• Time
  • Show
Clear All

he's been away from coaching too long

i want a bright, young mind.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Just wow. Imagine living in a world where you assumed that all of the people currently in leadership positions were 100% right all of the time and completely above critique.
      Love your hyperbolic sensationalism.

The world isn't black and white.

Of course they're not right all the time, and forums such as these are mostly about critique.

I've said on a number of occasions I don't care if he's fired or not. That's fact
      I don't consider him a particularly good coach by NBA standards That's opinion.

But if I think i know how to coach the Toronto Raptors better than Duane Casey, or any other NBA coach, that's delusion.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I would love JVG as a coach. I think he's one of a very small group of very good, experienced NBA coaches that could conceivably come to Toronto and would be a definite upgrade over Casey.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I feel like there have been plenty of other coaching opportunities in the last 8 years for JVG to take and if he didn't take them then he won't wanna coach us. I mean at the start of every single coach search his name comes up and is quickly dropped once he says he likes broadcasting.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

I'm with ceez on this one.

I'd rather MU go the route of Atlanta when they plucked Budenholzer off Pops' staff.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              Just wow. Imagine living in a world where you assumed that all of the people currently in leadership positions were 100% right all of the time and completely above critique.
              You're comparing bitching about NBA coaching to fighting fascism and taking down the man.

a) Casey's is not persecuting you personally with your coaching. b) what you know about the organization, it's coach, it's players, is only the final product of the floor — which is only 10% of the all the work that goes in to making an NBA basketball team. It's the only 10% that matters, and the funnest 10% to talk about, but in reality, even the most 'knowledgeable' fan knows almost shit all about what really is happening behind the scenes.

Maybe their showcasing GV and Hansbrough before the deadline. Maybe JJ is an alcoholic. Maybe Nick Nurse is an alcoholic, and Casey has been understaffed. Maybe Masai has put Casey on notice, and Casey is now coaching for his life. All this kind of shit would impact coaching decisions.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                You're comparing bitching about NBA coaching to fighting fascism and taking down the man.

a) Casey's is not persecuting you personally with your coaching. b) what you know about the organization, it's coach, it's players, is only the final product of the floor — which is only 10% of the all the work that goes in to making an NBA basketball team. It's the only 10% that matters, and the funnest 10% to talk about, but in reality, even the most 'knowledgeable' fan knows almost shit all about what really is happening behind the scenes.

Maybe their showcasing GV and Hansbrough before the deadline. Maybe JJ is an alcoholic. Maybe Nick Nurse is an alcoholic, and Casey has been understaffed. Maybe Masai has put Casey on notice, and Casey is now coaching for his life. All this kind of shit would impact coaching decisions.
                I can imagine Sterner doing a few lines before his half time interviews lol. Not sure how much effect that would have on players performances though.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Youth is over rated. Bright and young are an oxymoron.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    I can imagine Sterner doing a few lines before his half time interviews lol. Not sure how much effect that would have on players performances though.
                    It gets them psyched like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.

Thibs, anyone? There's a lot of noise out of the Bulls offices about Thibs running his players into the ground (not untrue) but it might be their management trying to keep their coach in check through the media.

Comment

It gets them psyched like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.

Thibs, anyone? There's a lot of noise out of the Bulls offices about Thibs running his players into the ground (not untrue) but it might be their management trying to keep their coach in check through the media.
                      Are you not concerned about Thibs running our players into the ground if he coached here? He is a great coach no doubt, but his propensity to use only 2-3 players off the bench regularly is a little worrisome.

Comment

JVG will continue to be the imaginary savior for basketball fans worldwide. A time almost 10 years ago when he last coached when having a bottom half (at best) offense and great defense was good enough to get you in the Conference finals. Offensively inept basketball is a thing of the past. Sorry folks, times have changed.

See Hawks, Atlanta.

Casey is going to be here for the rest of the year. Probably next year too unless the team starts really doing bad. Might as well get used to it. I am!
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Didn't JVG really have just 1 good year (that 1999 Cinderella run with the 8th seeded Knicks)? And in a lockout shortened season, if memory serves correctly.

Seems like we're overrating this guy simply because he says things on TV that his colleagues are afraid to say.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Didn't JVG really have just 1 good year (that 1999 Cinderella run with the 8th seeded Knicks)? And in a lockout shortened season, if memory serves correctly.

Seems like we're overrating this guy simply because he says things on TV that his colleagues are afraid to say.
                            He's coached some great big men (Ewing, Oakley, Yao Ming, Camby) so it would be interesting to see what he could do with Big Val.

JVG is a guy who can draw up plays at the end of games. He's level-headed, and we wont have some of the same problems we have with utilizing the roster (Casey favors shot jackers, not efficient players like James Johnson)

JVG is a guy who can move away from iso-metric play and into a real system. He's a guy that makes adjustments in the playoffs, and could win you a series.

I don't think Thibs would work well here - we dont have the defensive talent that would suit him well.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                              Are you not concerned about Thibs running our players into the ground if he coached here? He is a great coach no doubt, but his propensity to use only 2-3 players off the bench regularly is a little worrisome.
                              Yes. But Thibs is a brilliant coach otherwise. It's like an Achille's heel. But I have a hard time believing there are many other coaches that could get as much out of a roster as that guy.

Comment

Yes. But Thibs is a brilliant coach otherwise. It's like an Achille's heel. But I have a hard time believing there are many other coaches that could get as much out of a roster as that guy.
                                Not to mention it would be pretty hard to select only 8 total players in this roster to get run per game. We have a deep bench. Each with skills that can definitely be utilized by an elite coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X