Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Express Interest in Retaining Amir, but Not Wright.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Express Interest in Retaining Amir, but Not Wright.

Figured as much, but if we end up signing Bosh and aren't able to move either Hedo, Andrea or Jose, its safe to say Amir won't be back in Toronto. Some team, some where will overpay him forsure. *cough ... NY Knicks ... cough*

Courtesy of Doug Smith's chat this afternoon:

Q. What is Wright's status after the season? Is he a free agent or? And Amir Johnson?

Doug: Both free agents, lots of interest here in Johnson, I don't think there's as much in Wright given the presence of DeRozan and Weems next year.
    Source - Click here

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Provided they pick up a wing or two in the draft, it shouldn't be that big of a loss if Wright goes. I'd like to keep Amir though.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Figured as much, but if we end up signing Bosh and aren't able to move either Hedo, Andrea or Jose, its safe to say Amir won't be back in Toronto. Some team, some where will overpay him forsure. *cough ... NY Knicks ... cough*
    What would that look like? I mean, how much money would they offer to blow Toronto out of the water? How much money is overpaying?

Post Thanks / Like

This is from the book of common sense. I'm guessing the Raptors don't have much interest in Patrick O'Bryant either.

Post Thanks / Like

This is too bad because he's been my favorite Raptor so far other than Bosh and Weems. He's the only guy willing to play Defense, he makes clutch shots, and he's the best leader other than CB in my opinion. If I had to choose Hedo or Wright contracts aside, I 'd take Wright.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We would probably have to overpay to keep Amir and after the debacle that was this season and the fact that we restricted his minutes instead of increasing them when he was doing well, I just don't see him wanting to come back.

I could see a team like the Thunder giving him a good contract and giving him good minutes with a team that has a chance to go deep into the playoffs for years to come.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest about it I would love to Johnson come home to Los Angeles and play for the Clippers even though he would play behind Griffin and Kaman.

The Clippers need a good coach. I understand that they are talking to B. Scott or at least it has been rumored that they are interested in him as their next coach.

The Clippers also have lots of cap space and a lottery pick.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be very happy to see New Orleans hire Byron Scott. He has done excellent work turning around struggling teams in the past and the Clippers have a lot of talent to work with there. Especially if they use their cap space wisely this summer and add another elite talent (preferably a small forward -- Joe Johnson?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dave wrote: View Post
    I would be very happy to see New Orleans hire Byron Scott. He has done excellent work turning around struggling teams in the past and the Clippers have a lot of talent to work with there. Especially if they use their cap space wisely this summer and add another elite talent (preferably a small forward -- Joe Johnson?).
    By New Orleans you meant LAC right? New Orleans just fired B Scott...
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    By New Orleans you meant LAC right? New Orleans just fired B Scott...
    Haha, yes, the Los Angeles Clippers!

Thinking one thing and typing another ...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dave wrote: View Post
    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    What would that look like? I mean, how much money would they offer to blow Toronto out of the water? How much money is overpaying?
    I can't see any team offering Amir Johnson more than the MLE and he's solid value at that price range. Ergo, I do not see anyone overpaying him. Additionally, I doubt anyone offers him a starting role or considerably more playing time than the Raptors can/will offer.

I think most team's will value Amir in the $3 million per annum price range and some teams who have strong interest may be willing to go as high as $4-to-$4.5 as a starting salary. Also, at that price, Amir is good value as a backup big man (17-20 minutes a night).

Therefore, I do not see any opposing GM being able to price Bryan Colangelo out of the Amir Johnson market.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

None of this surprises me. Wright is too much of a luxury on a team with three young shooting guards that need minutes to develop. Quite frankly, I would have been surprised if they tried to keep him. His ability to play SF does make him valuable to the Raptors, but I can see them wanting a player who they can see one day taking over the SF position from Turkoglu.

I don't know if Amir is really going to get overpaid that much this summer. Yes, a lot of teams will have cap room, but there are also a whole lot of half decent free agents. My guess is that a bunch of second tier free agents will end up getting overpaid so teams don't feel they are completely left out, but the biggest thing that will probably happen is the overall payroll of teams will decrease.

On another note, could one of the reasons that Amir never replaced Bargnani in the starting lineup so as not to increase his value (as well as try to increase Bargnani's)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    To be honest about it I would love to Johnson come home to Los Angeles and play for the Clippers even though he would play behind Griffin and Kaman.

The Clippers need a good coach. I understand that they are talking to B. Scott or at least it has been rumored that they are interested in him as their next coach.

The Clippers also have lots of cap space and a lottery pick.
    i see him wnating like 3 or 4 mill. and that's a 2 year contract if he re-signs with us. he wants to start in the league and if he keeps up this production in two years it think a lot of teams will be more than ready to give him that opportunity.

dude, does well when he's on, but gets in foul trouble and needs work on outside game. get rid of reggie and let amir get more minutes see what he does next year and we'll see from there.

i don't think anytime will spend more than the mle on him and he prolly won't be their first choice and won't get full mle.

btw, you guys talking bout presence of dd and sonny is sonny even gonna be here next year? i kno0w he'd be happy to re-sign. but, what's taking so long to pick this guys option up? has it been done yet and i missed something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TIm W. wrote: View Post
    None of this surprises me. Wright is too much of a luxury on a team with three young shooting guards that need minutes to develop. Quite frankly, I would have been surprised if they tried to keep him. His ability to play SF does make him valuable to the Raptors, but I can see them wanting a player who they can see one day taking over the SF position from Turkoglu.

I don't know if Amir is really going to get overpaid that much this summer. Yes, a lot of teams will have cap room, but there are also a whole lot of half decent free agents. My guess is that a bunch of second tier free agents will end up getting overpaid so teams don't feel they are completely left out, but the biggest thing that will probably happen is the overall payroll of teams will decrease.

On another note, could one of the reasons that Amir never replaced Bargnani in the starting lineup so as not to increase his value (as well as try to increase Bargnani's)?
    no, it'sbecause bargnani is better and more mature than amir he's got a better undertsandin of the game.

amir=good energy/hustle guy off bench

amir as starter= lost

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Johnson's asking price just went up a bit.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If a guy like Zaza pachulia makes close to 5 Million a season, is Amir worth more or less or about the same?!

The problem with answering that question is that Amir doesn't view himself as a Zaza type of guy (bringing energy,hussle,rebounding and scoring from the bench) but a starter like Bosh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    If a guy like Zaza pachulia makes close to 5 Million a season, is Amir worth more or less or about the same?!

The problem with answering that question is that Amir doesn't view himself as a Zaza type of guy (bringing energy,hussle,rebounding and scoring from the bench) but a starter like Bosh.
    Just asking, how do you know this is his view? I haven't heard him say it anywhere.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Third tier free agents like Amir and Antoine will find a tough market this summer.

Amir Johnson at $3.4m is overpaid now. 5 & 5 guys who have constant foul trouble aren't going to be getting big deals.
    Wright has improved over the season, but guys with his stats last year were fighting for jobs in August - it'll be worse this summer.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Zaza is worth at lest twice what Amir is. Amir can only hope to get that good.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote brothersteve wrote: View Post

Zaza is worth at lest twice what Amir is. Amir can only hope to get that good.
    Seriously? That is a pretty big claim -- that Zaza is twice the player Amir is.

Why do you rate Zaza as the superior player?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I see it ...

(1) Zaza Pachulia is a poor but serviceable defender. Johnson is a slightly above average defender. Advantage Johnson.

(2) Zaza Pachulia is a good-to-very good rebounder. So too is Johnson. This is neutral.

(3) Zaza scores at roughly the same clip as Amir except he does so less efficiently. Shooting below 50% every year of his career and is posting a TS% of 53.5% versus 62% for Amir. Both have comparable limitations in their offensive game (both garbage men) and neither is much of a passer. Advantage Amir due to vastly superior efficiency.

Amir Johnson is a significantly superior defensively + offensively and is comparable on the backboards.

Thread Information