#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
    I think that's the reason the offense is so successful, though. It's nearly impossible to game plan for. You don't know if it's suddenly going to be ISO-heavy, pass-crazy, lots of post ups, Lou Williams making crazy shots, JJ jamming the ball down the defenders throats. The Raptors have so many competent pieces that they can basically run any style they want offensively and it will work out OK.

That's why I'm not as big a proponent of "we need an offensive system." The offense works fine for the most part. Yes, there's some games lost here and there where no one gets hot and the Raptors end up just bricking it (like last night), but most games someone gets into a groove. I think the difference between now and earlier in the season is that "someone" has not been Kyle Lowry for a very long time.
    I think it works fine in most regular season games, but in "statement games" and the playoffs, it seems like DD & Lowry tend to become more ISO/hero ball oriented, which makes us much easier to game plan for. It's like a death spiral. DD/Lowry don't pass, so we fall behind. Then they feel like they need to be "the guys" to get us back in the game dual-handedly, which makes them even easier to stop, with 2 and 3 defenders on them. Then, finally they get frustrated and start tossing hot-potato passes at the end of the clock, or turn the ball over or glare at the refs because their not getting to the line. Until our recent 4 game winning streak against good teams, the Raps have choked pretty hard against good teams. DD, in particular, seems to get more performance anxiety when the stakes get higher, in big games. We beat Atlanta because of our D, and a bit of all-star hangover on their part, IMO.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      I think it works fine in most regular season games, but in "statement games" and the playoffs, it seems like DD & Lowry tend to become more ISO/hero ball oriented, which makes us much easier to game plan for. It's like a death spiral. DD/Lowry don't pass, so we fall behind. Then they feel like they need to be "the guys" to get us back in the game dual-handedly, which makes them even easier to stop, with 2 and 3 defenders on them. Then, finally they get frustrated and start tossing hot-potato passes at the end of the clock, or turn the ball over or glare at the refs because their not getting to the line. Until our recent 4 game winning streak against good teams, the Raps have choked pretty hard against good teams. DD, in particular, seems to get more performance anxiety when the stakes get higher, in big games. We beat Atlanta because of our D, and a bit of all-star hangover on their part, IMO.
      Not much to say except I disagree. Raptors have a solid record against the top teams (it's been compared to the other top teams in a few places and it matches up well), and Lowry and DeRozan going ISO isn't at all what lost the series against Brooklyn last year. I think they play less ISO against the top teams then the middle of the road teams like the Pelicans and the Bucks.
      That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
        Not much to say except I disagree. Raptors have a solid record against the top teams (it's been compared to the other top teams in a few places and it matches up well), and Lowry and DeRozan going ISO isn't at all what lost the series against Brooklyn last year. I think they play less ISO against the top teams then the middle of the road teams like the Pelicans and the Bucks.
        No they don't. Raptors have beaten the Hawks and Wizards but looked terrible against the Cavs and Bulls. There aren't any other good Eastern teams to compare and lost to the Heat early. East vs West isn't a good way to judge competition, first teams traveling West to East are always at a disadvantage especially crossing three time zones and out of conference games aren't a priority for most teams. Eye test also shows lots of crap teams before a good team shows up on the schedule.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          #ProveEm
          #SayNewThings
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• #KeepCaseyonShortLeash

I said it before, gonna write it again.
            Axel wrote:
            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
            KeonClark wrote:
            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
            KeonClark wrote:
            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

That doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

Comment

• If we want to be fair minded we need to give DC credit when he makes appropriate moves ie putting JJ into starting lineup. BUT his inability to adapt and adjust is a huge issue. His use of JV in the fourth in many games (or lack thereof) is madding let frustrating. I think he is stubborn and not that smart --a bad combination. It seems to me we need a Jerry Sloan/Gregg Popivich type coach to keep especially KL and DD in line. I think media spotlight has clearly affected KL

Comment

I don't think that it is Casey "calling ISO", so much as DD/Lou/Lowry/GV have been given an abnormally high degree of freedom to call plays on the fly, as they see fit. With the guidelines being: (a) limit turnovers, (b) drive the ball when possible & (c) get to the foul line. I believe this is what we're seeing, which would naturally lead to the main ball handlers calling their own number a lot.
                  Fully agree with this ...

Looking at Lowry, Lou and GV's stats from their pervious seasons, these guys are " me first", shoot first type players.
                  Maybe this is why Lowry was not happy in his other teams.

Now, they have the freedom to just do their ISO ball ... Our coach is adapting to his players. Would lowry be this happy if he was asked to change ??

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                    Fully agree with this ...

Looking at Lowry, Lou and GV's stats from their pervious seasons, these guys are " me first", shoot first type players.
                    Maybe this is why Lowry was not happy in his other teams.

Now, they have the freedom to just do their ISO ball ... Our coach is adapting to his players. Would lowry be this happy if he was asked to change ??
                    I feel that could very well be the case, but then again, we did play a system last year.
                    Axel wrote:
                    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Repost from JV thread:

Rick Carlisle and Rajon Rondo got into a sideline yelling match over play calling responsibilities mid-game vs the Raptors. So Carlisle sat four time all-star Rajon Rondo for the entire fourth quarter. For the record, a point guard with a championship ring who has twice as many all-star appearances as Lowry + DD, who was also a major mid-season acquisition by his GM, was just benched for an entire 4th quarter as a disciplinary measure. Dwayne Casey, are you reading this?

(I have included lots of bold and underlines for clarity lol)
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                        Repost from JV thread:

Rick Carlisle and Rajon Rondo got into a sideline yelling match over play calling responsibilities mid-game vs the Raptors. So Carlisle sat four time all-star Rajon Rondo for the entire fourth quarter. For the record, a point guard with a championship ring who has twice as many all-star appearances as Lowry + DD, who was also a major mid-season acquisition by his GM, was just benched for an entire 4th quarter as a disciplinary measure. Dwayne Casey, are you reading this?

Liked it twice
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          Repost from JV thread:

But these are very different situations.

Rondo's new to the team. They've already won a championship without him. He isn't really an alpha dog on the team - Dirk, Monta, Tyson, and maybe even Parsons are ahead of him. Also, they've already shown this year that they can be a very good team without him. Heck, maybe they're even better that way.

It's much different in Toronto. The Raptors just can't take the chance of losing either Kyle or Demar by showing them up publicly like that. Or probably not Lou either, because it seems like Kyle, Demar and Lou have formed a clique, and you lose one, you lose them all. The real equivalent would be Carlisle benching Dirk, Monta and Tyson, and there's no way he's stupid enough to do that.
                          We make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

Comment

• This is the second time that Carlisle has benched Rondo.

...and they still won!!! It's not about a single player....star or not. Casey does not bench his "star" players.

Comment

• Dwane Casey wrote: View Post

Rondo's new to the team. They've already won a championship without him. He isn't really an alpha dog on the team - Dirk, Monta, Tyson, and maybe even Parsons are ahead of him. Also, they've already shown this year that they can be a very good team without him. Heck, maybe they're even better that way.

It's much different in Toronto. The Raptors just can't take the chance of losing either Kyle or Demar by showing them up publicly like that. Or probably not Lou either, because it seems like Kyle, Demar and Lou have formed a clique, and you lose one, you lose them all. The real equivalent would be Carlisle benching Dirk, Monta and Tyson, and there's no way he's stupid enough to do that.
                              One; I don't think you should be showing your face around here just now

Two; I don't think Dirk, or Tyson would be stupid enough to really warrant it. Monta has completely turned his career around under Carlisle, so I doubt he does either.

Three; Rondo is a free agent after the season, so the risk of alienating a player and losing them is much higher with Rondo than in the Raps situation.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Dwane Casey wrote: View Post

Do you believe the Mavs/Cuban dont have a lot to lose here? I believe they gave up a first and Brandon Wright plus (?) to get Rondo who becomes a UFA after the season. This is what good coaches do in order to get respect from the rest of the team. That was pure open insurbordination during a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X