Offseason Moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Lakers have Randle and, likely, a top 5 pick this year. Given the cap space that would create, I'd ship DD out for that in a heart beat.

Given DeRozan's offensive contributions are easiest to replace in the league, I think you can make up his scoring pretty easy between another SG and a better distribution of field goal attempts.
    Philadelphia owns that Lakers pick...top 1-5 protected this year and 1-3 protected next year.

Comment

CalibreMC wrote: View Post
      Philadelphia owns that Lakers pick...top 1-5 protected this year and 1-3 protected next year.
      Draft night... assuming it is top 5 - which I have assumed.

Comment

- Trade Ross
        - RE-SIGN LOU
        - Let Amir walk
        - Sign a backup big
        - Sign or trade for a starting caliber SF or PF.
        - Draymond Green?
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          - Trade Ross
          - RE-SIGN LOU
          - Let Amir walk
          - Sign a backup big
          - Sign or trade for a starting caliber SF or PF.
          - Draymond Green?
          I actually really like James Johnson as our starting SF. He's been pretty phenomenal since we moved him into the starting lineup, like one of the best SF's in the league. His PER is 19, his TS% is an outrageous .650, and his defense is one of the best in the league at the position. He doesn't hit 3's, but who gives a shit when he does everything else so damn well. It makes a lot more sense to get a 3pt threat at the SG position, so I'm very much open to trading DD for the right package.

Draymond Green would be a nice get. We would have a defensive juggernaut at SF/PF with him and James Johnson. Green can also nail the 3 at a high rate so that adds the floor spacing you need for Johnson. Then you can keep Amir around as the backup big if you can still afford it. You could also put Lou into the starting lineup to give another legit 3pt threat.

-New coach (Thibs)
          -Re-sign Lou
          -Sign Draymond Green
          -Re-sign Amir at backup price
          -Trade DD for the needed cap room and some young/future assets (maybe sign and trade for Green?)

Some food for thought. If DD has a good trade market then we have to explore it since he realistically only has 1 year left on his deal after this season (99.99999% chance he opts out for 2016-17), and he's going to cost a lot to re-sign at that point. Perhaps the money would be better spent somewhere else, like on Draymond Green.

Comment

As to next season:

We should extend generous offer sheets to Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard. We won't get any of them; the point is to make sure that Golden State, Chicago and San Antonio have less money to spend. You could even throw KJ McDaniels and Tobias Harris into the mix.

We should re-sign Amir on the cheap - at this point we should be able to get him for slightly less than he costs now given his health issues, which the entire league knows about.

Lou can go; bench scoring is great and all, but it's also one of the easier things to find in the NBA. Landry can go.

If the Chuckwagon wants to come back on a cheap contract ($1.5m or less), bring him back because he's a good end of bench guy. Psycho T is worth about what we pay him now so if he wants a raise, let him seek it elsewhere but if we can get 1-2 years out of him at this price, that's fine, he's a good moveable asset if need be and he gives decent bench minutes.

Extend Jonas. Don't extend Ross - trade him if there's a good piece available.

2015 is just not a good year for us to seek out a major star. 2016 is better - there's the Durant lottery obviously but also Al Horford. In the meantime, we should soak up short-term cash from teams looking to spend in 2015 in order to build up assets.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
              As to next season:

We should extend generous offer sheets to Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard. We won't get any of them; the point is to make sure that Golden State, Chicago and San Antonio have less money to spend. You could even throw KJ McDaniels and Tobias Harris into the mix.

We should re-sign Amir on the cheap - at this point we should be able to get him for slightly less than he costs now given his health issues, which the entire league knows about.

Lou can go; bench scoring is great and all, but it's also one of the easier things to find in the NBA. Landry can go.

If the Chuckwagon wants to come back on a cheap contract ($1.5m or less), bring him back because he's a good end of bench guy. Psycho T is worth about what we pay him now so if he wants a raise, let him seek it elsewhere but if we can get 1-2 years out of him at this price, that's fine, he's a good moveable asset if need be and he gives decent bench minutes.

Extend Jonas. Don't extend Ross - trade him if there's a good piece available.

2015 is just not a good year for us to seek out a major star. 2016 is better - there's the Durant lottery obviously but also Al Horford. In the meantime, we should soak up short-term cash from teams looking to spend in 2015 in order to build up assets.
              1st bold: Just want to add that after retaining our own big name free agent last summer, it's also a good signal to players around the league to go after such guys. Let it be known that Toronto will be a shopping hard after top tier free agents.

2nd bold: Not sure what the better option is, extending Jonas or just letting him go to RFA? I'm less worried about it in relation to him, and more worried about whether the extension will make it harder to utilize 2016 cap space than his qualifying offer.

Finally, I agree that 2015 is not a good year for free agent pursuits and have pretty much always said that. The big names are either not good fits, very unlikely to come here (or even leave their current teams) or RFAs. 2016 is better as long as we can maintain the flexibility to make a big splash, which should be made easier if the big cap jump happens with the new tv deal.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                1st bold: Just want to add that after retaining our own big name free agent last summer, it's also a good signal to players around the league to go after such guys. Let it be known that Toronto will be a shopping hard after top tier free agents.

2nd bold: Not sure what the better option is, extending Jonas or just letting him go to RFA? I'm less worried about it in relation to him, and more worried about whether the extension will make it harder to utilize 2016 cap space than his qualifying offer.

Finally, I agree that 2015 is not a good year for free agent pursuits and have pretty much always said that. The big names are either not good fits, very unlikely to come here (or even leave their current teams) or RFAs. 2016 is better as long as we can maintain the flexibility to make a big splash, which should be made easier if the big cap jump happens with the new tv deal.
                I really don't see it being any easier to sign big name guys in 2016 than 2015. They're all very likely to stay with their teams, and there will be a lot more teams with cap space in 2016 than there will be this offseason. Draymond Green seems the most get-able because I don't think GS can afford him if we give him a big offer.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  I really don't see it being any easier to sign big name guys in 2016 than 2015. They're all very likely to stay with their teams, and there will be a lot more teams with cap space in 2016 than there will be this offseason. Draymond Green seems the most get-able because I don't think GS can afford him if we give him a big offer.
                  It's never easy. But it's become apparent that except for miraculously poaching a RFA, this summer will pretty much be a crapshoot for us in free agency. The UFAs don't fit or are for sure staying with their teams. *The most gettable guy might be Monroe in the end. Whether he's a good fit is debatable.

So I'd like to have the flexibility in 2016 to be players in that market. Could easily strike out, but at the moment there's obviously less certainty about it because it's farther away.

As for Green, consensus seems to be he's the most poachable, but there have also already been reports that GSW will have no issue matching any offer. They'd be a tax-paying team next year, but could easily get back under that the season after.

**What I hope most of all is that we don't make bad deals. Don't want to end up spending money because we can, and overpaying for guys like Jeff Green.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Feb 26, 2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

One other guy I'd go after is Carroll. I know it would be hard to pull him from the Hawks, but still would be nice to persue the guy.
                    Axel wrote:
                    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

It's never easy. But it's become apparent that except for miraculously poaching a RFA, this summer will pretty much be a crapshoot for us in free agency. The UFAs don't fit or are for sure staying with their teams. *The most gettable guy might be Monroe in the end. Whether he's a good fit is debatable.

So I'd like to have the flexibility in 2016 to be players in that market. Could easily strike out, but at the moment there's obviously less certainty about it because it's farther away.

As for Green, consensus seems to be he's the most poachable, but there have also already been reports that GSW will have no issue matching any offer. They'd be a tax-paying team next year, but could easily get back under that the season after.

**What I hope most of all is that we don't make bad deals. Don't want to end up spending money because we can, and overpaying for guys like Jeff Green.
                      GS has a salary of $72.5M this year, and already has a committed salary of $77.5M next year without Draymond Green. They'll save some money by Lee coming off the books for 2016-17, but that's also when Harrison Barnes will start his next contract, which I'd guess will eat up most of that David Lee money. A $15M year offer for Green will be extremely hard for GS to match, and I'd guess they'd beg for some kind of sign and trade instead of matching.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                        GS has a salary of $72.5M this year, and already has a committed salary of $77.5M next year without Draymond Green. They'll save some money by Lee coming off the books for 2016-17, but that's also when Harrison Barnes will start his next contract, which I'd guess will eat up most of that David Lee money. A $15M year offer for Green will be extremely hard for GS to match, and I'd guess they'd beg for some kind of sign and trade instead of matching.
                        But the cap could also jump quite a bit too. Again, it shouldn't be hard for them to get back under it even paying Green the max.

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                          One other guy I'd go after is Carroll. I know it would be hard to pull him from the Hawks, but still would be nice to persue the guy.
                          Well at least you stopped posting about it once a day leading up the trade deadline.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I would think he goes to RFA anyways. WIth the cap going up he is almost assured a larger deal. Plus Raptors keep his cap hit at around $11M. Only way you extend him is if you can get his first year below his cap hold. I don't think there is any way in hell he is signed for less than $12M.

Comment

But the cap could also jump quite a bit too. Again, it shouldn't be hard for them to get back under it even paying Green the max.
                              I dunno, I just don't see GS being willing to have a $93M+ team salary next year. They're at $77.5M with only 8 players under contract. Signing Green for $16M puts them at $93.5M with only 9 players. Fill the rest of the roster and you're right around $100M. Maybe if they win it all that would be worth it for them, but they certainly seem vulnerable to a big contract offer to Green.

I'm also down with making a big offer to Monroe as a backup plan. He has become a lot better everywhere under SVG, including defensively. He's 4 years younger than Horford, healthier, and more likely to leave his team. Why put off getting better for another season so we can bid on a 30 year old Horford?

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                                Well at least you stopped posting about it once a day leading up the trade deadline.
                                I know I went nuts over him, but man is he the most underrated guy in the league atm. He does what he's told, and does it effectively.
                                Axel wrote:
                                Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                                KeonClark wrote:
                                We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                                KeonClark wrote:
                                I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Working...
                                X