Rumour: Raptors Still Looking For A Big Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumour: Raptors Still Looking For A Big Man

The Raptors are one of several teams sniffing around for a roster upgrade, specifically at the power forward spot. A few names continue to surface around league sources when talking about Toronto, the biggest being Indiana’s David West, the next is Chicago’s Taj Gibson, then Denver’s Kenneth Faried and then there is a long list of B and C tier names that Toronto might consider at the deadline if all else fails.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...for-a-big-man/
    David West
    8.62%
    Taj Gibson
    34.48%
    Kenneth Faried
    20.69%
    Another option
    8.62%
    Stand pat and roll with what we've got
    27.59%

I'd prefer to stand pat. Faried isn't an answer for the team's problems, Gibson likely isn't available and West will be too expensive.

Comment

I'm sure plenty of big men in the league are clamoring to get into Toronto. Who wouldn't want to mindlessly run up and down the floor, set screens, and barely touch the ball if you can't shoot it from 20 feet out?
      OG is our king

Comment

Taj Gibson. No brainer. Don't think he's going anywhere though.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Sean Deveney reported this yesterday and said Gibson is on the block:

Gibson’s name has been connected to much of the league over the last few months, from Los Angeles to Toronto to Phoenix to Detroit to Portland.

In recent weeks, he has not played with the type of energy for which he has been known, and there has been speculation that he is frustrated with the addition of Nikola Mirotic and Pau Gasol (though his playing time has not changed much). Gibson still has two years and $17.4 million on his deal, which is a problem in moving him.
          He's signed through 2016-17, though, so he would eat into our capspace for the 2016 Free Agency Bonanza.

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
            I'm sure plenty of big men in the league are clamoring to get into Toronto. Who wouldn't want to mindlessly run up and down the floor, set screens, and barely touch the ball if you can't shoot it from 20 feet out?
            Lol. But what about the unlimited offensive rebounding opportunities....

Comment

I'd be shocked if Gibson was available from Chicago. If he is, I'd be worried about the steep price tag - Ross & 1st? DeRozan?

David West wouldn't be a bad short-term acquisition, but I'm not convinced he's a significant upgrade over Amir & Patterson/Hansbrough, especially once the trade cost is factored in. He'd be a fat expiring contract to use as a trade chip next season, ahead of the loaded 2016 free agent class.

I think Faried would be a good longer-term replacement for Amir. If JV is being developed as a traditional post-up big, then Faried could be a good option as a rebounder/glue-guy type PF. Just as Amir was well developed after arriving in Toronto, I think Faried has the potential to become very effective doing all the little things like Amir does. Getting him at the deadline would likely mean upsetting the team's chemistry though, since it would likely cost the Raptors Amir and other assets (Ross? DeRozan? expirings & multiple 1sts?).

Biyombo is another guy that could be targeted in a smaller deal. As an expiring contract, Charlotte could decide to cash him in now rather than losing him in free agency, assuming they have no interest in paying him big bucks in the offseason ($5.2M qualifying offer). Would an expiring (Hansbrough?) and a 2nd round pick be enough?

Comment

Taj is the one I'd be most interested in - he's one of like, 4 players in the league who have similar rim protection and net defensive impact stats as Amir Johnson (prime Amir, not shell-of-his-former-self Amir).
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  Taj is the one I'd be most interested in - he's one of like, 4 players in the league who have similar rim protection and net defensive impact stats as Amir Johnson (prime Amir, not shell-of-his-former-self Amir).
                  If we were going after Taj it would probably require Lou, I would be a little fearful of putting an impact guy like that in the hands of a direct conference rival... But him being here would be excellent. There was a trade posted in the trade proposal section that involves Toronto, Chicago & Denver. Which in the end lands us Taj & Chandler. I will double check but I believe it involved us parting with fields, hands, Lou, and two picks.. But like I said I will check.

How does this look?
                  Lowry / Vasquez
                  DD / Ross
                  Chandler / JJ
                  Taj / 2pat
                  JV / Amir

Or would we swap Amir and Taj?

Comment

We're definitely trading one of Amir or 2Pat if we're getting another PF.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                      We're definitely trading one of Amir or 2Pat if we're getting another PF.
                      Doesn't Taj play backup C for chicago?

Comment

I don't see the need for a PF this season. Only reason would be if it's a clear upgrade (all star) over Amir and 2Pat, which isn't a "deadline deal". The biggest need to me is a gigantic backup center. Trade Vasquez and Hansbrough for a low key pass first PG and a big burly center. That would be sweet.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Can a package deal of Taj & Thibs be arranged?

Sorry just dreaming.

Comment

breakin_ankles wrote: View Post
                            If we were going after Taj it would probably require Lou, I would be a little fearful of putting an impact guy like that in the hands of a direct conference rival... But him being here would be excellent. There was a trade posted in the trade proposal section that involves Toronto, Chicago & Denver. Which in the end lands us Taj & Chandler. I will double check but I believe it involved us parting with fields, hands, Lou, and two picks.. But like I said I will check.

How does this look?
                            Lowry / Vasquez
                            DD / Ross
                            Chandler / JJ
                            Taj / 2pat
                            JV / Amir

Or would we swap Amir and Taj?
                            that's a great lineup. who would we be giving for chandler?

Comment

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/695176

Comment

Working...
                              X