Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    Lowry's ts% is worse than dd? wtf?
    True shooting percentage takes into account free throws. DD takes a lot of them. According to the NBA stats page DD shoots a eFG% of 40% while Lowry shoots a 47% and Ross shoots a 50%. So DD shoots much worse from the field, he manages to sort of supplement it with his higher quantity of free throws.
    Last edited by DogeLover1234; Sun Mar 1, 2015, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• Honestly, I think casey's biggest shortcoming might be that he's a pussy.
      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• I don't know how I missed this quote. But this certainly gives Casey a lot more institutional cover than I previously thought. The ESPN analytics ratings said Casey was more open to analytics than has been painted in the past, and Weltman's analytics favor isos, so how can we be certain that the iso-garbage isn't all by design?

And just another note.... I doubt very much that iso-ball is conducive to playoff success; it's much more likely that very successful players have been great at iso-ball.

And this was from earlier in the thread:

stooley wrote: View Post
        So again, there's not a whole lot of concrete evidence that it won't work in the playoffs. Our offense hummed along last year in the playoffs at essentially the exact same rate in the regular season.
        We lucked out and got to play the 20th worst defense in the NBA last year. That's why a small sample size isn't that useful. Hell if we only maintained our offense at the same rate against the 20th worst defense we probably didn't do that great anyway.
        Last edited by Scraptor; Sun Mar 1, 2015, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

I don't know how I missed this quote. But this certainly gives Casey a lot more institutional cover than I previously thought. The ESPN analytics ratings said Casey was more open to analytics than has been painted in the past, and Weltman's analytics favor isos, so how can we be certain that the iso-garbage isn't all by design?

And just another note.... I doubt very much that iso-ball is conducive to playoff success; it's much more likely that very successful players have been great at iso-ball.

We lucked out and got to play the 20th worst defense in the NBA last year. That's why a small sample size isn't that useful. Hell if we only maintained our offense at the same rate against the 20th worst defense we probably didn't do that great anyway.
          Actually that Weltman pronouncement was brought up earlier in the thread (#1214...poster GLF).

Comment

• I got 99 problems but calling Demar out on his ugly shot selection aint one. - Dwayne Casey

Comment

I don't know how I missed this quote. But this certainly gives Casey a lot more institutional cover than I previously thought. The ESPN analytics ratings said Casey was more open to analytics than has been painted in the past, and Weltman's analytics favor isos, so how can we be certain that the iso-garbage isn't all by design?

But how much of that is said teams having a great ISO player who can create something out of nothing consistently? We don't have one of those.
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                Actually that Weltman pronouncement was brought up earlier in the thread (#1214...poster GLF).
                Yeah I just went back and saw it but I thought I'd requote it because I am surprised it hasn't stuck in these discussions. That is a pretty important quote in the context of this thread.
                Last edited by Scraptor; Sun Mar 1, 2015, 02:20 PM. Reason: Basketball reasons

Comment

Yeah I just went back and saw it but I thought I'd requote it because I am surprised it hasn't stuck in these discussions. That is a pretty important quite in the context of this thread.
                  Well when we get eliminated in the 1st round because iso ball is easy to stop, we'll see what they say.
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Yeah I just went back and saw it but I thought I'd requote it because I am surprised it hasn't stuck in these discussions. That is a pretty important quote in the context of this thread.
                    Just means team able to score ISO are better able to win the playoffs not that ISO leads to playoff success. Kobe is the best ISO scorer yet were elimated in the first round without help. Minimizing ISO is the best option but being able to score in ISO helps a lot.

Comment

• Just like the last 4-5 minutes of games, teams turn to their best players in the playoffs more. This means more isos. I've said this before, but isos can be effective if the players are willing to pass the ball when someone else has a much better shot. Say if help comes on a drive, leaving PP open in the corner; this is much more efficient shot and the ball should be kicked out to him. It is easy to stop when nobody is willing to make the right pass.

Comment

• Well, Joe Johnson isos did absolutely destroy us in in the playoffs last year. Iso is great if you have someone like Joe Johnson going against a team like last years Raptors, with zero people capable of guarding Joe Johnson. But, you add someone like James Johnson to guard Joe Johnson, and the Joe Johnson iso is no longer a great option. So iso can be extremely effective in the playoffs provided you have the right matchup.

We don't have anyone on our roster capable of an iso mismatch like Joe Johnson had on us last year.

Comment

• That quote is what actually really started to worry me about this team. I thought it was just Casey who was crazy and when he gets fired we would be okay, but if Weltman also has no problem with this ISO ball then we are really fucked
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• I just don't understand what is so hard about moving the ball? Is it really that difficult of a skill? I'm starting to think it is because there is NO way this team doesn't realize they need to move the ball. So why aren't they doing it?
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                              I just don't understand what is so hard about moving the ball? Is it really that difficult of a skill? I'm starting to think it is because there is NO way this team doesn't realize they need to move the ball. So why aren't they doing it?
                              All four other guys also need to move to help passing. Casey just parks guys in spots to spread the floor for Lowry or Demar to try to create. It isn't just the ball handler everyone on the team is playing ISO

Comment

Weltman's on to something. Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, etc... How could you argue with that playoff success?

Bang up job on those analytics, boys.

Comment

Working...
                                X