#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    Basically, Casey is a fine coach as long as he's surrounded by outstanding assistant coaches. If some our assistants get hired away, we're in trouble.
    And it's still not necessarily that clear cut. Was he listening to his assistants before? Not an easy thing to know. Would he have made adjustments (clearly at least suggested/endorsed if not flat out pushed from the higher ups) if his job wasn't clearly on the line?

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      Personnel has definitely improved defensively, but the scheme is significantly better. Scramble defence was much harder to execute successfully, so consistency was nearly impossible. System that Greer brought is much less volatile - much easier to consistently execute successfully.
      Wow. Just wow. The amount of pages uninformed basketball opinions generates is amazing.

But to my point, imagine blitzing nonstop in football. That is what Casey was doing.

I have no issue going with his scrambling, with the right lineup, at times. But for a whole season? lol

The change was necessary and appropriate regardless of the personnel.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Wow. Just wow. The amount of pages uninformed basketball opinions generates is amazing.

But to my point, imagine blitzing nonstop in football. That is what Casey was doing.

I have no issue going with his scrambling, with the right lineup, at times. But for a whole season? lol

The change was necessary and appropriate regardless of the personnel.
        I agree but I also agree that the personnel is better individual defenders. The scheme is definitely the biggest impact imo though.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• What Casey is doing with Greer is the exact same thing that Carlisle did with him.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            DeMar isn't a bad defender.

This is exactly why I wanted to just drop this topic.
            he's average on a good day, pretty bad on a bad one.
            Last edited by KHD; Sat Feb 6, 2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              What Casey is doing with Greer is the exact same thing that Carlisle did with him.

Comment

What Casey is doing with Greer is the exact same thing that Carlisle did with him.
                Funny, I don't remember Dirk scrambling around on D.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Funny, I don't remember Dirk scrambling around on D.
                  What's your point? Coaches have multiple schemes.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

What's your point? Coaches have multiple schemes.
                    That Casey wasn't as directly in charge of the Mavs D under Carlisle as Greer appears to be under Casey.

Simply, Casey's role was less impactful on Dallas as Greer has been here.

Comment

That Casey wasn't as directly in charge of the Mavs D under Carlisle as Greer appears to be under Casey.

Simply, Casey's role was less impactful on Dallas as Greer has been here.
                      You sure about that. I was following their run closely(I hated the newly formed "Heatles"). Heard Carlisle and players say that he was the defensive coordinator.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

You sure about that. I was following their run closely(I hated the newly formed "Heatles"). Heard Carlisle and players say that he was the defensive coordinator.
                        He was but that alone doesn't mean the entire scheme was based on his principles. Carlisle was a good defensive coach before Casey and after Casey with fairly consistent schemes. Casey's scheme of choice seemed to be scramble help heavy system- something that wasn't really used in Dallas or this season. So Greer seems to be a more direct line to determining the scheme than Casey was in Dallas.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          The thing is, the two players I mentioned, Scola and DeMar, our defense is 19+ points/100 possessions better with each of them on the bench. There's no team in the league who's starters are 19+points/100 possessions better than their bench.

That, and... our bench players play against an average of 2-3 starters, our starters play against an average of 3-4 starters.

So the difference in quality of players they play against, averaged against all of their minutes, not just the starter vs. starter or bench vs. bench minutes, isn't that different. And it's safe to assume the starters playing against our bench are the better players, because those are the ones who play more minutes.

This isn't hockey, very few coaches swap 5 players at a time. So it's never as simple as benches play against benches.
                          Right, this isn't hockey. In basketball the difference of 1-2 starters is immense. Not having to play against KD, Curry, or LeBron while they're resting is going to significantly impact your performance.

Comment

He was but that alone doesn't mean the entire scheme was based on his principles. Carlisle was a good defensive coach before Casey and after Casey with fairly consistent schemes. Casey's scheme of choice seemed to be scramble help heavy system- something that wasn't really used in Dallas or this season. So Greer seems to be a more direct line to determining the scheme than Casey was in Dallas.
                            What scheme did Dallas use that year?
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              I'd rather he poach some defensive schemes from another team. Otherwise we're fried, and our season will be over, easy. That's what you get from a coach who's coddled his stars the whole time he's been here.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                Right, this isn't hockey. In basketball the difference of 1-2 starters is immense. Not having to play against KD, Curry, or LeBron while they're resting is going to significantly impact your performance.
                                But if our bench is playing against 1-2 starters against OKC, those starters are more likely to be KD and Russ than Adams.

For instance, opposing benches might only play against 1-2 starters against us, but either Lowry or DeMar is on the floor pretty much all the time. So the starters that are the weakers players are the moving pieces, not the best starters.
                                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Working...
                                X