Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to beat the Raps ... a scouting report

I loved this part:
    ... one of the best ways to beat the Raptors right now is to attack them with fast guards, running their guys through tons of pick-and-rolls. If you can, try to get Jonas Valanciunas’s man involved instead of Amir Johnson’s. The Raptors have an aggressive defensive rotation that puts a lot of pressure on their bigs. Amir is amazing at being able to get back in position, but Jonas is a step slower at times and you can take advantage of this. It also causes them to be out of position for defensive rebounds, so even if you miss the shot, there’s a good chance you can get an offensive board. This will cause Coach Dwane Casey to get frustrated with JV and sit him down early, which is a huge bonus for your team since he has the 2nd highest Win Shares, TVA, and PER on the Raptors behind Kyle Lowry. He’s also first on the team in Win Shares per 48 minutes. You can also try to attack Valanciunas to get him into foul trouble. That will, again, cause Coach Casey to get frustrated and bench Jonas. But let’s say you have no big men and JV is tearing up your team in the first half? Don’t worry, because Casey will still bench him and neglect to go back to him at the end of the game for some reason.

Here's the rest:
    http://therunnersports.com/2015/01/2...outing-report/

And this is why Casey and his system sucks and why he's preventing JV from becoming the next Shaq
    2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

or you could go small early & get him benched sooner. there's a lot of options for other teams to bench JV

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
        I loved this part:
        ... one of the best ways to beat the Raptors right now is to attack them with fast guards, running their guys through tons of pick-and-rolls. If you can, try to get Jonas Valanciunas’s man involved instead of Amir Johnson’s. The Raptors have an aggressive defensive rotation that puts a lot of pressure on their bigs. Amir is amazing at being able to get back in position, but Jonas is a step slower at times and you can take advantage of this. It also causes them to be out of position for defensive rebounds, so even if you miss the shot, there’s a good chance you can get an offensive board. This will cause Coach Dwane Casey to get frustrated with JV and sit him down early, which is a huge bonus for your team since he has the 2nd highest Win Shares, TVA, and PER on the Raptors behind Kyle Lowry. He’s also first on the team in Win Shares per 48 minutes. You can also try to attack Valanciunas to get him into foul trouble. That will, again, cause Coach Casey to get frustrated and bench Jonas. But let’s say you have no big men and JV is tearing up your team in the first half? Don’t worry, because Casey will still bench him and neglect to go back to him at the end of the game for some reason.

Here's the rest:
        http://therunnersports.com/2015/01/2...outing-report/

I laughed at this.

I'm past the point of frustration.

I just laugh now.

Casey will be gone by the summer - book it.

Comment

which is a huge bonus for your team since he has the 2nd highest Win Shares, TVA, and PER on the Raptors behind Kyle Lowry.

Dude still looks awkward from time to time, but he learned how to play American basketball!

Comment

This is hilarious.. great find.

Comment

if you have guards that can't keep a guy in front of them, is it really rocket science to beat them and get the big in foul trouble or out of position?

People here need to learn the game. Casey has manpower issues. His team can't defend, and his big isn't a good defender.

Maybe you ought to look at it a little differently.... what has the Mesiah ujuri done lately?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                I laughed at this.

I'm past the point of frustration.

I just laugh now.

Casey will be gone by the summer - book it.
                I hope you're right man, I hope you're right. This is just embarrassing.
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                  if you have guards that can't keep a guy in front of them, is it really rocket science to beat them and get the big in foul trouble or out of position?

People here need to learn the game. Casey has manpower issues. His team can't defend, and his big isn't a good defender.

Maybe you ought to look at it a little differently.... what has the Mesiah ujuri done lately?
                  This is becoming a more apparent issue - the poor fit of Casey's schemes and his personnel. He coached a championship defense in Dallas, but that was anchored by Tyson Chandler, Shawn Marion, and Jason Kidd - historically great defenders, who even if past their prime (Kidd) were still very high IQ defensive players. The Raptors are not anchored by anyone on that level, let alone three of them. JV is not a Chandler-type of center at all. JJ could play a Marion role but he still has some maturing to do and doesn't get the minutes or have a 3 pt shot to keep him on the floor.

Should Ujiri find the personnel to fit Casey's plans, or should Casey make adjustments to suit the abilities of his roster? I think it's the coach's job to be flexible - see Greg Popovich, who evolved his systems to stay current with NBA rule changes and trends and to suit his personnel. Unflexible coaches like D'Antoni and George Karl look pretty bad when they don't have the personnel to run their systems, or when their systems are exposed.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

yes, but again, like it so often comes up, people compare a coach to the greatest in the league. Hands down you take pop here..... but lets be honest.... are those guys available?

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                      This is becoming a more apparent issue - the poor fit of Casey's schemes and his personnel. He coached a championship defense in Dallas, but that was anchored by Tyson Chandler, Shawn Marion, and Jason Kidd - historically great defenders, who even if past their prime (Kidd) were still very high IQ defensive players. The Raptors are not anchored by anyone on that level, let alone three of them. JV is not a Chandler-type of center at all. JJ could play a Marion role but he still has some maturing to do and doesn't get the minutes or have a 3 pt shot to keep him on the floor.

Should Ujiri find the personnel to fit Casey's plans, or should Casey make adjustments to suit the abilities of his roster? I think it's the coach's job to be flexible - see Greg Popovich, who evolved his systems to stay current with NBA rule changes and trends and to suit his personnel. Unflexible coaches like D'Antoni and George Karl look pretty bad when they don't have the personnel to run their systems, or when their systems are exposed.
                      This...absolutely. And then you add pieces slowly that can usher in aspects of your system if in the view of everybody it makes the team better.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

yes, but again, like it so often comes up, people compare a coach to the greatest in the league. Hands down you take pop here..... but lets be honest.... are those guys available?
                        Yeah I don't know about a replacement - not sure how you come up with a definitive opinion on a guy with no track record, and the list of experienced coaches who are clearly better than Casey and potentially available is very, very short.

I'm more sticking to the point that for Casey to be a really good coach, he ought to be able to adapt to his current situation and coach his way out of it, whatever that entails. If he just keeps trying to pound square pegs into round holes, then I'm good with moving on this summer and finding somebody else.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

fair enough.

But if thats the move, you gotta think there will be roster adjustments as well.

Comment

Simplistic article, cherry picking stats that advance the narrative

NBA's Net Rating has JV as the teams worst rotation player and the only minus on the team.
                            RPM/WAR have JV as a minus.
                            Box +/- has JV as a negative

Don't think JV is as good as his numbers say or as bad as the stats I quoted. However, people can continue on with their confirmation bias.

Raps playing time bigs.

Amir 26.7 min/game
                            JV 26.3 min/game
                            PPat 26.0 min/game
                            Hans 14.0 min/game

Guess Casey gets frustrated and benches all of them.

The author seems clueless (or outright spewing bullshit) with this one: "You can also try to attack Valanciunas to get him into foul trouble. That will, again, cause Coach Casey to get frustrated and bench Jonas."

Every NBA coach benches players when they get into foul trouble. Only I guess other coaches do it without being frustrated. What a crock of shit.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

fair enough.

But if thats the move, you gotta think there will be roster adjustments as well.
                              No big roster adjustments. Just turf the moron.

Comment

Working...
                              X