Calderon Took the Boos Personal Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calderon Took the Boos Personal Tonight

While I can understand the fans frustration with this team, I also think its unnecessary for the booing.

The Raptors were trailing the Celtics by a basket when Calderon shot an airball, hardly a rare occurrence in any NBA game any night, when the boos started tumbling down.

Forget that undermanned Raptors would go on to stretch the Celtics almost to the limit with Chris Bosh in a Cleveland hospital after nose surgery and Hedo Turkoglu at a Toronto hospital getting a CT scan on a nose injury of his own.

That was the moment of the night that hurt Calderon more than anything.

“I feel really hurt today when I was out there and we missed a couple of shots and several fans booed us,” said Calderon. “I took it a little bit personal (because) I give a lot to this team and it was a tough situation.

We’re trying to win, we’re trying to go to the playoffs and it was a tough one for me.

“When we say we have to stay together, we’ve got to stay together for real. Everyone wants to be in those playoffs. If we miss one shot and we don’t have the people with us, it’s tough to play like that. It was a tough one.”

And it’s likely to get tougher.
    Source - Click here

I feel bad for Jose. But it wasn't the missed shot in of itself.....its a whole bunch of things isnt it? I supposed it just was too much for a few (which grew) when he missed it all. Lets face it Jose's less than stellar play is one of the reasons for where the team is..and since one cant boo a bad defensive play...well then an air ball at the wrong time is going to do it.

Comment

It doesn't help that whoever Jose is guarding immediately gets on fire like he just dropped 3 straight in NBA jam.

Raptor fans are a fickle and mercurial bunch, a couple people start booing and the rest of the crowd frustrated without another outlet let him have it. Did he deserve it...probably not, but this is the same crowd that went nuts when Reggie got introduced.

Comment

I also feel bad for Jose, definitely didn't deserve the boo for the airball. If anything, he deserved the boo for force-feeding Reggie. I would rather see Jose shoot 5 air-balls in a row than see Reggie crack the backboard with his lay-up attempts.

Comment

The booing is so dumb.

I can understand booing when we're getting blown out at home to Atlanta way back in November because there was no effort on the floor, but last night we played 8 men and kept it close without Bosh and Turkoglu. The Raps have some great fans but booing has become almost fashionable to those who just show up to the game on free tickets. Cunts.

Comment

Agree with Arse, I'm with Jose in this one, at this point of the season there's nothing you can do to change the situation where the Raptors are so why booing and make feel your home team like a visitor. Let's cheer them now as hard as we can and hope for a change next season

Comment

I just used the airball as an excuse to boo him for all the other horrible plays on offense and defense he commited all season. I'm so pent up with anger that I had to boo him. Honestly since day one I have never liked him. Nothing personal. I know he plays his little spanish heart out every night, but he physically can't hack it on defense, and sometimes i really wonder "why did he just make that play"?

Just compare him to Jared Jack, they are on two total different planets! now i'm not say JJ is perfect either, but he defintley put this team on his back and plays with intensity on a pretty consistant basis. And his defense ain't half bad either.

anyways I just hope that Calderon will soon be an ex raptor and i can once again feel confident in our floor general.
              Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Basketball in Canada, what were they thinking??!?!!

Comment

That was an ugly moment. Calderon is right to be upset.

Hell, I'm irked by that reaction nevermind what it's like for one of players.
                  nbaroundtable

Comment

I agree with Jose 100% on this one when he says he didn't deserve to get booed for an air ball.

Comment

Booing our own team or players always sort of embarrasses me, even for returning players ... with the exception of you know who. Never done it and I doubt I ever will. If I was a player and got booed by my own fans, almost regardless of circumstance ... it sure wouldn’t help things ... and, right or wrong, I’d probably start to hate them.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        The booing is so dumb.

I can understand booing when we're getting blown out at home to Atlanta way back in November because there was no effort on the floor, but last night we played 8 men and kept it close without Bosh and Turkoglu. The Raps have some great fans but booing has become almost fashionable to those who just show up to the game on free tickets. Cunts.
                        Hell if the POTUS can get booed when he tries to throw out the first pitch than certainly an ordinary NBA player can get booed.

PC has definitely negatively affected our world and let a lot of bad things run amok and spread like a bad virus.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I was there, and though I didn't boo, I was tempted. As others pointed out, it wasn't directed at Jose so much as at the team for a pretty crappy effort on a couple of consecutive offensive efforts. Watching Bargs put up a missed three was annoying, but getting the offensive rebound in the hand of the PG could have been a great opportunity to reset and try to run a play with a full 24 seconds. Instead we got another off-target three with about 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

Damn, I think I might have just talked myself into thinking that people were booing Calderon specifically.

Comment

I'm with Big Red.
                            and i think the air ball was a culmination of things from the game, and to a certain degree, the season.
                            Two plays before in this important game, we shot an airball, then Jose gets a wide open shot where the closest defender was sitting with me in section 309, and he bricks it.
                            One person in the stands called it, "$8 million dollars of clutch right there"
                            i think that was a big part of the boos.
                            Booing does suck, i too get embarrassed from it, but unfortunately it's easier to boo than to collectively scream "c'mon Jose this is a goddamn important game and we're overpaying you so the least you can do as a person who plays professional basketball is hit the rim."

Comment

Poor Jose. Maybe if he looked at the bigger picture he'd get it. People weren't booing the airball on it's own. They're booing a season full of air balls (literally and figuratively).

Comment

Working...
                              X