Raptors Collapse Continues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tDotted wrote: View Post
    I was referring to the frustrations on this forum. What you're saying is, people are unsatisfied because we expect to win everything which is untrue. I know a lot of guys (including myself) who were big fans of the team even during the shitty times.
    The NBA (and sports in general) is entertainment.

Basketball can be a very beautiful game and the essence of the beauty is found in teamwork.

The way the Raptors are usually playing is anything but beautiful..... that is my beef: it isn't entertaining.

And the fact I don't believe it to be sustainable due to a lack of ELITE talent is just the icing on the cake.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
      You are on target . Some posters want to ignore reality. We are just not that good at present. Our coach fails to make adjustments and our stars are playing low percentage hero ball.

The problems are potentially fixable but you cannot fix a problem if you do not identify what it is ....

For posters like Keon it is good to be positive but convincing yourself to believe something for which there is evidence to the contrary is fools gold.
      lmao, and what do I believe? I believe we're a home court team, a 50 win team, a 2nd round exit, a team that will look to improve in the offseason. YOU'RE the one who seems to think we were destined for greatness this season and the Raptors are crushing your dreams
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

They reaction hyperbole to the thread title hyperbole is nonsense. "Just enjoy the ride," "What did you expect, 82-0?" "There's so much crap in this franchise's history, just be happy for these wins." All nonsense.

The discussion here is much deeper than that. I hate shallow/dismissive replies.

This team is on a slide towards playing bad basketball that's amplifying every month as FG%, ball movement, and the ORTG continue to free fall. Key players (guards) are now nearing career lows for FG% and AST while nearing career highs for FGA. This is not a blip or a hot/cold streak. This is a systemic issue that has been worsening month over month instead of improving. This is not about a hot start, missing a couple buckets against a tough opponent, or 4 games in 5 nights. It's being suggested here that this goes back four years and is a consistent trend through every offensive focal point under Casey, including Bargs, Gay, DD, Lowry, and Lou. Right now in Sacto, Rudy "ISO Bricks" Gay is now shooting a higher FG% and 3P% than both DeMar and Lowry. He gets more assists than anyone on the Raptors other than Lowry. His FGA dropped immediately on going to Sacto and are still down 2.5-3 FGA per game from his time in Toronto.

I spent the first part of this season defending Casey because of the year-over-year W/L improvement, the work ethic these guys appear to have, and that the players seem to believe in him. I'm not on that boat anymore - win or lose, they're playing some ugly ass basketball too much of the time.

I said it before - a big part of the frustration is that this team has shown they can be top 10 at both ends of the floor. I don't think that's a hot streak, that's their ceiling. The East is historically weak, two playoff teams just lost their best players, and the ECF absolutely should be the Raptors' goal now instead of just hitting the 2nd round.

A coaching change could take this team to the next level. They have two (essentially) all-star guards and a C who's bound to be one in the next year or two. They have great depth and there's no reason a squad capable of a top 5 offense and a top 10 defense couldn't be doing what Atlanta's doing right now in a shtty conference.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
          They reaction hyperbole to the thread title hyperbole is nonsense. "Just enjoy the ride," "What did you expect, 82-0?" "There's so much crap in this franchise's history, just be happy for these wins." All nonsense.

The discussion here is much deeper than that. I hate shallow/dismissive replies.

This team is on a slide towards playing bad basketball that's amplifying every month as FG%, ball movement, and the ORTG continue to free fall. Key players (guards) are now nearing career lows for FG% and AST while nearing career highs for FGA. This is not a blip or a hot/cold streak. This is a systemic issue that has been worsening month over month instead of improving. This is not about a hot start, missing a couple buckets against a tough opponent, or 4 games in 5 nights. It's being suggested here that this goes back four years and is a consistent trend through every offensive focal point under Casey, including Bargs, Gay, DD, Lowry, and Lou. Right now in Sacto, Rudy "ISO Bricks" Gay is now shooting a higher FG% and 3P% than both DeMar and Lowry. He gets more assists than anyone on the Raptors other than Lowry. His FGA dropped immediately on going to Sacto and are still down 2.5-3 FGA per game from his time in Toronto.

I spent the first part of this season defending Casey because of the year-over-year W/L improvement, the work ethic these guys appear to have, and that the players seem to believe in him. I'm not on that boat anymore - win or lose, they're playing some ugly ass basketball too much of the time.

I said it before - a big part of the frustration is that this team has shown they can be top 10 at both ends of the floor. I don't think that's a hot streak, that's their ceiling. The East is historically weak, two playoff teams just lost their best players, and the ECF absolutely should be the Raptors' goal now instead of just hitting the 2nd round.

A coaching change could take this team to the next level. They have two (essentially) all-star guards and a C who's bound to be one in the next year or two. They have great depth and there's no reason a squad capable of a top 5 offense and a top 10 defense couldn't be doing what Atlanta's doing right now in a shtty conference.
          You da real MVP.

Comment

Lewenberg had a quote from Derozan where Derozan said "if I can get a shot off I think its a good shot for me". Welp, that explains a lot. Also, it's fucking idiotic.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

Preach brother.
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

SR wins this board.
                Axel wrote:
                Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                KeonClark wrote:
                We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                KeonClark wrote:
                I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

I'm just quoting again so anyone who somehow missed it has an opportunity to read or even reread this instant RR classic.

Comment

Send this to Masai
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

I've been wavering back and forth between blaming Casey and believing in him. But your post has convinced me. Casey is the common thread with Raptors players in recent years becoming chuckers. We need a coach who values ball movement, assists, and smart plays more than Casey does.

Comment

• DDelight wrote: View Post
                        I've been wavering back and forth between blaming Casey and believing in him. But your post has convinced me. Casey is the common thread with Raptors players in recent years becoming chuckers. We need a coach who values ball movement, assists, and smart plays more than Casey does.
                        Yep. Let us go back to the now infamous cold november 2012 night. Let me know if any of this sounds familiar. Substitute "ed davis" with "jv"

First it was the fourth quarter. Then it was overtime. Then it was double overtime. Andrea Bargnani was throwing up shots — shots that were generally in the flow of the offence — and they were rimming out. There are lots of things to hammer Bargnani for, but the shots he was taking in the Toronto Raptors’ heartbreaking loss to the San Antonio Spurs do not make the list.

The reality was, though, that he could not make a shot to save his life. He finished 2 for 19 on the day, making just one of his final 13. Meanwhile, Ed Davis was having a career day, with 15 points and 14 rebounds in just 22 minutes of action. And yet, as Bargnani continued to ingest far more than his recommended daily dose of iron, he stayed on the floor.

“Andrea is not going to go 2 for 19 very many times this season,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey said after the 111-106 loss. “The other night [in Detroit] he couldn’t miss. I’m going to ride with him come hell or high water.”

To which a wide swath of Raptors fans replied, “This isn’t hell?”
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• It's seems like a lot of room just cleared on the Dwayne Casey bandwagon. Anyone want to jump aboard?

What do you mean you can't see the ground off in the distance? That's not a cliff. Stop being irrational.
                          That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Yep. Let us go back to the now infamous cold november 2012 night. Let me know if any of this sounds familiar. Substitute "ed davis" with "jv"

First it was the fourth quarter. Then it was overtime. Then it was double overtime. Andrea Bargnani was throwing up shots — shots that were generally in the flow of the offence — and they were rimming out. There are lots of things to hammer Bargnani for, but the shots he was taking in the Toronto Raptors’ heartbreaking loss to the San Antonio Spurs do not make the list.

The reality was, though, that he could not make a shot to save his life. He finished 2 for 19 on the day, making just one of his final 13. Meanwhile, Ed Davis was having a career day, with 15 points and 14 rebounds in just 22 minutes of action. And yet, as Bargnani continued to ingest far more than his recommended daily dose of iron, he stayed on the floor.

“Andrea is not going to go 2 for 19 very many times this season,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey said after the 111-106 loss. “The other night [in Detroit] he couldn’t miss. I’m going to ride with him come hell or high water.”

I could never forget this game. I mainly love to quote Ed Davis' halftime interview when he was asked about how well the Raptors started against the Spurs, to which he responded "We knew if we didn't come out hard against the Spurs, we would be blown out!"

They used to say Casey was forced to play Bargnani because Colangelo was making him, but he still seems to go with players shooting horribly over players having good shooting nights, and Colangelo is no where in sight.

Comment

Oh man what a great find from memory lane.

I don't know whether to laugh in glee that Bargs is gone or cry because history is repeating itself.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Glory days were here again! (Gay)

And are again! (DeRozan)

Comment

Working...
                                X