Standings Watch: Playoff Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    Seems like it's a tough matchup no matter where we end up 2-4. Washington, Milwaukee, and the Pacers (most likely). With Washington and Milwaukee likely coming down to the wire where they end up 5 or 6.
    If Indy hangs on, I'll be shocked. Boston seems to better now and Olynyk is coming back. They seem ready to win that 7th or 8th seed.
    Axel wrote:
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    KeonClark wrote:
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
    KeonClark wrote:
    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
      If Indy hangs on, I'll be shocked. Boston seems to better now and Olynyk is coming back. They seem ready to win that 7th or 8th seed.
      PG will return in a couple of weeks.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        PG will return in a couple of weeks.
        I still think Indy just should've tanked the season.

PG comes back and...what? Are they a contender this year? He's been out so long that he might not shake the rust off at all this season. Plus his injury was so gruesome I don't think it would've been a bad thing to sit him out the whole year and play it safe.

Would've been a good opportunity to tank, trade West for another pick or two and cap relief, and try to do a quick rebuild in the summer.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

PG comes back and...what? Are they a contender this year? He's been out so long that he might not shake the rust off at all this season. Plus his injury was so gruesome I don't think it would've been a bad thing to sit him out the whole year and play it safe.

Would've been a good opportunity to tank, trade West for another pick or two and cap relief, and try to do a quick rebuild in the summer.
          I don't think there were any takers for West, at least that would give up picks for him. The Pacers just have too much talent to tank effectively. Look at how bad the NYK and Sixers rosters are by comparison, it's not even close. Now that Hill is back Indiana looks pretty damn good. Throw in PG, and maybe they can win a 1st round series. If we stick at the 2 seed and have to play the Pacers in round 1 I'd be very worried.

Comment

Agreed. I still have no idea how they won all those games early in the season. They've beaten some real good teams. I remember them playing a healthy Bulls team earlier in the season, they beat them without West, Hibbert and Hill.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
              Agreed. I still have no idea how they won all those games early in the season. They've beaten some real good teams. I remember them playing a healthy Bulls team earlier in the season, they beat them without West, Hibbert and Hill.
              Copeland has played very well for them this year is why.
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

I don't think there were any takers for West, at least that would give up picks for him. The Pacers just have too much talent to tank effectively. Look at how bad the NYK and Sixers rosters are by comparison, it's not even close. Now that Hill is back Indiana looks pretty damn good. Throw in PG, and maybe they can win a 1st round series. If we stick at the 2 seed and have to play the Pacers in round 1 I'd be very worried.
                They're too talented to tank? They've got an awful roster mostly winning ugly with D. If they traded West (and I saw a report that teams were interested and Indy pulled out to commit to a playoff run...don't know how true that is) they'd be well on their way to a top 8 pick. *I mean, if you took out West, their roster is probably worse than everyone other than Philly and NYK, but those teams are NBA teams by name only.

They proved to be a pretender last year, and have only gotten worse as a roster. They won't have much flexibility in the summer, and if they aim for the playoffs, a mid-1st pick. They could lose more talent than they add for the 2nd straight summer. If they traded West for cap relief and even just one pick, they could have actual cap space to add a quality piece, a possibly high-lottery pick, and an extra pick to use/deal. They could start rebuilding on the fly, instead of struggling to stay afloat in a conference where pretty much every team is getting better while they're going to struggle to not get worse.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Mar 4, 2015, 03:57 PM.

Comment

They're too talented to tank? They've got an awful roster mostly winning ugly with D. If they traded West (and I saw a report that teams were interested and Indy pulled out to commit to a playoff run...don't know how true that is) they'd be well on their way to a top 8 pick.

They proved to be a pretender last year, and have only gotten worse as a roster. They won't have much flexibility in the summer, and if they aim for the playoffs, a mid-1st pick. They could lose more talent than they add for the 2nd straight summer. If they traded West for cap relief and even just one pick, they could have actual cap space to add a quality piece, a possibly high-lottery pick, and an extra pick to use/deal. They could start rebuilding on the fly, instead of struggling to stay afloat in a conference where pretty much every team is getting better while they're going to struggle to not get worse.
                  They should have unloaded both Hill and West got pick and gone hard after a scoring PG.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    They should have unloaded both Hill and West got pick and gone hard after a scoring PG.
                    Don't know if they'd find a taker for Hill with him having 2 more years at $8M per...not with the crazy depth at PG right now.

Comment

They're too talented to tank? They've got an awful roster mostly winning ugly with D. If they traded West (and I saw a report that teams were interested and Indy pulled out to commit to a playoff run...don't know how true that is) they'd be well on their way to a top 8 pick. *I mean, if you took out West, their roster is probably worse than everyone other than Philly and NYK, but those teams are NBA teams by name only.

How in the hell were they pretenders last year? 1st seed in the East and an appearance in the ECF, where they lost to the juggernaut that was the LBJ Miami Heat in 6 games. They did exactly what everyone expected them to do, or maybe even more since they were the 1 seed and most expected Miami to be the 1 seed. Just because they had a rough end to the regular season doesn't really mean shit. They still locked up the 1 seed and went 6 games in the ECF.

Would the #8 pick this year really be a difference maker for the Pacers? Would trading West have really made them that bad? I'd argue no on both accounts. Scola would have stepped in as the starter at PF and they'd still be pretty good. PG isn't even out for the season, so shooting for a full rebuild seems misguided. I think they were smart to shoot for the playoffs. Keeps fans happy and looks better to potential FA. They also could easily make some noise considering no one team in the East is a sure thing.

Comment

I completely agreed. I thought this season could have been Indy's chance to "enjoy the losing injury caused" and essentially add at least 2 studs next season (PG & top-7 pick), in much the same way that SA "tanked" when the Admiral went down and they 'added' him and Duncan the following season.

With a high pick, cap space and a few decent returning pieces, it could have been more or a quick re-load/re-tool than a full on rebuild. PG is relatively young too, so it's not like they'd be ruining their window of opportunity with him as their centerpiece.

Comment

How in the hell were they pretenders last year? 1st seed in the East and an appearance in the ECF, where they lost to the juggernaut that was the LBJ Miami Heat in 6 games. They did exactly what everyone expected them to do, or maybe even more since they were the 1 seed and most expected Miami to be the 1 seed. Just because they had a rough end to the regular season doesn't really mean shit. They still locked up the 1 seed and went 6 games in the ECF.

Would the #8 pick this year really be a difference maker for the Pacers? Would trading West have really made them that bad? I'd argue no on both accounts. Scola would have stepped in as the starter at PF and they'd still be pretty good. PG isn't even out for the season, so shooting for a full rebuild seems misguided. I think they were smart to shoot for the playoffs. Keeps fans happy and looks better to potential FA. They also could easily make some noise considering no one team in the East is a sure thing.
                          Pretender because they peaked with no real room to improve while being clearly not as good as true contenders. This is obviously just opinion. But they struggled to do anything close to dominating games. Contenders show a clear ability to dominate, IMO. There are very good teams that can compete against anybody, and then there are the contenders a cut above, who impose their will on a game. Teams that have looked like contenders the last couple of years to me have been Miami (past incarnation), SAS, OKC (at times), Memphis (at times), GSW (just this year), and CLE and ATL look like they very well could be this year in the East. Close to it but not quite clear if they can make the leap or are pretenders are Portland and Houston...maybe Dallas, but I think they have a lot to prove. LAC to me has been exposed as a pretender (as was Indy last year to me). Feel free to disagree.

As for your 2nd paragraph...a few thoughts
                          -#8 pick can be pretty good, and they could've easily had a chance at something higher. I mean, they drafted Paul George with a #10 pick, and he turned out pretty good for them. And it's not like that draft was crazy good. They simply made a very good pick.
                          -West is pretty key to their team. Scola simply cannot fill his shoes at this point in his career, especially defensively in a full-time role. Scola's visibly declined physically as an athlete (which was never the strongest part of his package), and his current backup role is probably ideal.
                          -You could argue PG should sit out the season. That was a brutal injury that's going to make it very hard to get his legs under him this season. The month before the playoffs does not sound like a lot of time to me. Would be a good idea to play it safe and make sure he's back 100% next year, instead of trying to get him from 70% to 100% in a month+playoffs.
                          -Keeping West, it doesn't matter how they look to potential FAs. They simply won't have a useful amount of money to spend in the summer. The only way they will is if one or both of West and HIbbert decline their player options, which probably wouldn't be a good idea for either of them.

So basically, they're hoping that a patch-job roster with their star not nearly at 100% is going to make some noise in an Eastern conference that is obviously better than last season. To what? Placate their fans? Make a round worth of playoff revenue?

A lot would need to go right for them in the summer if they tried to rebuild, but the team they have now is simply full of pieces that have no real long-term value to the franchise. Shedding West for capspace and an extra pick could've allowed them to be bigger players in free agency (where guys would still be fully aware of George's return as a positive to signing there, not to mention Larry Legend's gravitas always being a factor), maybe gotten lucky with a solid lottery pick, and maybe even luckier with their extra pick (or a deal associated to it). There's always a lot of luck involved, but that could've allowed them to put a foundation around George in one summer.

Lets not forget, there's no guarantee they make the playoffs. Heck, with George rusty and the team now used to playing without him, his return might not even help their chances. So if they finish 9th/10th, miss the playoffs, and have no useful capspace, then that is a pretty terrible situation. Add in the risk of playing your franchise player when there's no way he's 100% ready to be thrown into full-speed basketball, and it's pretty hard to like the choice they've made.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Mar 4, 2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Pretender because they peaked with no real room to improve while being clearly not as good as true contenders. This is obviously just opinion. But they struggled to do anything close to dominating games. Contenders show a clear ability to dominate, IMO. There are very good teams that can compete against anybody, and then there are the contenders a cut above, who impose their will on a game. Teams that have looked like contenders the last couple of years to me have been Miami (past incarnation), SAS, OKC (at times), Memphis (at times), GSW (just this year), and CLE and ATL look like they very well could be this year in the East. Close to it but not quite clear if they can make the leap or are pretenders are Portland and Houston...maybe Dallas, but I think they have a lot to prove. LAC to me has been exposed as a pretender (as was Indy last year to me). Feel free to disagree.

As for your 2nd paragraph...a few thoughts
                            -#8 pick can be pretty good, and they could've easily had a chance at something higher. I mean, they drafted Paul George with a #10 pick, and he turned out pretty good for them. And it's not like that draft was crazy good. They simply made a very good pick.
                            -West is pretty key to their team. Scola simply cannot fill his shoes at this point in his career, especially defensively in a full-time role. Scola's visibly declined physically as an athlete (which was never the strongest part of his package), and his current backup role is probably ideal.
                            -You could argue PG should sit out the season. That was a brutal injury that's going to make it very hard to get his legs under him this season. The month before the playoffs does not sound like a lot of time to me. Would be a good idea to play it safe and make sure he's back 100% next year, instead of trying to get him from 70% to 100% in a month+playoffs.
                            -Keeping West, it doesn't matter how they look to potential FAs. They simply won't have a useful amount of money to spend in the summer. The only way they will is if one or both of West and HIbbert decline their player options, which probably wouldn't be a good idea for either of them.

So basically, they're hoping that a patch-job roster with their star not nearly at 100% is going to make some noise in an Eastern conference that is obviously better than last season. To what? Placate their fans? Make a round worth of playoff revenue?

A lot would need to go right for them in the summer if they tried to rebuild, but the team they have now is simply full of pieces that have no real long-term value to the franchise. Shedding West for capspace and an extra pick could've allowed them to be bigger players in free agency (where guys would still be fully aware of George's return as a positive to signing there, not to mention Larry Legend's gravitas always being a factor), maybe gotten lucky with a solid lottery pick, and maybe even luckier with their extra pick (or a deal associated to it). There's always a lot of luck involved, but that could've allowed them to put a foundation around George in one summer.

Lets not forget, there's no guarantee they make the playoffs. Heck, with George rusty and the team now used to playing without him, his return might not even help their chances. So if they finish 9th/10th, miss the playoffs, and have no useful capspace, then that is a pretty terrible situation. Add in the risk of playing your franchise player when there's no way he's 100% ready to be thrown into full-speed basketball, and it's pretty hard to like the choice they've made.
                            We're just going to have to agree to disagree on your first paragraph. I think taking 1st in the conference and going to game 6 in the ECF makes you a contender.

If they finish 10th in the East, they'd likely get the 10th pick. So 2 back from the #8 pick you mentioned, and no tank needed. I don't think giving away West for some 2nd round picks and an expiring would be a good move. I highly doubt they got any better offers than that. Best case someone offered a very late 1st round pick, possibly years down the line.

As far as PG coming back this year, his injury is actually much easier to come back from than any ligament or tendon injury. It was a clean bone break that is now held together with titanium. His leg is literally stronger than before. Unlike ACL, MCL, ankle, etc... where your joints are never the same. PG has been practicing full contact since February 26th and the word is he's looking really good. No reason to not let him come back mid March.

Who exactly has Larry Bird lured to Indiana? The only big FA they got that I can remember is West, and they did it by paying him a ton of money. Nobody wants to play in Indiana, Larry Bird front office or not.

Indiana is set up to be one of the top teams in the east next year, followed by a ton of cap space in 2016. I'd call that preferable to being a bottom team this year, followed by likely being a bottom team next year, and then pinning your hopes on a 2016 FA to come save you.

Pacers are 8-2 over their last 10, and only 1 game out of the 7th seed. They're getting hot at the right time, and will be one of the scariest playoff matchups. If I was a Pacer fan, I'd be very happy with the way things are going.

Comment

• i've figured it out.

casey knows hes heading to the playoffs regardless of this last stretch of games.

hes purposely getting every other team to recognize that we're going heavy iso and thus said opposing teams will be planning for this accordingly.

BAM.

casey mixes shit up in the playoffs and plays like we did post-rudy gay trade.

we destroy everybody.

BAM.

raptors 2015 champs.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                                i've figured it out.

casey knows hes heading to the playoffs regardless of this last stretch of games.

hes purposely getting every other team to recognize that we're going heavy iso and thus said opposing teams will be planning for this accordingly.

BAM.

casey mixes shit up in the playoffs and plays like we did post-rudy gay trade.

we destroy everybody.

BAM.

raptors 2015 champs.
                                LMAO I hope you're right.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X