No announcement yet.

A tale of two point guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lebron low on both lists, seems like he just takes a back seat when the Cavs are trailing

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      Lebron low on both lists, seems like he just takes a back seat when the Cavs are trailing
      Lebron can score at >60% at the rim. He is the highest percentage shot but if they need a three he will pass to an open shooter. I don't think I've ever seen him pull up for a three to win or tie.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Lebron can score at >60% at the rim. He is the highest percentage shot but if they need a three he will pass to an open shooter. I don't think I've ever seen him pull up for a three to win or tie.
        pretty sure he did that last year against golden state and won the game with a pull up 3, while they were down 2.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
          pretty sure he did that last year against golden state and won the game with a pull up 3, while they were down 2.
          He was feeling it and it was a cocky move against Curry. Showboating in a meaningless game. In crunch time he isn't pulling up with time on the clock.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            He was feeling it and it was a cocky move against Curry. Showboating in a meaningless game. In crunch time he isn't pulling up with time on the clock.
            oh so now it needs to be in a specific situation in a certain type of game that you count what a pull up 3 is. got it.

Comment

Interesting op post.

Ironically with such a diverse style in situational needs for a W....both teams will be tied in their records if the Raps win tonight. The simple answer for me that both players are leaders on their teams and go to their strengths when called for. Lowry has always chosen shoot over pass in his career while Wall if not in transition to the basket prefers to pass especially with some of the weapons he has on his team. There was a time (as late as last year) when he would shoot too much with a lot of bricking and was being doubted about his first overall pick selection. He has changed.

Comment

On a side note, there sure are a lot of fans that seem to know exactly what is going on in a player's or coach's head at specific moments throughout a game and thew season. I find it amazing that they are just sitting in their jammy pants on a Sunday writing in a fan forum instead of doing deep analysis and strategy planning for a professional NBA team. Surely working for an NBA team pays better.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  oh so now it needs to be in a specific situation in a certain type of game that you count what a pull up 3 is. got it.
                  Yes, conference game versus a rival means more than out of conference game on a road trip. Nobody wants overtime when you're on the road and comfortably sitting second.

Comment

TeamEd wrote: View Post
                    Not to be all semantic about it, but the number is looking at attempts with behind in score at anytime, not just late.

If I were to guess, I'd say that coaching has a fair amount to do with it. It's like, when the team trails it will naturally go to the offensive sets it trusts the most to try and get back into the game. For the Raps, that means Kyle with the ball, probably shooting. For the Wiz, it means Wall with the ball, probably passing. For the Grizzlies, it probably means two man play with Gasol and Conley.
                    People in high-stress situations default to their greatest strength. Wall has all the tools to create and get guys open with passes. Conley obviously has two big and better scoring options to feed. Lowry's primary skill is just taking big shots and giving a shit when the game is on the line.

I'm sure Wittman and Casey are saying similar things to Wall and Lowry in the 4th quarter, like, "We need you to create/attack in transition/slow the game down etc." Wall defaults to passes, Lowry defaults to using his dribble to take tricky shots.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                      People in high-stress situations default to their greatest strength. Wall has all the tools to create and get guys open with passes. Conley obviously has two big and better scoring options to feed. Lowry's primary skill is just taking big shots and giving a shit when the game is on the line.

I'm sure Wittman and Casey are saying similar things to Wall and Lowry in the 4th quarter, like, "We need you to create/attack in transition/slow the game down etc." Wall defaults to passes, Lowry defaults to using his dribble to take tricky shots.
                      Lowry ran an ISO five times down two before a TO led to an Amir dunk. That's running a play no matter what. Even if Casey didn't call it he didn't stop it.

Comment

It's on Casey to recognize that Lowry can do a lot but he's not a creator like Wall. The greatest weakness this year and last year is that we don't have players that are truly exceptional at creating their own shot.

That being said, we've seen a lot of guys missing wide open three's the past few games. Part of it has to be Lowry, in the fourth quarter, just being like, 'fuck it, I can kick it out or try and shoot this crazy runner.'

Comment

What's startling about this pass is that John Wall immediately gets back on defense after making it, that's how open he knows Gortat is. Meanwhile, everyone else, including his teammates, are just baffled by how easy Wall made basketball look.

https://gfycat.com/FancyInstructiveBovine

Comment

I don't post on here often....that being said, you guys are ridiculous. Utter nonsense...I suppose that's your right...but still, come on.

Comment

CalibreMC wrote: View Post
                              I don't post on here often....that being said, you guys are ridiculous. Utter nonsense...I suppose that's your right...but still, come on.
                              Like what? Enlighten the thread.
                              2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

I think Lowry, DeMar, and Casey are all on the same page with their "I got this" mentality - interesting to see stats that back it up for Lowry. You only have to watch them play a few games to see them doing this regularly, and they say as much in interviews about "my team" "those are our guys" "those are our shots" etc.

I'm completely fine with it during the regular season. I'm pretty uncomfortable with it during the playoffs, when defenses will know this tendency and play against it. DeMar and Lowry are both pretty guardable in those situations, and instead of passing out of a tough spot they'll still try to jack up a 20 ft fadeaway J against 2+ defenders. I don't like that shot.

Lowry dribbled through/into four Nets before forcing up a shot against 3 of them and getting stuffed by Paul Pierce. That will happen again if this approach doesn't change.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X