No announcement yet.

Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have anyone specific in mind, but I think it's absolutely necessary to find a coach that understands and appreciates how the NBA has changed, how the game is currently being played by dominant teams, and how that trend may evolve in the future. We need a system coach, especially if we continue to roll out a "star-less" roster, which seems likely.

Funny thing, I was sort of watching an old Lakers-Bulls game on NBATV yesterday or the day before, Jordan vs Magic, and I have to say it was some of the most uninteresting and boring ball I have ever watched. I'm not sure when the screen and or PnR were developed, but it must have been after that game lol. I swear, there wasn't a single play called for either team. EVERYTHING was ISO, and I thought to myself, Casey must be a relic or something to think that this shit applies in today's game. And yeah, I know, we are talking about Jordan and Magic here, and obviously not every team had the luxury of rolling out such talented players, let alone rely on them as much as their teams did. But still, it was garbage basketball and wouldn't work in today's game even if you have the best players in the game. It's all about ball movement, efficiency and team defense. So Kudos to Steve Kerr. This is a guy that played with Jordan, and saw the ISO ball in all it's glory, didn't have a lick of HC experience, but yet still recognized over the years of watching the game how it was changing on both sides of the ball and was creative enough to implement a more appropriate system to an already talented and relatively successful team.

We need a creative, pliable mind. A coach that isn't stuck in his ways and understands how the game is presently being played successfully. And of course, that guy has to get the players to buy into his ideas, but that can be said of any coach.

Comment

A piece written on hoiberg last May about what it would take to leave:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...e-fred-hoiberg

Assuming the article has any substance, I don't think hoiberg is coining to work for Masai.

Comment

Apparently hoiberg contacted University of Minnesota in 2007 expressing interest in coaching.

Mr. Hoiberg says it was a childhood dream to coach the Cyclones. He says he planted a seed four years ago with Mr. Pollard by calling to express his interest. At the time, Mr. Hoiberg had undergone heart surgery and was named a "special assistant" by the Timberwolves while he tried to get back in shape (that job didn't require any real coaching, he says).

When it was clear a comeback wasn't in the cards, he took a job as the team's general manager—scouting games, making trade calls and tweaking rosters. Still, he says, he pined for a more "hands-on" experience.

Even after the previous Iowa State coach, Greg McDermott, said he might leave the program for Creighton, Mr. Hoiberg says he was still surprised to get the call from Mr. Pollard. "I didn't get much sleep that night," he recalls. He says he stayed up putting together a plan for how he intended to turn the program around. He says he was nervous, but that he'd learned some rookie coaching tricks from Mr. Bird, his former coach at the Indiana Pacers, and from Kevin McHale, who took over head coaching duties for the Minnesota Timberwolves in the second half of the 2005 season.

"Neither of those guys had experience, but they were great at communication and surrounded themselves with the right people," says Mr. Hoiberg.
        http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...69573395568508

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Assuming the article has any substance, I don't think hoiberg is coining to work for Masai.
          Those are some onerous conditions for a sitting GM to agree to. He seems to want a SVG deal (control of personnel & big dollars probably) and that doesnt happen very often where the gm/vp was let go before svg got the gig. Chicago which is rumoured to be interested would also be out of the running. He is dealing from a position of strength though and can wait.

Comment

Y'all looking for coaching replacement around NCAA and D-League! Watch Masai surprises us all with a Brazilian Popavich.

Don't waste your time here.

Comment

Definitely gotta go with Messina. I mean a combo of the Masaiah and the Messina will make the league shit its own proverbial pants.

Comment

I definitely wouldn't mind giving a guy his first shot (I think this team is years away from contention and honestly is another generation of players away, with Lowry, DD, Amir, GV, Lou all being gone by the time we're legitimate contenders).

Steve Nash comes to mind instantly, as his contract's up this offseason and will definitely be retiring. He's a lot like Jason Kidd in a way that he was a player that knew how to get others going. If not as HC, I wouldn't even hesitate to give him a Lue type assistant coaching deal.

Comment

I don't know much about any of these coaches, but i like the general ideas. A college coach like Hoiberg would have a lot of experience with player development and he has had success in college. Hard to argue with a coach coming from the Spurs system. I like Nash as a guy who would be coming directly from the NBA.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Heart breaking.....
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Pure speculation - maybe bit players are forced to really understand team dynamics and systems so they can find their niche, be effective, and keep their jobs. Guys with gobs of natural talent sometimes just get to "do what they do" while the rest of the team accommodates and tries to fit in around them.

Also, guys who are role players may be slightly less physically gifted but manage to make the cut because of basketball smarts.

It reminds me a bit of a study where C level students at Harvard were much more successful in the business world than A students. One of the thoughts was that a less gifted student had to learn to work harder and leverage other skills (speaking skills, kissing ass, etc.) to get through college successfully while A students cruised through on natural academic talent. The broader skills the C students developed transferred better to the working world than the A students' ability to write a great paper or exam. Are successful role players forced to develop skills that transfer well to coaching?
                      That kinda of explains why guys who have wayyyy to many flaws (cough Hansbrough...cough)
                      to be in the NBA manage to have 10+years career while very talented and athletic players are in China or the D-League.

Comment

There's a vid on Grantland of Kobe after practice.

YOU MUST SEE IT !!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/si...of-the-season/

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        hahahaha

Did they ever "like" him?

Comment

Its pretty funny that you guys believe a new coach will change what these guys are doing.

Messaiah added a notorious chucker to the lineup in the offseason. That chucker challenged the two current chuckers, now its a chuck off and no coach on the planet will change that.

MU somehow consistently gets a free pass with you guys and it makes me chuckle.

He traded bargnani. thats it. woohoo.

his best players right now are almost all BC's, so he inherited that.
                          He dumped gay for some benchers. not bad, but nothing big.

Now, his creation is failing badly, I mean horribly.

You guys wanna pin this on coaching because you have HS or college mentalities as it pertains to how team sare run. Thats cool, I do too but I have come to learn over the last 20 years or so that pro sports are very, very seldom about coaching...players do what they please, always have.

Talent wins in the NBA.

Toronto isnt talented enough, and the almost good players are treating their time here as auditions for better contracts someplace out. hence the "get mine" mentality you see.

So yeah..... have fun on this thread.... its all good. But if you think freddy fucking Hoiberg is gonna make Lou Williams pass the ball to Jonas Valanciunoueusonness. Youre crazy as fuck

Comment

Not sure how many here watch CIS ball, but Dave Smart is a genius and a mental case that would hold every stupid shot accountable. The guy has run an absolute dynasty for 10+ years and will most likely be the Canadian Head Coach at some point. Not sure he'd leave as he's already had NCAA offers and turned them down, but he would be my pick. To see him call out DeMar while the other team shoots free throws would be epic!
                            There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                              Its pretty funny that you guys believe a new coach will change what these guys are doing.

Messaiah added a notorious chucker to the lineup in the offseason. That chucker challenged the two current chuckers, now its a chuck off and no coach on the planet will change that.

MU somehow consistently gets a free pass with you guys and it makes me chuckle.

He traded bargnani. thats it. woohoo.

his best players right now are almost all BC's, so he inherited that.
                              He dumped gay for some benchers. not bad, but nothing big.

Now, his creation is failing badly, I mean horribly.

You guys wanna pin this on coaching because you have HS or college mentalities as it pertains to how team sare run. Thats cool, I do too but I have come to learn over the last 20 years or so that pro sports are very, very seldom about coaching...players do what they please, always have.

Talent wins in the NBA.

Toronto isnt talented enough, and the almost good players are treating their time here as auditions for better contracts someplace out. hence the "get mine" mentality you see.

So yeah..... have fun on this thread.... its all good. But if you think freddy fucking Hoiberg is gonna make Lou Williams pass the ball to Jonas Valanciunoueusonness. Youre crazy as fuck
                              Lou Williams role in the nba isn't to pass the ball to valanciunas.

Although I'd agree he might need to look to pass a bit more, he's on this team to get buckets and that's it. And for the most part he does. He's a streaky game changer and is the type of player that can win you a game in the playoffs.
                              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                              Because its 2015

Comment

Si.

He has to pass the ball. As does Demar, Lowry etc....

These guys are competing for contract stats.

Comment

Working...
                                X