Ranking Eastern Conference Playoff Coaches: Thought Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking Eastern Conference Playoff Coaches: Thought Experiment

Here are all the teams that still have a shot to make the playoffs and their coaches.

Atlanta - Buds
    Cleveland - Blatt
    Chicago - Thibs
    Toronto - Casey
    Washington - Whitman
    Milwaukee - Kidd
    Miami - Spo
    Boston - Brad Stevens
    Charlotte - Steve Clifford
    Indiana - Vogel
    Brooklyn - Hollins
    Detroit - SVG (Probably doesn't belong as they are currently 4.5 games back, but it's SVG so I'd thought I'd Keep him)

Here's a thought experiment: You are a going to be assigned a random playoff team in the East, without knowing which team it's going to be, how do you rank the coaches? 1, being the guy you'd like the most, 12 being the guy you like the least. Also, what are you looking for?

1) Buds
    2) Thibs
    3) Vogel
    4) Spo
    5) SVG
    6) Stevens (great out of time out plays, which is crucial in the post season)
    7) Blatt (I think he's been handcuffed this season)
    8) Kidd
    9) Casey
    10) Steve Clifford (don't really know much about him)
    11) Hollins
    12) Whitman

I think the top 8 are all solid coaches, and the bottom four have serious flaws (with the exception of Clifford who I don't really know, and just assumed was better than Hollins and Whitman.)

EDIT: Mods, can your fix my title? Who says "Coachers"?!?!?!
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Wed Mar 25, 2015, 10:16 AM.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Unfortunately, the more I look at that list, the more I want Casey to be fired in the off season. I can't see him out coaching anyone for sure other than Whitman. And there it's maybe not out coaching, it's just not coaching as poorly.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
      Unfortunately, the more I look at that list, the more I want Casey to be fired in the off season. I can't see him out coaching anyone for sure other than Whitman. And there it's maybe not out coaching, it's just not coaching as poorly.
      Don't count on Casey out coaching Whitman if we play Wizards in playoffs.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
        Don't count on Casey out coaching Whitman if we play Wizards in playoffs.
        Whitman is Casey minus any ability to motivate.

Comment

I'm not convinced Casey has that ability anymore. We're a combined -26 in first quarters over the past 10 games.

Comment

And Casey is Hollins minus the cajones.

Comment

MU should lock Casey in a closet with a couple sheets of paper and don't let him out till he draws some plays up.
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                MU should lock Casey in a closet with a couple sheets of paper and don't let him out till he draws some plays up.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                  Not this nonsense again. Here you go: Motion Strong (same thing run by teams throughout the league):

And here they are working out of the Horns set.

But yeah, Casey needs to go "draw up some plays". Whatever that means. SMH.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    Not this nonsense again. Here you go: Motion Strong (same thing run by teams throughout the league):

Raptor run plays 2 and 3Q which I suspect is the assistants. The 4Q ISO non plays out of non timeouts is on Casey. I suspect Casey cant call TO because he has nothing to contribute. Casey's other play is throwing players under buses after he allows shit to continue.

Comment

So where are these plays when we're going iso?
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Here are all the teams that still have a shot to make the playoffs and their coaches.

Atlanta - Buds
                        Cleveland - Blatt
                        Chicago - Thibs
                        Toronto - Casey
                        Washington - Whitman
                        Milwaukee - Kidd
                        Miami - Spo
                        Boston - Brad Stevens
                        Charlotte - Steve Clifford
                        Indiana - Vogel
                        Brooklyn - Hollins
                        Detroit - SVG (Probably doesn't belong as they are currently 4.5 games back, but it's SVG so I'd thought I'd Keep him)

Here's a thought experiment: You are a going to be assigned a random playoff team in the East, without knowing which team it's going to be, how do you rank the coaches? 1, being the guy you'd like the most, 12 being the guy you like the least. Also, what are you looking for?

1) Buds
                        2) Thibs
                        3) Vogel
                        4) Spo
                        5) SVG
                        6) Stevens (great out of time out plays, which is crucial in the post season)
                        7) Blatt (I think he's been handcuffed this season)
                        8) Kidd
                        9) Casey
                        10) Steve Clifford (don't really know much about him)
                        11) Hollins
                        12) Whitman

I think the top 8 are all solid coaches, and the bottom four have serious flaws (with the exception of Clifford who I don't really know, and just assumed was better than Hollins and Whitman.)

EDIT: Mods, can your fix my title? Who says "Coachers"?!?!?!
                        Stevens should definitely be higher on this list

Comment

*It's not that Casey doesn't run plays

Its that he runs plays that have limited options, lead to ISO setups, or he hasn't taught his guys how to run the system.

If you watch the Spurs, they only have 2 or 3 different initial sets, but they run them EVERY time, and each of those initial sets has loads of off-ball movement designed to read-and-react to what the defense gives them. These types of offenses are very hard to run, and take years to get ran correctly, but if you want a sustainable team, it is the best option.

The Raptors plays are ball-dominant, where the ball sits in one spot until a specific set of screens is run for a specific cut, and the pass is made. You can watch the player with the ball keep his head on the cutting player, telegraphing the whole thing. Yes it is still a play, but a very High School way of running one...

Comment

The only coach I would take Casey over is Whitman. He sucks and Wizards fans seem to hate him as much as we hate Casey.
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Bourgozie wrote: View Post
                              Stevens should definitely be higher on this list
                              How high? How would you rank those coaches?

Comment

Working...
                              X