How important is JJ to this team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is JJ to this team?

How important is it for this team to sign JJ this off season?
    Can we afford to let him walk?
    How will that effect the team chemistry?

Given the salary of GV and2Pat, how much is fair for JJ ?

MU has a busy off season ahead of him.

Amir , Lou and JJ ...

Will we have money for FA !!!
    Do we need a FA !!!

JJ's signed through next season so no worries there.
    You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

I wanted to post this after the Clippers game but bit my tongue -

Our ORTG has gotten worse ever since we've been starting JJ, all while our DRTG has rocketed up.

We operate as a drive and kick offense. With the paint more crowded, I'm not surprised that we're finding it hard to penetrate and get the defense rotating.
      Just because JJ is super efficient doesn't necessarily mean he's helping our offense because he really hurts our spacing.

Just shining a light on the costs of starting JJ. So far I think the benefits are more significant, but it's part of the conversation.

To be more relevant to this thread - JJ is under contract for next year already, but with the current cap, I'd be comfortable offering something around or under 6 mill/year
      Last edited by stooley; Tue Feb 24, 2015, 06:42 PM.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
        Our ORTG has gotten worse ever since we've been starting JJ, all while our DRTG has rocketed up.
        That's why 2Pat needs to start..

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
          That's why 2Pat needs to start..
          agreed. I think that would work.

but then who's working the picks for our horns?

PPat's not bad but we want him spacing, so it'd have to be JV or JJ -

but if PPat's on the arc and JV's running hand offs and picks at the elbows, we don't have a lot of rebounding. not saying it's a bad idea but there are repercussions to consider.
          "Bruno?
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
            agreed. I think that would work.

but then who's working the picks for our horns?

PPat's not bad but we want him spacing, so it'd have to be JV or JJ -

but if PPat's on the arc and JV's running hand offs and picks at the elbows, we don't have a lot of rebounding. not saying it's a bad idea but there are repercussions to consider.
            It would be JJ. Essentially, PP would be playing the SF spot (Ross) and JJ would be playing the PF spot (Amir), in terms of roles in the offense. I actually think that playing off the ball, releasing off screens, playing some P&R, etc... would really suit JJ's game.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              It would be JJ. Essentially, PP would be playing the SF spot (Ross) and JJ would be playing the PF spot (Amir), in terms of roles in the offense. I actually think that playing off the ball, releasing off screens, playing some P&R, etc... would really suit JJ's game.
              ideally this works, no guarantee JJ is any good at setting screens and initiating plays like that though - it does need some ability as a facilitator and Amir's great court sense is what really helps him excel.

not against the idea, just saying there are complications. I do think it's really weird that it hasn't at least been tried yet. You don't even have to replace amir in the starting lineup, just stagger your rotations.
              Last edited by stooley; Tue Feb 24, 2015, 09:31 PM.
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

http://sportstv1.moonfruit.com/

Got Y'all today
                Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                  love that guy. boats and sports
                  "Bruno?
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

JJ is the single most important player on our team. He is in control on the offensive end and can shut down the opponents top scorer being able to defend multiple positions.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      JJ is the single most important player on our team. He is in control on the offensive end and can shut down the opponents top scorer being able to defend multiple positions.

lulz. Settle down there. He's great at WHAT HE DOES, he's a jack of all trades, swiss army knife, that's great. Don't dare ask him to take Kyle or Demar's role, hell even JV or Lou, and you would see him fail a lot more than you do now. You're not gonna win shit if JJ is one of your top guys, and he's not. He's an awesome weapon, like a Tony Allen and thats where it starts and ends.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        lulz. Settle down there. He's great at WHAT HE DOES, he's a jack of all trades, swiss army knife, that's great. Don't dare ask him to take Kyle or Demar's role, hell even JV or Lou, and you would see him fail a lot more than you do now. You're not gonna win shit if JJ is one of your top guys, and he's not. He's an awesome weapon, like a Tony Allen and thats where it starts and ends.
                        You say he's great at what he does...

He's the best defensive player on the team. He can defend 1-4 and sometimes the 5. Nobody else.
                        He's probably the best post player on the team. Maybe Amir challenges him here when he's absolutely healthy.
                        He can play point forward because he sees the floor well and passes well...and seriously looks to get others involved.
                        He gives us a toughness that we simply don't have without him.
                        His shot is getting better and by all accounts he's working both before and after games to do that.
                        Again, he's shooting 80% in February...set the guy up, pass the guy the ball occasionally and see what happens.

Look right now in the month of February Lowry and Derozan are both shooting under 40%. Demar is actually around 37-38%. JJ is actually shooting around 80%. So technically JJ is shooting better than the combined percentage of our two highest usage players. Two things this completely random and non defining statistic suggests to me. 1) Maybe they could run some stuff for JJ, because virtually everything he gets comes in the latter half of the shot clock or through broken plays he saves. 2) Derozan and Lowry have to start giving up the ball. Period. They are taking terrible shots right now. On the board during the game right now we actually have some RR people keeping track of how many bad shots Derozan takes. They do a running tally. It got a little embarrassing last game because there were a lot of them.

I'm not saying he's our saviour but there are indications we don't know just how good he is yet. The starting line up is going to have to approach the game differently and then I believe the offensive rating will go back up.

Comment

The last thing...and I'll go out on a limb to say this. If he develops a half decent three point shot...I think he might be the best player on the team. There...now discuss.

Comment

JJ is better than demar and kyle in a complete basketball sense.
                            If only he could shoot the 3.. He'd basically be a step under lebron
                            2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
                              The last thing...and I'll go out on a limb to say this. If he develops a half decent three point shot...I think he might be the best player on the team. There...now discuss.
                              28 years old and a career 26% 3P shooter. Pretty sure that isn't happening.

He had a nice air ball the other night.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X