we go into next year back to the Horns system we used extensively last year with more touches/minutes for JV. Only thing that worries me is that the one mistake that Casey didn't own up to is the fact that our defensive system doesn't suit our personnel. So here's hoping that's the reason Masai is pursuing a defensive lead assistant.
              This is almost exactly where I was 12 months ago. Despite my scepticism, I hoped Casey would fix what was failing with the defense, preserve and expand on the reasonably effective Horns offense, make use of an improved roster that addressed specific holes. Instead he overhauled the offense into something statistically more efficient but incredibly predictable, introduced a defensive approach that made little sense for the personnel he had, failed to use the supposed improvements to the roster. I'm now semi-permanently on the #firecasey bandwagon. It'll take a conference finals appearance to change my mind.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                introduced a defensive approach that made little sense for the personnel he had, failed to use the supposed improvements to the roster. I'm now semi-permanently on the #firecasey bandwagon. It'll take a conference finals appearance to change my mind.
                What approach did they introduce this season? I haven't exactly watched video and broken it down but I had assumed it was largely the same as last season.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                  What approach did they introduce this season? I haven't exactly watched video and broken it down but I had assumed it was largely the same as last season.
                  Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I thought the 'funnel towards the center' philosophy was largely a change to this year's team.

Comment

• At UConn, Ollie has proved his ability to relate to college-age players and the struggles they face. Since the Oklahoma City threat passed in mid-April, he has been on a recruiting roll, landing highly regarded transfers Shonn Miller, Sterling Gibbs and Terry Larrier and Class of 2016 prospect Mamadou Diarra. After missing the NCAA Tournament last season, hopes are again high.

Coaching professionals, of course, is a different art.

"You've got to relate to your players," Ollie said. "You've got to get them to play for you. I just think that communication is so key — you've got to let them be a part of the process. You can't simply go in there demanding your way is right. You have to let them feel part of the process and get the communication lines and keep those open.

"It's a little bit different [in college] because we have a lot of demands on them, with academics. Going up to the pros, these guys make more money than you and they've got guaranteed contracts, so it's a different ballgame and you've got to really relate to them on a different level. I think Billy's going to do that, Fred's going to do that and they've got the backing of their organization, which is a real key. Everybody has to be aligned."

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-kev...606-story.html

The anti-Casey.

Comment

• So I'm sure I've missed a lot of discussion... Other than looking at some draft stuff I've been absent from the board... But is Thibs known to be reviewing his options for next year? If he is available, I cannot for the life of me understand why we wouldn't push hard for him. Maybe we need new players to play his system, so go get them.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                        So I'm sure I've missed a lot of discussion... Other than looking at some draft stuff I've been absent from the board... But is Thibs known to be reviewing his options for next year? If he is available, I cannot for the life of me understand why we wouldn't push hard for him. Maybe we need new players to play his system, so go get them.
                        I read a piece that he is going to take at least a year off and wait on some plummier openings then (which arent available now). This could also be Masai's rationale for retaining Casey when other coaches become available (who dont work out with their current teams).

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                          This is almost exactly where I was 12 months ago. Despite my scepticism, I hoped Casey would fix what was failing with the defense, preserve and expand on the reasonably effective Horns offense, make use of an improved roster that addressed specific holes. Instead he overhauled the offense into something statistically more efficient but incredibly predictable, introduced a defensive approach that made little sense for the personnel he had, failed to use the supposed improvements to the roster. I'm now semi-permanently on the #firecasey bandwagon. It'll take a conference finals appearance to change my mind.
                          I highly doubt you have to worry about a conference finals appearance with DC at the helm. Look more for a .500 team that is first round fodder.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                            I highly doubt you have to worry about a conference finals appearance with DC at the helm. Look more for a .500 team that is first round fodder.
                            With this roster, why would a conference finals even be a goal for fans? Do a comparison of the talent on the other teams in the east and .500 along with a playoff berth might be a more realistic goal.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              With this roster, why would a conference finals even be a goal for fans? Do a comparison of the talent on the other teams in the east and .500 along with a playoff berth might be a more realistic goal.
                              More than .500 of the East sucks. Basic math means raptor are closer to .600 than .500 A lot of team will still lose 3-1 in a season series to the Raptors. Raps aren't good they just suck.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                More than .500 of the East sucks. Basic math means raptor are closer to .600 than .500 A lot of team will still lose 3-1 in a season series to the Raptors. Raps aren't good they just suck.
                                Yeah.

There were about 5 really good teams in the East last season (Atlanta, Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto and Washington) and 2 of those 5 went downhill for the second half of the year.
                                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                                X