Masai's one big mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masai's one big mistake!

Imo if there's been one mistake Masai has made it's not addressing the frontcourt this off season or at the trade deadline. Statistically it's a glaring issue and has been our achilles heel two years running now, I get that Masai probably has a massive plan salary wise brewing over the next few years but I don't get how he couldn't shell out 5M for a rim protecting backup C via free agency or a trade.

I think this move would've greatly taken pressure off of JV and helped with his development along with making us a more well balanced formidable opponent. Hayes & Handsbro are completely undersized and both are on expiring contracts along with Fields so there was lot's of flexibility. I think not addressing this problem was a dangerous and unnecessary risk from Masai that could prove costly if the Raps get bounced in the 1st round. Why gamble at this point for what seemed like an attainable fix within reach this entire year??

Masai is the man and will be in the drivers seat next off season regardless of where we end up but I still think it was peculiar that he wouldn't address this obvious deficiency. Thoughts?

you seriously think its the front court that the problem right now????

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
      you seriously think its the front court that the problem right now????
      Great defense leads to offense. I know Lowry/DD are struggling currently but I'm looking at our overall area of deficiency as a team this year.

Comment

The team had a few holes to fill and a cap space issue. He did quite well getting JJ & Lou W. and JJ can be used as a big (pf) in small ball situations. If there was an acquisition that should get a redo it is, imo, Stiemsma. In retrospect this was a waste if DC wont use him...is he really that bad?

Comment

Added rim protection wouldn't help... the guy would be the 10th/11th man and would rarely get minutes under Casey.

I'm waiting until the end of the summer to give Masai my next grade. So far he's been great, but his biggest test will be this summer.

Does he keep Casey? What does he do with Amir and Lou? Does he trade Ross? What happens in the draft? Is DeMar safe? Does he sign anyone in free agency?

Comment

You do realize that Casey is the head coach here?

If MU traded for another big he's get no minutes
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post

And therein lies the problem.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Added rim protection wouldn't help... the guy would be the 10th/11th man and would rarely get minutes under Casey.

I'm waiting until the end of the summer to give Masai my next grade. So far he's been great, but his biggest test will be this summer.

Does he keep Casey? What does he do with Amir and Lou? Does he trade Ross? What happens in the draft? Is DeMar safe? Does he sign anyone in free agency?
                This really will be Masai's signature offseason. He's repeatedly said in the media we're not a championship level team yet, so standing pat isn't really an option. The only BC given contract left will be Demar, and of course JV and Ross on rookie deals. This is will be a Masai built team after the offseason. He could try and make the team better immediately, or he could make moves geared toward the future (2016 offseason). As long as he takes care of the coaching I'll be happy either way.

Comment

Absolutely. Even if we'd had the foresight to take Whiteside this summer, he'd be rotting on the bench right now and we'd have no idea what his potential really is.

Comment

Base on the story of KL last year, MU is a GM will let players know if he wanna trade him out.

I believe there is a commitment between MU and players.
                    Massai give player times to prove what they have,
                    if they don't he will cut or send them out.

I think this is a good way to keep the trust from magt. and players,
                    also won't hurt that much in the locker room if he really trade someone out.

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
                      Absolutely. Even if we'd had the foresight to take Whiteside this summer, he'd be rotting on the bench right now and we'd have no idea what his potential really is.
                      I said the same thing about Whiteside,he would've never see the floor under Casey. To your point, we don't know what Bruno's potential is either. But I know that much;
                      - at 19 , he is a better shooter than Demar (he can actually hit the 3 ball)
                      - he's a better 1-1 defender than Demar
                      - we just wasted 1-yr of development for the youngster
                      - Pop (one of the greatest of all time) plays ALL his rookies; just to see what they have in them and then make adjustment to their development plan as he sees fit.
                      - Our young guys are being held back by incompetence behind the bench.

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
                        I said the same thing about Whiteside,he would've never see the floor under Casey. To your point, we don't know what Bruno's potential is either. But I know that much;
                        - at 19 , he is a better shooter than Demar (he can actually hit the 3 ball)
                        - he's a better 1-1 defender than Demar
                        - we just wasted 1-yr of development for the youngster
                        - Pop (one of the greatest of all time) plays ALL his rookies; just to see what they have in them and then make adjustment to their development plan as he sees fit.
                        - Our young guys are being held back by incompetence behind the bench.
                        For a million time. Bruno is NOWHERE near ready to play in the NBA. Calling him a better 1 on 1 defender than DeMar is compleltely RIDICULOUS.

The fact that he's not even good enough to play in the D-League tells you everything.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Yea I agree with pretty much what most people have been saying. Even if Masai had gotten another big man, Casey would not be playing the guy unless he was for sure better than Hansbrough. And even still, he wouldn't be used for any offensive plays. We'd still have the guards controlling and losing games for us.

Unless Casey changes how he wants the offense to be run, Masai needs to look for another coach in the off season, ESPECIALLY if we get eliminated in the first round because of this offense.

Comment

What a crock of shit.

MU brought in 2 decent NBA p[layers this offseason.

Lou has gotten plenty of playing time.

JJ , despite the benching for whatever reason, has only played more minutes once in his previous 5 years in the league. Oh, and the coach who gave him more playing time 3 years ago? It was Casey.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              What a crock of shit.

MU brought in 2 decent NBA p[layers this offseason.

Lou has gotten plenty of playing time.

JJ , despite the benching for whatever reason, has only played more minutes once in his previous 5 years in the league. Oh, and the coach who gave him more playing time 3 years ago? It was Casey.
                              The key is not if Masai traded for another PLAYER. It's if Masai traded for another BIG.

Unless it was an all star big, I wouldn't be convinced that player would get any minutes. Well unless of course they were one of the rare centres in this league who can sprint out to the 3 point line to block guards.

Comment

Working...
                              X