Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerome wrote: View Post
    two with Houston, and then one with the Celtics in 2008. Just image him being our head coach and all the crazy avatars people will be using
    I would be more than happy to edit Casey out of mine for Cassell. Haha

#FireCasey #HireCassell

PS I just discovered RR has Comic Sans....
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Apr 28, 2015, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      I would be more than happy to edit Casey out of mine for Cassell. Haha

#FireCasey #HireCassell

PS I just discovered RR has Comic Sans....
      hahaha yes!

This is pretty great.

#FireCasey

#PunchCasey
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Sarcastic comic sans FTW
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          You are also missing some interesting names from the OP - Gates, Jensen, Bickerstaff and Pack.
          Axel wrote: View Post
          You still haven't quite figured out that JB Bickerstaff is the son of Bernie Bickerstaff, and therefore not 71 years old. So the intelligence is certainly fair to question when you can't be bothered to actually read anything people write and are just giving your cursory assessment.
          That's your original post. Does it say JB anywhere? Junk in. Junk out. To the rest of the world Bickerstaff is Bernie Bickerstaff and not his son whose highest praise is, "Around basketball his whole life" thanks to his daddy. And no, getting an assistant job @ 25 thanks to his daddy does not impress me. All these other coaches earned their keep in NCAA, then Europe, CBA, Dleague and then the NBA. They have a body of work.

And I recommend you check yourself on claiming intellectual superiority when you post feces and half-facts.

JB has done nothing of significance as an assistant since 2004, and only a fool would think he's capable of being a head coach. His resume is paper thin. Coaching the Bobcats for a single summer league doesn't change that. He's never done player development, and in his 10 years an assistant he has never had a lead assistant role. Seriously? He's the defensive coach of a team that only 2 starters bother to play defense. How is he better than Casey?

For all your grandstanding and nonsense, tell me Axel, how are these mediocre assistants going to:
          1/ Be perceived as better options as Head Coach than Casey.
          2/ Actually be better options at Head Coach than Casey.

Casey sucks, but replacing him with kids, or assistants with little pedigree will not create confidence in the locker room. It will not improve X's and O's. It will not win the PR battle with a public that is disillusioned with Casey's lack of talent. Casey has worked as an assistant for 2 of the smartest basketball minds, George Karl and Carlisle. He's the winning-est coach in franchise history. He has improved his record every year he has been here.

If your plan includes tanking and trading off players, putting in a green head coach doesn't matter. But, if the Raptors are trying to sell the media, and ticket purchasers into buying into this team a more respected coach is a must. Choices have consequences. You think advertisers who are putting their money into the Raptors now that they're winning will stay if they replace Casey with an unknown coach? Because they coached a defense that was good for half a year or some other half-reasoned logic? NBA is a business. That's not how smart money works. Investors leave high risk situations. They can't replace Casey with someone without a significant resume that shareholders, investors, private box owners, corporate season seat holders, and season seat holders will see as an upgrade.

It's the same reason why you might be more talented than someone at something, but they get the job because they have a better resume. At the end of the day the person making the hire has to justify their choice to someone above them, and if you have less experience working for lower caliber organizations, selling the idea of hiring you to their bosses/investors is a more difficult task.

Again, I'm looking at the exact same data as you and all your candidates are low tier choices. If you have a problem with that block me, or grow up.

Comment

• JB Bickerstaff – Assistant in Houston
            Dude, he referenced the OP. It's right there in bold.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              That's your original post. Does it say JB anywhere? Junk in. Junk out. To the rest of the world Bickerstaff is Bernie Bickerstaff and not his son whose highest praise is, "Around basketball his whole life" thanks to his daddy. And no, getting an assistant job @ 25 thanks to his daddy does not impress me. All these other coaches earned their keep in NCAA, then Europe, CBA, Dleague and then the NBA. They have a body of work.

And I recommend you check yourself on claiming intellectual superiority when you post feces and half-facts.

JB has done nothing of significance as an assistant since 2004, and only a fool would think he's capable of being a head coach. His resume is paper thin. Coaching the Bobcats for a single summer league doesn't change that. He's never done player development, and in his 10 years an assistant he has never had a lead assistant role. Seriously? He's the defensive coach of a team that only 2 starters bother to play defense. How is he better than Casey?

For all your grandstanding and nonsense, tell me Axel, how are these mediocre assistants going to:
              1/ Be perceived as better options as Head Coach than Casey.
              2/ Actually be better options at Head Coach than Casey.

Casey sucks, but replacing him with kids, or assistants with little pedigree will not create confidence in the locker room. It will not improve X's and O's. It will not win the PR battle with a public that is disillusioned with Casey's lack of talent. Casey has worked as an assistant for 2 of the smartest basketball minds, George Karl and Carlisle. He's the winning-est coach in franchise history. He has improved his record every year he has been here.

If your plan includes tanking and trading off players, putting in a green head coach doesn't matter. But, if the Raptors are trying to sell the media, and ticket purchasers into buying into this team a more respected coach is a must. Choices have consequences. You think advertisers who are putting their money into the Raptors now that they're winning will stay if they replace Casey with an unknown coach? Because they coached a defense that was good for half a year or some other half-reasoned logic? NBA is a business. That's not how smart money works. Investors leave high risk situations. They can't replace Casey with someone without a significant resume that shareholders, investors, private box owners, corporate season seat holders, and season seat holders will see as an upgrade.

It's the same reason why you might be more talented than someone at something, but they get the job because they have a better resume. At the end of the day the person making the hire has to justify their choice to someone above them, and if you have less experience working for lower caliber organizations, selling the idea of hiring you to their bosses/investors is a more difficult task.

Again, I'm looking at the exact same data as you and all your candidates are low tier choices. If you have a problem with that block me, or grow up.
              Your continued arrogance is only rivaled by your stupidity. If you can't figure out that "Bickerstaff from the OP" refers to JB Bickerstaff, then that is 100% because you didn't bother to read the OP, the names and their backgrounds. So yes, that is your stupidity, cause everyone else knew it was JB Bickerstaff because they actually read what other people write. You should try it sometime.

If you disagree with his credentials, that's your prerogative, I really don't care what you think about any of the suggested candidates, but if you are going to try and "create a list of suggested names" and want to screen candidates out for not meeting your quality test, then you should actually know who the person is or you just look like a complete knob.

JB spent 3 years on his dad's staff, and then the past 8 on other teams. Your lazy assessment doesn't even fit the most basic of narratives. He has already been interviewed for Head Coaching jobs by Detroit, Milwaukee, and Phoenix in the last few years. So while you think "only a fool" would think he's capable, fact is 3 NBA teams brought him in for an interview. I tend to think that 3 NBA teams would have better judgement than some random keyboard jockey. So while considering all Coaching talent, a guy with 11 years as an assistant in the NBA and multiple HC interviews, is definitely someone we should consider.

Your posts have completely demonstrated that you neither read or consider what others say, yet try to pose as intellectually superior and defame others for providing thought-out posts that you can't be bothered to read or comprehend. So you can claim I post "feces and half facts" all you want, because you have demonstrated beyond a shadow of doubt that the level of intelligence behind your posts is close to nil.
              Last edited by Axel; Tue Apr 28, 2015, 12:17 PM.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Dude, he referenced the OP. It's right there in bold.
                Clearly it is too much to ask someone to read all of this:

"JB Bickerstaff – Assistant in Houston

The guy may have gotten to the NBA coaching circles by using his dad (Bernie) to get there, but he seems to have solidified his place in the league. He has taken charge of the Rockets defence this year (they have the best Opp3P% in the league, 8th in DRtg and 9th in OppFG%).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ense/20081033/

He’s young and still has lots to prove, but he’s already getting interviews and will likely be getting a shot in the new couple of years from someone."

Note, not only do I refer to JB by name, I even reference that his dad (Bernie) was part of his ascension. How much more clear is it possible to be?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• My top choices in order:

Tom Thibodeau
                  Jeff Van Gundy
                  Zjelko Obradovic

Although Obradovic is an extremely harsh coach, him and Lowry would have a clash of the titans. But I believe he would get the best out of guys like Ross and JV.

To be honest, we need a coach who management gives the backing to be 'above' the team, which seems all too rare in today's NBA. Poppovich, Thibbs and maybe Doc Rivers seem to be the only examples that come to mind. The new coach needs to be able to hold ALL guys EQUALLY accountable.
                  @alexgres10

Comment

• Thunder moving forward:

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/29/okl...oaching-rumors

The Oklahoma City Thunder are preparing an offer to make Florida's Billy Donovan their next head coach, Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski and Pat Forde report.

The Thunder are "pushing for him to accept the job," Wojnarowski and Forde report.

Comment

• FWIW: Random SI Round-Table on Who should be the next Thunder Coach

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/29/okl...u-phil-jackson

Comment

• Looks like Donovan to OKC is a done deal

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...florida-gators

Comment

• Looks like one of the names that seemed to come up a lot in this thread is looking for a Head Coach in the NBA job: Ettore Messina.

I hope we at least take a swing at this guy if he really wants a Head Coach gig.
                          Last edited by Just Is; Wed May 6, 2015, 05:22 PM.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                            Looks like one of the names that seemed to come up a lot in this thread is looking for a Head Coach in the NBA job: Ettore Messina.

I hope we at least take a swing at this guy if he really wants a Head Coach gig.
                            I would not mind that at all.

Comment

• Maybe Messina caught wind that Pop makes $11M per season and thought: "Dammmmmmn."

Popovich, who’s also the Spurs’ president, was believed to be making an NBA-high $8 million per season before signing a contract extension last summer. If Popovich is paid $11 million now, Tony Parker is the only player on San Antonio’s roster making more (though Kawhi Leonard will soon follow).

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...lion-per-year/

Comment

• Not sure how I feel about Messina.. after all he is the guy that helped develop Andrea Bargnani.

Comment

Working...
                                X