Should We Bring Amir Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heart says yes

But I think Masai will have a budget in mind for Amir and not be tempted by the market to go outside of that budget. Game seven against Brooklyn last year is Amir's calling card: big stage and clutch contribution despite his ankles. Off the court he is probably one of those key glue guys that make the Raptors the family and great chemistry group that they are and it is that much easier to get sentimental about keeping him. Amir is a Raptor for life in one sense of the word and it would be great to have him finish his career here but I do anticipate Amir accumulating wear faster than all of us would like. He will soon be coming off the bench more regularly because of his health regardless of where he goes.

Comment

8m/year is 2Pat money, which will be entirely reasonable for a back-up big under the new cap.

Amir has value as a backup that can play back-up at the 4, 5 and mobile enough to be the lone big in small ball line-ups. A lot of contenders would LOVE to have a player like Amir, especially ones with thin big rotations like Miami, Clippers, Mavs, etc. He's has a high-enough IQ to play crunch time minutes.

If the Warriors could unload David Lee's contract for Amir, they would do it in a heartbeat. Amir's not a star but he's a rare, versatile big that doesn't take anything away on offense or defense. He's a coaches wet dream.

Comment

I like Amir. I fear for his ankles. I would not be opposed to 3 years/30 million, 4/40 million with a team option for the 4th. However I think you have to structure the contract so that he only makes the 10 million if he plays xx amount of games a year

Comment

No loyalty....

it's sad that most fans jump on the bandwagon and don't have any idea what players mean to the franchise.

I'm reading posts about whether Amir will miss games because of injuries..... Lol

Where have you guys been???

Amir ALWAYS plays hurt! He is the ONLY player I know (other than Kobe) that always plays hurt. We should definitely be able to bring back Amir on a decent contract.... We would be fools to trade the heart of our team!

He's our best big defender and always come through for us (hurt or not).... Did everyone suddenly forget game 7 vs the Nets??

Amir had 20 points and 10 rebounds in 22 mins! ... Before getting a bunch of phantom foul calls and fouling out (by the way JV had 3 points and 5 rebounds in 27 mins)

Amir is arguably our most important big and plays every 4th Q and in crunch time (this while playing HURT)

We HAVE to bring Amir back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by special1; Thu Feb 19, 2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
            No loyalty....

it's sad that most fans jump on the bandwagon and don't have any idea what players mean to the franchise.

I'm reading posts about whether Amir will miss games because of injuries..... Lol

Amir ALWAYS plays hurt! He is the ONLY player I know (other than Kobe) that always plays hurt. We should definitely be able to bring back Amir on a decent contract.... We would be fools to trade the heart of our team!

He's our best big defender and always come through for us (hurt or not).... Did everyone suddenly forget game 7 vs the Nets??

Amir had 20 points and 10 rebounds in 22 mins! ... Before getting a bunch of phantom foul calls and fouling out (by the way JV had 3 points and 5 rebounds in 27 mins)

Amir is arguably our most important big and plays every 4th Q and in crunch time (this while playing HURT)

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
              His ankles are a ticking time bomb.
              That is why signing him to long term deal is risky.

Comment

No loyalty....

Amir always plays hurt because he is almost always hurt.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  Amir always plays hurt because he is almost always hurt.
                  That's because he plays harder than anyone else on our team.....keep pretending that players like Amir are a dime a dozen...

Even his teammates say it.... Most players would sit out and recover but Amir plays....We should be giving him more props for that....imagine when he gets healthy!

Comment

No loyalty....

+10000000000000

Amir is vastly underrated
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

That's because he plays harder than anyone else on our team.....keep pretending that players like Amir are a dime a dozen...

Even his teammates say it.... Most players would sit out and recover but Amir plays....We should be giving him more props for that....imagine when he gets healthy!

Agreed.

If Amir had Derrick Rose' mentality ("I want to be able to walk when I'm 40") then Amir wouldn't have played for the last 2 seasons. The dude won't be walking 6 years from now and he still gives it 110%.

Comment

It all depends on the price and what our other options are. I'd really like to upgrade the PF position, but there aren't a ton of guys who will be available that are better than Amir. $10M per seems like way too much. Offer him the deal we gave PPat, 3 years $18M, and front load it as much as possible. I don't see why Amir would command more money than Patterson did.

Comment

No loyalty....

I don't think anybody is being disloyal. There's just a point when the combination of age, health and contract demands combine to tip the scales away from re-signing him. There's some disagreement over what that magical point (ie: salary / # years) is exactly, which I think is fair, since none of us really know what his worth is especially under the new unknown NBA salary cap landscape.

There's got to be a $$$ amount and/or # of guaranteed years that you'd balk at. How much is too much for you? There's a point when the realities of financial and roster limitations in the NBA trumps individual loyalty.

Get off your high horse and stop bad mouthing posters who contemplate the scenario where Amir doesn't factor into the team's long-term future. It's a discussion that has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty, unless you're trying to frame an argument so that anybody who disagrees with you can be called a disloyal hater.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I don't think anybody is being disloyal. There's just a point when the combination of age, health and contract demands combine to tip the scales away from re-signing him. There's some disagreement over what that magical point (ie: salary / # years) is exactly, which I think is fair, since none of us really know what his worth is especially under the new unknown NBA salary cap landscape.

There's got to be a $$$ amount and/or # of guaranteed years that you'd balk at. How much is too much for you? There's a point when the realities of financial and roster limitations in the NBA trumps individual loyalty.

Get off your high horse and stop bad mouthing posters who contemplate the scenario where Amir doesn't factor into the team's long-term future. It's a discussion that has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty, unless you're trying to frame an argument so that anybody who disagrees with you can be called a disloyal hater.
                            I really wish you'd put away any past issues you had with me when responding to my posts....

My point was clear... You disagree? I'm fine with that.

I gave my reasons why I think Amir is very important to this team... Some posters didn't bring up any dollar amounts and I'm speaking to them. NONE of us know what Amir is willing to take to remain a Raptor. I'm pretty sure we are not talking about a max player here or anything close (isn't that obvious?).

Why should I have to get into hypothetical salary situations? I'll leave the blind guessing to the posters who pretend to be GMs.

Everything I've seen from Amir shows me that he is a Loyal warrior who loves the City. In my opinion he should be a Raptor for life. You disagree? Then please respond to the points I brought up....If you have nothing relevant to write then why bother?

You're not saying very much in your post.

I didn't bad mouth anyone specific but since we're giving opinions (you saying I'm on some high horse).....my opinion is that I feel attacked by you very often....

Maybe you're still upset about being wrong about the team sucking.....wrong about Rudy being some all-star player (actually Demar was the all-star) and maybe even mad that we're not losing enough to justify your love for tanking.....

Many posters agreed with my post and I'll leave it at that. You're the only mod that took exception and I'm not surprised.

Last edited by special1; Fri Feb 20, 2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

But at what price? I love Amir and his love for the city and how he plays hard every night, but we need an upgrade since Casey doesn't seem to like the idea of starting 2Pat over him. We need a reliable inside presence that can CONSISTENTLY grab boards. I'm not saying Amir is a shitty rebounder, but he is definitely inconsistent in those regards.

Comment

I really wish you'd put away any past issues you had with me when responding to my posts....

Are you seriously telling other people to put away "past issues when responding to posts" ????

Dude all you do is try to troll people you've disagreed with in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X