Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Raps have a shot at Kevin Love? Wouldya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit wrote: View Post
    Trade for him? Not if you had to give up any true assets.

If you could sign him in FA without destroying our cap, future flexibility and still commit to whatever direction this team chooses to take? Definitely, talent is always welcome.
    Oh fuck.

So you mean.... getting an allstar, olympian in his prime, One that averages an amazingly high double double and is money all they way out to 25 feet, is ok by you?

Just as long as you don't have to send ANYTHING back the other way, or pay him what he's worth.

got it.

good talk.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      Love is super valuable in this league.. so if you get him for "free" (ie, as a free agent), his value will be sky high. He's a 20/10 monster and he was traded for Wiggins. His value has not dropped off because of how he played in Cleveland. So you get him, and if he's not working out, you move him. Like you said.. talent is always welcome.
      I could see Love telling Cleveland that he's not going to take his player option to stay with the Cavs as leverage to force a trade. He probably doesn't want to opt out and sign a new deal this year because of the now-confirmed massive one-year jump in salary cap after the tv deal kicks in, so if he could opt in as part of a sign and trade, that really complicates things. Do the Raps take a 1-year chance on Love and be forced into giving him new-cap max money or lose him in free agency? What do you have to give up to do it? You'd have to think that any kind of lowball offer (like Patterson plus expirings plus a 2nd rounder or something) would be trumped hard by teams like Houston.

None of this is likely to happen of course, but it's fun to speculate.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
        Oh fuck.

So you mean.... getting an allstar, olympian in his prime, One that averages an amazingly high double double and is money all they way out to 25 feet, is ok by you?

Just as long as you don't have to send ANYTHING back the other way, or pay him what he's worth.

got it.

good talk.
        He's 17/10 with a decrease in DReb. He's Boozer with a three pointer

Comment

Love has a player option after this season...seems like he will opt out the way his role/play is turning out in Clev.

Comment

Again, this is all a moot point. If he opts out and he has the choice of 10 different max offers, he ain't coming here.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              This franchise is in absolutely no position to be choosy about an All-NBA player
              Thats dangerous thinking. Because FAs dont want to sign here we should sign anyone who will? Would we want Melo just because he's an All-NBA player?

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
                Thats dangerous thinking. Because FAs dont want to sign here we should sign anyone who will? Would we want Melo just because he's an All-NBA player?
                A lot of people here would say yes absolutely. I on the other hand agree to stay far away from Melo and guys of that ilk
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                  Oh fuck.

got it.

good talk.
                  Nice attitude, love the approach.

So with the team as is what do you think you'll have to give up for him? Cleveland gave wiggins away for him so what do we have that could match that? A couple firsts, Ross and JV?

Love goes FA in 2016 so we aren't guaranteed any time to build around him as we still try to clear out cap space, have no youngsters who can contribute, probably have few to no picks...

Lets say resigning him comes with a 50/50 guarantee. You want to mortgage for a 50/50 shot at the future on a guy who isn't a guaranteed centerpiece? Sure if we could get a top tier guy but Love is top of the second class in my opinion.

As for not paying him what he's worth, that's not what I said so go ahead and feel free to double check. Heck I'll bring it here for you "without destroying our cap, future flexibility and still commit to whatever direction this team chooses to take?"

Pay him what he's worth, that's the only way you get him. But again it has to fit into what your plan is. If you want to get him just to trade him away sure, do it. But if getting him takes away your ability to build effectively around him then you may as well toss your cash down a drain and come back in a few years to see what you can do. He isn't going to be a Lebron, or a Kobe, or a MJ. He wont carry a shitty team to success.

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
                    At this point Melo is damaged goods because of his injury, age, and insane contract, but a few years ago: yeah, I would have absolutely taken him. In the right system, he was an excellent player.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Again, this is all a moot point. If he opts out and he has the choice of 10 different max offers, he ain't coming here.
                      And then again he might not. The big money (cap increase) becomes available the following year.

Comment

A lot of people here would say yes absolutely. I on the other hand agree to stay far away from Melo and guys of that ilk
                        But who else was in Melo's ilk? And I'm talking about Melo from 3-4 years ago.

I'd say he was a pretty singular player.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I'm not so sure about that actually. There aren't too may teams in the league that can guarantee him max money, the chance to (kinda) win now and a chance to be a primary offensive cog. And there's the Eastern conference advantage. It's probably not enough, but I think they'd have an outside shot.

Comment

Hell No!
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

They also said Dirk was an offense-only defensive liability you couldn't build a championship team around. Dwayne Casey figured out how to build a defensive system with the players Dallas put around Dirk and it was enough to beat Miami ;P

Why would you turn down a shot at Kevin Love if you had one? Because we might sign Kevin Durant? Well sure, if all of a sudden the Raptors are in a position to choose between Love and Durant, then I'd take Durant too. The hardest part is coming up in the next couple years, boys. Masai's gonna look at the options and make some decisions and we're all gonna live with the results for several seasons of Raptors basketball, one way or the other.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I do not think love would come here making all the discussion moot

Comment

Working...
                                X