When will we read " Player bought out and is seeking to sign with the Raptors "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    They have 2M of MLE and the BAE left and 2 trade exemptions - Salmon's and Novak AFAIK and are kissing the luxury tax line with all contracts guaranteed
    I wouldn't say we're kissing the tax line- maybe whispering sweet nothings
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Re: the cap - we could release Steamer, whose salary isn't fully guaranteed, and then sign Javale to the minimum and we'd be fine.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
        Re: the cap - we could release Steamer, whose salary isn't fully guaranteed, and then sign Javale to the minimum and we'd be fine.
        His contract became guaranteed afaik

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          Considering Philly just ate $12M to buy him out (this season and next), I'm pretty McGee will be fine with the minimum.

Can't see SA. Pop and McGee just don't match. Houston seems logical.
          Can somebody explain to me what the 76ers are doing ? 12 million dollars not to play ? Next year he is an expiring contract which could fetch something at trade deadline day ... Heck shut him down for the rest of the year for a made up injury if your worried he might screw up your lottery chances .

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
            Can somebody explain to me what the 76ers are doing ? 12 million dollars not to play ? Next year he is an expiring contract which could fetch something at trade deadline day ... Heck shut him down for the rest of the year for a made up injury if your worried he might screw up your lottery chances .
            The fact that they did it in time for him to sign on with another team and be playoff eligible, I think they did it, at least partially, to appease the player (and more importantly, the agent).

Yes, they could have held on to him for another season and tried to trade him. But with the way they have been negotiating rookie deals (look at the McDaniels situation for example) have likely turned some agents/players off from even wanting to deal with them. By doing this, they could be trying to get back in the good graces for some agents/players (DISCLAIMER: I have no clue who is agent is, or the other players this agent represents).

They had no real interest in McGee the player (Noel and eventually Embiid seem far superior prospects worth their time and energy). They only wanted his salary hit to take them to the cap floor. They accomplished that my claiming him off waivers (no acquisition cost), so he has served his purpose for them.

Might as well earn some good karma that can be cashed in later. What are they really going to be able to trade McGee for? They already have enough 2nd rounders for several decades.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

76ers got OKC's 1st round pick from Denver for taking McGee from the Nuggets.

It was Robinson they claimed off waivers.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                The fact that they did it in time for him to sign on with another team and be playoff eligible, I think they did it, at least partially, to appease the player (and more importantly, the agent).

Yes, they could have held on to him for another season and tried to trade him. But with the way they have been negotiating rookie deals (look at the McDaniels situation for example) have likely turned some agents/players off from even wanting to deal with them. By doing this, they could be trying to get back in the good graces for some agents/players (DISCLAIMER: I have no clue who is agent is, or the other players this agent represents).

They had no real interest in McGee the player (Noel and eventually Embiid seem far superior prospects worth their time and energy). They only wanted his salary hit to take them to the cap floor. They accomplished that my claiming him off waivers (no acquisition cost), so he has served his purpose for them.

Might as well earn some good karma that can be cashed in later. What are they really going to be able to trade McGee for? They already have enough 2nd rounders for several decades.
                Wow this league has gone to a place that teams now feel the need to appease a player who averages 4.6 points and 2.6 rebounds .. Wow

Comment

Wow this league has gone to a place that teams now feel the need to appease a player who averages 4.6 points and 2.6 rebounds .. Wow
                  I don't think they care about McGee, but rather the potential players they will be negotiating with over the next couple of seasons.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

They have 2M of MLE and the BAE left and 2 trade exemptions - Salmon's and Novak AFAIK and are kissing the luxury tax line with all contracts guaranteed
                    This is right, except the kissing bit. We have room for a minimum deal before hitting the tax. Also, we are not hard capped right now, but if we use any more of the MLE or any of the BAE, we will be, which could potentially play into draft day deals.

His contract became guaranteed afaik
                    Yep.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

One other aspect re the McGee/Philly situation is that the 76ers needed to spend to the floor of the cap. The cost of his contract is sunk/on the books and they accomplished both their obligations to the CBA and acquiring a 1st rnd. pick. Alternatively they could have spread the monies under the floor amongst the team. I am sure they would have appreciated that considering the brutal season forced upon them.

Comment

I think Toronto would have to show interest for it to be considered a possible destination .. no?

Comment

Nah, I think its a respect thing. If they're leaning toward to dropping him, and they dropped him a week after the deadline, it would make them look bad .. or worse than they already do anyway.. in other agents/players eyes. Thats how I look at it. Its a common courtesy thing.

Comment

There's also agents to worry about. If he shares the same agent as some of your players, or someone you want to target eventually, you do not want to piss off said agent/agency.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                              Nah, I think its a respect thing. If they're leaning toward to dropping him, and they dropped him a week after the deadline, it would make them look bad .. or worse than they already do anyway.. in other agents/players eyes. Thats how I look at it. Its a common courtesy thing.
                              Also whatever money the new team pays him gets taken off the Sixers bill.

Comment

76ers aren't going to be attracting many free agents anytime soon...
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X