No announcement yet.

Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Thibs really be the right choice? Why is Chicago willing to part ways with him? He's a defensive mastermind (a real one) but I'd think twice about picking up a guy when an organization like Chicago is willing to part ways with him.

Someone from the Spurs system would be great, but it seems like everybody right now is clamoring over themselves to get a guy from there. Still...I think that might be the most realistic option.

JVG I think stated that he's happy with his current situation.

Thinking somewhat "outside the fire Casey box"....what if Casey sticks around but Masai hires a guy with a real offensive system on his resume? I guess that solves half the problem.

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
      Mark Jackson, JVG, Thibs are interesting candidates to me.
      Thibs is the only one there I really like.

I also would be open to approaching Messina or Obradovic. Obradovic I think finishes up his contract with Fenerbahce this year.

Less familiar with college coaches. Seen good things written up on Hoiberg. Ollie doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Smart just took a big new job and I wasn't big on him as an NBA option anyway. Calipari's name gets thrown around, but I don't know about him.

I don't know if there are NBA re-treads worth a look. Like I said, not big on JVG or Mark Jackson. Can't say I'd be ineterested in Brooks if OKC lets him go. Would probably rather give an assistant the job instead of a lot of these re-tread guys, maybe even from our own staff.

Comment

• I think one thing that watching Casey has taught me is that guys who have spent most of their time as an assistant coach may not have particularly good skills or experience at managing in-game decisions and substitutions. I'd value significant head-coaching experience and success at any high level (NBA, d-league, NCAA, high-level international) right now over someone who's been almost exclusively an assistant coach. I don't want to spend the next couple years waiting for a guy to learn how to run a team.

Comment

• nubreed000 wrote: View Post
          Would Thibs really be the right choice? Why is Chicago willing to part ways with him? He's a defensive mastermind (a real one) but I'd think twice about picking up a guy when an organization like Chicago is willing to part ways with him.

Someone from the Spurs system would be great, but it seems like everybody right now is clamoring over themselves to get a guy from there. Still...I think that might be the most realistic option.

JVG I think stated that he's happy with his current situation.

Thinking somewhat "outside the fire Casey box"....what if Casey sticks around but Masai hires a guy with a real offensive system on his resume? I guess that solves half the problem.
          Does it? Casey's defensive system is a tire fire with the roster's current construction.
          @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Comment

• I know its a pipe dream but I would love to get coach K from Duke. No way we would have been embarrassed like last night.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
              Avery Johnson, and Thibs may be available after the playoffs assuming the bulls lose to cleveland.
              Avery Johnson just signed on to be head coach of Alabama.

Mark Jackson would be my first choice, but honestly wouldn't mind seeing Sam Mitchell or Butch Carter back.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                Tom Sterner.
                TOM Fucking STERNER

Comment

• TeamEd wrote: View Post
                  Does it? Casey's defensive system is a tire fire with the roster's current construction.
                  well defense would be the other half...but then there's the rotations, match ups, adjustments issues.

Comment

Would Thibs really be the right choice? Why is Chicago willing to part ways with him?
                    Because he spends most of the season playing with an eight or nine-man rotation and grinds his players down into dust.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                      Because he spends most of the season playing with an eight or nine-man rotation and grinds his players down into dust.
                      Exactly. (my question was sort of a rhetorical question)

I dunno if he's the guy for the job...

Comment

• Well Thunder fired Brooks. So Thunder is gonna get the best available coach and we're gonna end up with something mediocre again
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                          I still don't buy this narrative. Most of the teams he's coached in Chicago have not been deeper than 8 or 9, and his mandate was to win. What's he supposed to do? And the guys he played actual heavy minutes were always at positions where they seriously lacked depth.

Comment

• What about thoughts on a recently former player? Steve Kerr has turned out pretty well for Golden State and arguably Jason Kidd has exceeded expectations in Milwaukee despite his personality issues. Derek Fisher has kind of been a bust thus far, but I think a lot of that has to do with the total dysfunction of the Knicks team.

Outside the box thinking, but maybe we could go after Steve Nash?
                            Last edited by threeFiddy; Wed Apr 22, 2015, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Scott Brooks just got released and I don't want to see anyone suggesting him .. Just don't do it.

Comment

Exactly. (my question was sort of a rhetorical question)

I dunno if he's the guy for the job...
                                Maybe he isn't, but he could easily be the best coach available among option with NBA head coaching experience. I think most would agree he's done as well as possible with the cards he's been dealt in Chicago.

Comment

Working...
                                X