• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what has anderson done exactly
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
      why not, I can find 5 posts where i begged for anderson, I must be an expert right?
      When Anderson becomes a good player then we can say Masai fucked up until then nobody knows
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• To make my point we trust MU right? Casey got these scrubs to play defense once he can do it again I am sure. No one else has got them to do it, so why don't u trust him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
          When Anderson becomes a good player then we can say Masai fucked up until then nobody knows
          I'll say the same when Bruno can say he has a skillset as good as my own was when i was his age.

He's terrible.

either way you miss my point. its nothing to do with these kids.... it has to do with people thinking they know more than coaches, gms, players, scouts etc.
          Zach Lowe says something that echos remotely what people here might think, or what they want to believe and he becomes brilliant, and validates their own rudimentary thoughts on how to run a team they only know what the media tells them about.

If Zach Lowe is the answer, why is he a writer?

Comment

• #FireCasey

ceez wrote: View Post
            what has anderson done exactly
            When he does play he plays better then ross is currently that's for damn sure. Honestly in the years I been on this board I have had 1 bust and that's the small forward from St. John's that plays on Orlando harkless

Last edited by grindhouse; Wed Jan 21, 2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
              You can not turn these guys into defenders many coaches have tried.
              [/URL]
              Great offense requires great talent, great defence requires great strategy.

You can turn any 5 guys into an above average defence.

Comment

• not if they can't think or move.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                  Great offense requires great talent, great defence requires great strategy.

You can turn any 5 guys into an above average defence.
                  No strategy will create a shot blocker. Or magicly make guys fast enough to not let guards blow past them

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Funny how the concept of tanking and the idea of replacing Casey are one in the same - this team as currently coached is not getting past the first round.

Masai came in proclaiming not wanting to be a treadmill team. I'm not sure what you call one and done in the playoffs if not treadmill.

Casey was outclassed last year by a rookie head coach. He is routinely outclassed by opposition coaches in regular season.

No one has answered the question: What does Casey do well consistently?

i use to give him credit for getting the locker room together and everyone on same page. Unfortunately he has lost that one with his playing of favourites and uneven accountability. So again, What does he do well?

It is dumb to make predictions, eh? I wonder if I return to some threads if I'll find you making regular season predictions on wins or standings. Seems things are dumb only when one doesn't have an answer to the question: What does Casey do well?

By the way, nice attempt at attempting to limit the discussion to JV. JV is one of many glaring and obvious problems with the leadership of this team.
                    What Casey did well was coach a team into the top 10 offensively and defensively at one point, lead the team to a franchise record 48 wins, get within one shot of making the second round for only the second time in the entire history of this franchise, and get great buy-in from a mercurial point guard who went from not being able to stick with a team to a (borderline?) All-Star calibre player under his coaching. Also, the team's W/L has improved every year and Casey now has the best Win % of any head coach in Raptors history, even though other coaches had players named Vince Carter and Chris Bosh to work with (perennial All-Stars instead of borderline). He is not Mike Brown riding Lebron's coattails. Many people thought this roster, sans Rudy Gay, would be a lottery team. Right, and by some metrics this season he has at times been coaching the most effective NBA offense in 40 years (or whatever it is), though you'd never know it from these message boards.

All that said, I hate how the team is playing right now, as do the players, obviously. I agree with most of the points about Casey's weaknesses, his mishandling of JV, the guard-happy offense, and the disappearance of the defense. But I'll also always complain about the hyperbole of stupid internet fan forums, where in a matter of weeks a bunch of you guys go from talking about NBA championships to firing your coach mid-season and trading pretty much any player on this roster. Seriously, that just happened.

I agree with the perspective that you have to wait to see if DeMar can reintegrate and help balance things out, if Casey can ever make some adjustments, and how the current squad can do in the playoffs with this coach. Otherwise, the franchise build is not exactly off-track and there's no reason to panic. Are we really surprised that this roster is a step below the top tier in the conference? I'm not.

But yes, the shitty basketball right now is really hard to watch. I haven't bothered with several of the games lately.

End rant.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I really like this post. Like, a lot. Thanks man.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                        No strategy will create a shot blocker. Or magicly make guys fast enough to not let guards blow past them

Atlanta doesn't have a shot blocker. Shot blocker does not equal good defense.

What do Casey defenders think of our ridiculously heavy emphasis on iso's? Do you guys think it's smart that a Lou iso is run at the end of every single quarter, without fail?
                        When our offense was clicking at the beginning of the season, we ran very few iso's and moved the ball a lot more. We've gotten away from that. Why?
                        I want this team to be good like at the beginning of the year, but the wheels are falling off, and it's weird play calling, or rather a lack thereof (iso, iso, iso), combined with silly rotations that have caused it. Those are all within the coaches control. It's like Casey was coaching better for a bit, then regressed back to his old self, which is a sub-par coach. He needs to start listening to his assistants again. We need to get guys open looks on offense, not contested fade-aways to the left (the Lou and Lowry special).

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          What Casey did well was coach a team into the top 10 offensively and defensively at one point, lead the team to a franchise record 48 wins, get within one shot of making the second round for only the second time in the entire history of this franchise, and get great buy-in from a mercurial point guard who went from not being able to stick with a team to a (borderline?) All-Star calibre player under his coaching. Also, the team's W/L has improved every year and Casey now has the best Win % of any head coach in Raptors history, even though other coaches had players named Vince Carter and Chris Bosh to work with (perennial All-Stars instead of borderline). He is not Mike Brown riding Lebron's coattails. Many people thought this roster, sans Rudy Gay, would be a lottery team. Right, and by some metrics this season he has at times been coaching the most effective NBA offense in 40 years (or whatever it is), though you'd never know it from these message boards.

All that said, I hate how the team is playing right now, as do the players, obviously. I agree with most of the points about Casey's weaknesses, his mishandling of JV, the guard-happy offense, and the disappearance of the defense. But I'll also always complain about the hyperbole of stupid internet fan forums, where in a matter of weeks a bunch of you guys go from talking about NBA championships to firing your coach mid-season and trading pretty much any player on this roster. Seriously, that just happened.

I agree with the perspective that you have to wait to see if DeMar can reintegrate and help balance things out, if Casey can ever make some adjustments, and how the current squad can do in the playoffs with this coach. Otherwise, the franchise build is not exactly off-track and there's no reason to panic. Are we really surprised that this roster is a step below the top tier in the conference? I'm not.

But yes, the shitty basketball right now is really hard to watch. I haven't bothered with several of the games lately.

End rant.
                          Nice post, but I'll point out two things that incorrectly frame the argument a little unfairly.

1. Most of the posters being lumped into the "#firecasey" group are the same posters who never bought into the early season 'contender' hype, thanks to a relatively easy schedule that made the team look much better than they actually were. Those posters were just hushed by the influx of 'we got the EC no problem' fans, while enjoying the ride regardless of the question marks that continued to swirl in the background.

2. Most of the posters being lumped into the "#firecasey" group assume that any coaching change will happen in the offseason, if at all, since this season was always meant to be a developmental and evaluation year, per MU. Winning was never the #1 priority (see point #1 above), hence there's no reason to rush to judgment on the coach or any particular player.

When the basketball is so ugly, inconsistent and practically anti-team in nature (as you alluded to), how can the focus not fall on the head coach? That's all that's going on here, at least from most of the "#firecasey"-type posters, from what I can see.

Comment

• GeorgeKarlforcoach wrote: View Post
                            So when MU left the Nuggets he left with GK and I think he has been bidding his time until something like this starts to happen.

Mark my words, George Karl will be the Raptors next coach. Than we won't have to go through what Oklahoma Thunder are going through right now: 1) A limited playbook 2) Subpar rotations 3) Defensive schemes that run your team to the ground

WHOS WITH ME TO MAKE A PETITION TO GET GEORGE KARL IN T DOT!?
                            I would love to see this happen though doubt MU will make any moves until first round playoff exit.

Comment

End rant.
                              The only good defense there Raptor ever played was immediately after the trade that rendered all of Casey's defensive schemes useless. Over time that defense fell apart.

The Raptors have a 20 year history of ineptitude. Being the winningest coach is meaningless. They aren't the Cerltics. Improving incrementally to 48 win in the NBA is a joke. Teams either suck or are good, .750 - 60 wins isn't rare and neither is sub .200 Also the East has been historically bad. Doing nothing Raptor would be near .500 considering 76ers, Celtics , Orlando etc, team that purposely lost games during Casey meteoric rise.

Comment

End rant.
                                Nice post.

The issue I have is that this is a what have you done for me lately type world. Of late Casey hasn't done much.

Since the end of last February the much praised defense has gone off the rails, the offense is back to ISO, and it appears every team has the Raptors number of late - even if they don't win which I think is a testament to the talent on the roster despite many claiming the roster is not that talented.

Casey has done a positive things. But now that expectations are higher (i.e. just making the playoffs doesn't cut it anymore) it is apparent he is not the man to move forward with - it appears a few of the players know this as well. He truly is a stepping stone and has served his purpose.

The only question is when he is fired - not if. If Raps are still an obvious fragmented group playing horrendous O and porous D come all-star break, I hope he is canned. As many have pointed out, give an assistant a shot. The Raps might have a great head coach already on the payroll.

Comment

Working...
                                X