No announcement yet.

Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The important thing is that Casey is gone. Don't want bickering over the replacement to interfere with the main objective.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      The important thing is that Casey is gone. Don't want bickering over the replacement to interfere with the main objective.
      Ha! Bickering over Bickerstaff!
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        The important thing is that Casey is gone. Don't want bickering over the replacement to interfere with the main objective.
        Yeah, the worst thing would be when Masai clicks on RR to see who our consensus hire is, and sees that we're just arguing about it, he might get frustrated and decide to just keep Casey. Who knows, if the Raptors lose today, he could be checking in to see who we want as coach in just a few hours. Focus, people! MU is counting on us!

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
          Yeah, the worst thing would be when Masai clicks on RR to see who our consensus hire is, and sees that we're just arguing about it, he might get frustrated and decide to just keep Casey. Who knows, if the Raptors lose today, he could be checking in to see who we want as coach in just a few hours. Focus, people! MU is counting on us!
          If Masai is concerned about RR views on the coaching, wonder what he thinks about the Everything Derozan thread? That place is where the real battles are.

I just find it funny/annoying that someone is trying to create a list of options (essentially the premise of the entire thread) but is dismissing other people's suggestions as "not good enough" but without taking even enough time to realize who the person is. Hard to have a serious conversation if someone ignores what you say.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            If Masai is concerned about RR views on the coaching, wonder what he thinks about the Everything Derozan thread? That place is where the real battles are.

I just find it funny/annoying that someone is trying to create a list of options (essentially the premise of the entire thread) but is dismissing other people's suggestions as "not good enough" but without taking even enough time to realize who the person is. Hard to have a serious conversation if someone ignores what you say.
            Not sure why everyone keeps suggesting Karl Malone. Joel Thibodeau is also a weird suggestion given his only experience is being the lead singer for American folk band Death Vessel.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              Not sure why everyone keeps suggesting Karl Malone. Joel Thibodeau is also a weird suggestion given his only experience is being the lead singer for American folk band Death Vessel.
              Still better than Casey!!

Comment

• Some random thought names of coaches who never really got a fair deal (interim, injuries, etc) but have NBA HC experience (since that seems to matter to some people)

Jim Boylan
                Jeff Bzdelik
                Eric Musselman

Of the 3, Musselman might be the better option. Currently coaching in NCAA while Boylan and Bzdelik are NBA assistants.

Comment

• I'd prefer shaka smart, but he just signed with texas so i'm going for Fred Hoiberg (even through heart problems) and Nate Mcmillan

Comment

• Quintarka wrote: View Post
                    I'd prefer shaka smart, but he just signed with texas so i'm going for Fred Hoiberg (even through heart problems) and Nate Mcmillan
                    Smart is a system coach. His pressing style works in college, but I can't see it working in the NBA where the players are better, smarter and more athletic. Smart should stay in college forever.

Hoiberg is my #1 (as per the OP) but I question whether we can pull it off. Plus it sounds like he wants some personnel control if he leaves Iowa State (his alma matter), so I don't see Masai landing Hoiberg.

McMillan is a name that gets a lot of tread. Honestly don't know how I feel about him. Some like him, some really don't. I would prefer to go after a young guy (more I read on Alex Jensen, the more I like him as an option).

Comment

• sorry if this is a repost.
                      there are some very interesting names in these lists.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...hing-prospects

Comment

• distorsun wrote: View Post
                        sorry if this is a repost.
                        there are some very interesting names in these lists.

Some similar posted names, but nice little write ups. Solid find.

Udoka seems like a Masai hire; underdog, tireless worker, well spoken.

Comment

• My top 3 fav so far (Vanderpool + Atkinson + Jensen)
                          **Of course, this may change as I'm getting more info about these guys.
                          ========================================
                          SAS connection
                          Ettore Messina
                          Jim Boylen
                          David Vanterpool, Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach

Bulls:
                          Ed Pinckney, assistant coach

Heat:
                          David Fizdale, ssistant coach

Hawks:
                          Kenny Atkinson, assistant coach

Celts: Jay Larranaga, assistant coach

Utah :
                          Alex Jensen, AC

College
                          Fred Hoiberg, Iowa State head coach

Comment

• Definitely a lot of "interesting" options out there. I think the biggest thing is for Masai to cast a large net, meet and interview as many candidates as possible; don't be limited in thinking one resume attribute is the magic one. D-League, overseas, NCAA, Assistants; everyone should be in play.

Comment

• So I was up late last night watching videos of Obradovic running a pick-and-roll lecture/clinic with 17-year-olds. In less than an hour he had them running an offense that was more complicated and sophisticated than anything the Raptors ran this year. But mostly, I was watching to get a sense of what his philosophy is. (Weirdly copy-and-pasting isn't working for me on RR, but you can search for Obradovic, pick-and-roll on youtube).

A few notes on his philosophy: His team at the time (it was from when he was in greek league) had 51 play-calls on offence, including something like 10 side-inbounds and 10 baseline inbounds, plus most of the pick-and-rolls were designed to be run both from up top and from the side. He wouldn't use all of these in a single game, but come up with a playbook with perhaps 4 pick-and-roll plays, 3 for shooters, and 3 for inside.
                              He heavily stressed the importance of having players who can play inside, and then getting the ball there as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter if those players are PGs or Cs, what matters is their ability to play near the basket.
                              Talked about adjustments to the pick and roll, how no team will try and defend it the same way for 40 minutes, so you must always be ready and have always practiced the variations that you might need to make in-game.
                              He talked about listening to his players, and how some specific adaptations had come from observations and ideas that his players had brought to him in-game. He also praised the intelligence of the players he had. And how much being with the same team and group of players for as many as 8 years makes it much easier to teach.
                              He also addressed isolation, and how it had disappeared almost completely from European basketball. And he said this was more on coaches not trusting players and designing good isolation plays. But isolation also requires constant movement and screens from non-ball-handlers. Later on, he demonstrated one isolation play, which started out looking like a pick-and-roll, except both big-men at the foul-line moved like they were coming out to set a pick, then turned and ran down toward the low-post, both wing players went from the low-post out to the 3-point line, so that the isolation player up top could attack at the exact moment that the other four defenders all had turned away to pursue their men.

The actual pick-and-roll offence that he had was pretty clever. It's based around a scheme where the ball is passed into a big-man at the top of the key, while the main pick-and-roll ball-handler is starting off-ball under the basket. He receives a pindown screen, comes up and gets a handoff from the C near the foul line. A nearly mirror-image occurs on the other side, resulting in a shooter running out for a catch-and-shoot. (Catch-and-shoot is huge for him, he says his team spends 20 minutes a game on those situations, knowing when to shoot and when to attack on catch-and-shoot situations with a defender running out at you). From that beginning, there are a lot of different wrinkles that he put into it. It's definitely an inside-out pick-and-roll that puts the ball-handler in position to make a lot of different plays based on his reads.
                              This is something I'd really like in our offense: a large number of different plays from the same look, playable from different places on the court. I'm sure if he came to the NBA he wouldn't use his Euro offense but would instead design something appropriate to the NBA, but I'd expect a similar level of complexity and sophistication. It was also clear how much work he puts into scouting other teams and players, so that he's able to predict exactly how they're going to react. This would be another aspect of an NBA transition that would probably take some time.

His demeanor with the kids was fine, based on descriptions I had heard I half expected him to be screaming at these kids every time they did something wrong. On the contrary it was extremely positive, yet you could see that he's a really passionate guy when it comes to basketball, I can fully imagine him screaming at his players.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                                So I was up late last night watching videos of Obradovic running a pick-and-roll lecture/clinic with 17-year-olds. In less than an hour he had them running an offense that was more complicated and sophisticated than anything the Raptors ran this year. But mostly, I was watching to get a sense of what his philosophy is. (Weirdly copy-and-pasting isn't working for me on RR, but you can search for Obradovic, pick-and-roll on youtube).

A few notes on his philosophy: His team at the time (it was from when he was in greek league) had 51 play-calls on offence, including something like 10 side-inbounds and 10 baseline inbounds, plus most of the pick-and-rolls were designed to be run both from up top and from the side. He wouldn't use all of these in a single game, but come up with a playbook with perhaps 4 pick-and-roll plays, 3 for shooters, and 3 for inside.
                                He heavily stressed the importance of having players who can play inside, and then getting the ball there as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter if those players are PGs or Cs, what matters is their ability to play near the basket.
                                Talked about adjustments to the pick and roll, how no team will try and defend it the same way for 40 minutes, so you must always be ready and have always practiced the variations that you might need to make in-game.
                                He talked about listening to his players, and how some specific adaptations had come from observations and ideas that his players had brought to him in-game. He also praised the intelligence of the players he had. And how much being with the same team and group of players for as many as 8 years makes it much easier to teach.
                                He also addressed isolation, and how it had disappeared almost completely from European basketball. And he said this was more on coaches not trusting players and designing good isolation plays. But isolation also requires constant movement and screens from non-ball-handlers. Later on, he demonstrated one isolation play, which started out looking like a pick-and-roll, except both big-men at the foul-line moved like they were coming out to set a pick, then turned and ran down toward the low-post, both wing players went from the low-post out to the 3-point line, so that the isolation player up top could attack at the exact moment that the other four defenders all had turned away to pursue their men.

The actual pick-and-roll offence that he had was pretty clever. It's based around a scheme where the ball is passed into a big-man at the top of the key, while the main pick-and-roll ball-handler is starting off-ball under the basket. He receives a pindown screen, comes up and gets a handoff from the C near the foul line. A nearly mirror-image occurs on the other side, resulting in a shooter running out for a catch-and-shoot. (Catch-and-shoot is huge for him, he says his team spends 20 minutes a game on those situations, knowing when to shoot and when to attack on catch-and-shoot situations with a defender running out at you). From that beginning, there are a lot of different wrinkles that he put into it. It's definitely an inside-out pick-and-roll that puts the ball-handler in position to make a lot of different plays based on his reads.
                                This is something I'd really like in our offense: a large number of different plays from the same look, playable from different places on the court. I'm sure if he came to the NBA he wouldn't use his Euro offense but would instead design something appropriate to the NBA, but I'd expect a similar level of complexity and sophistication. It was also clear how much work he puts into scouting other teams and players, so that he's able to predict exactly how they're going to react. This would be another aspect of an NBA transition that would probably take some time.

His demeanor with the kids was fine, based on descriptions I had heard I half expected him to be screaming at these kids every time they did something wrong. On the contrary it was extremely positive, yet you could see that he's a really passionate guy when it comes to basketball, I can fully imagine him screaming at his players.
                                Nice write up, thanks.

Love the idea of stressing getting the ball inside, and not necessarily to a big. One thing many people overlook is that the pressure on a defence by having the ball inside is vastly different than on the perimeter; creating new angles and lanes. Most defences start from the ball on the perimeter, so getting the ball inside will often work to their weaknesses. From there, you can still work the ball around to get a good shot (either outside or inside).

Comment

Working...
                                X