Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Lowry getting voted in as starter to NBA ASG change anything for Toronto perception among players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Lowry getting voted in as starter to NBA ASG change anything for Toronto perception among players?

Wow.... super long title

Do you think Lowry getting voted in as a starter for the East in ASG change perception among NBA players of Toronto?

It has always been said that Toronto's market is Canada.

Does this help them realize the power of the polite Canucks?

What do you think?

I'm going to take the easy answer...

It just can't possibly hurt. If it does anything for perceptions, it can only be positive.

Comment

It's long been said that Toronto is one of the NBA players' favorite cities to visit, and the passion for the hometown/national fan base should be well known as well, both from the previous 'glory' days (ie: Vinsanity) and other sports (Blue Jays' glory days, Leafs year round). I think it all comes down the desire/trepidation to live in another country, as well as the myriad of misperceptions about Canada and the differences between the two countries.

For some Americans (not just players and/or agents), any differences are minor or completely unnoticeable. For others, it's a night and day difference - ie: how many times have reporters/experts/news anchors/etc... talked about the harsh Canadian winters, which in reality are no different than most of the north-eastern quarter of the US? Myths are perpetuated by ignorance and no fan vote is going to change that. For others, the biggest 'issue' with Canada is simply that it isn't the US.

Comment

Well Kyle's mentioned the whole country multiple times in his thank-yous, so at the very least he gets it. But I think him beating DWade will get noticed by the players. Having an unassuming, gritty player start the ASG over much flashier counterparts is a pretty big deal.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned much is that we've now had two different players make the team in back-to-back years, which can only help cement our legitimacy. It will help dispel the myth that being up in Canada means you don't get recognized.

Comment

For many (players and non) getting voted in is a big deal I believe. It shows recognition...one gets on ESPN Center and there is that smoke&fire entrance on game night player announcement etc etc. For those who felt being a Raptor would have prevented one attaining the accolade and hence possibly a bigger next contract then Lowry becoming an AS removes/lessens that perception.

I personally think it was essentially the Canadian vote that got him in and paradoxically if he were eg in Atlanta he would not have (possibly the coaches would have). The national vote is becoming crucial now....JV did quite well I understand...it had to be the Lithuania vote to some extent.

Comment

along with the raptors current winning record, getting voted in has got to look pretty good for the team. that not only shows a winning team (record-wise at least, outside of the slide right now) but also a rabid and supportive fanbase.

in contrast, despite the hawks basically playing like the best team in the entire league right now, not 1 hawk was voted in by their fans.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              It's long been said that Toronto is one of the NBA players' favorite cities to visit, and the passion for the hometown/national fan base should be well known as well, both from the previous 'glory' days (ie: Vinsanity) and other sports (Blue Jays' glory days, Leafs year round). I think it all comes down the desire/trepidation to live in another country, as well as the myriad of misperceptions about Canada and the differences between the two countries.

For some Americans (not just players and/or agents), any differences are minor or completely unnoticeable. For others, it's a night and day difference - ie: how many times have reporters/experts/news anchors/etc... talked about the harsh Canadian winters, which in reality are no different than most of the north-eastern quarter of the US? Myths are perpetuated by ignorance and no fan vote is going to change that. For others, the biggest 'issue' with Canada is simply that it isn't the US.
              Changing perceptions is a glacial process, CRF. This one thing isn't going to change anyone's minds, but it is another step towards eroding the mental barriers that make players instantly eliminate Toronto as an interesting place to play and be appreciated. Hosting the ASG is another step, the practice facility is another step, a deep playoff run would be another nice step, more tv time, etc etc.

We're never going to be on par with a New York or LA or even Chicago or Miami, but if we can get into the tier just below that, then maybe a winning culture, a good FO, and a rabid fanbase and the corresponding endorsement opportunities can help us overhaul our free agent fortunes.

Comment

I don't really know if it helps that much. Wall got voted in.. does that mean Washington has become a hotbed for free agents? What about Minnesota when Love got voted in?

I'd like to think it will, but it probably doesn't really have too much of an impact unfortunately.

Comment

Best thing to influence would be player seeing fit and role as opposed to market and reputation. Everybody on the Knicks and Lakers are seen as scrubs regardless of anything they do on the court.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I don't really know if it helps that much. Wall got voted in.. does that mean Washington has become a hotbed for free agents? What about Minnesota when Love got voted in?

I'd like to think it will, but it probably doesn't really have too much of an impact unfortunately.
                    i would say washington is definitely a hot bed for free agents, considering all the KD talk. as for minnesota, you still have to be on a winning team to look good.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I'm going to take the easy answer...

It just can't possibly hurt. If it does anything for perceptions, it can only be positive.
                      Have to agree. Might not do anything good, but there's no way it's bad.

Of course, we'll have to see if the success pays off this offseason.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        i would say washington is definitely a hot bed for free agents, considering all the KD talk. as for minnesota, you still have to be on a winning team to look good.
                        Washington isn't until Durant really considers them.. and if he does.. he's just going "home" like Lebron did last summer. The OP didn't talk about winning though.

Comment

All star appearances often trigger salary bonuses, so yeah, its going get the attention of players and more importantly, player agents. Ironically, Lowry may not have had such bonus clause incentive in his contract.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

The major difference being of course Wall in Washington and Love in Minnesota got voted in because of United States-wide recognition. Wall is a national star has been since college. It wasn't the "Washington vote" although I'm sure Wizards fans helped the case.

Lowry was voted in almost entirely because of Canada. You think any NBA fans in LA, North Carolina or Florida were voting for Kyle Lowry? No, they were voting for John Wall and Dwyane Wade.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Imagine for a minute that the Raptors have a good playoff run this year. Maybe not championship contender run; but enough to make them one of the biggest stories in pro Canadian sports (which, given the state of most of our hockey teams and our one baseball team, wouldn't take much). Perhaps mix in a good showing by the national team at FIBA Americas, earning a berth in the Olympics. Factor in the hype of the all-star game in Toronto next year. Top that off with a half-decent start for Raptors next year. If those things fall into place, then you could have the most powerful voting block that the all-star game has ever seen; three Raptors starters next year is not outside the realm of possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X