Is Masai Ujiri Too Risk Averse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    Actually, it wouldn't. A 47-win team that wasn't even supposed to be in the playoffs trading a role player and a one-dimensional SG for a probable franchise player, let alone the fact he is likely to end up as the greatest Canadian player of all time, is not at all a risk.

Risky is what Cleveland did in trading that same probable franchise player for Kevin Love to try and go all in and win this season. If they don't win, and Love walks to the West Coast, they may have given up a potential top-50 player of all time for absolutely nothing in return other than a 50-win season that they likely would have had anyway. That's risk-taking.
    although you could also argue that (as is speculated) part of Lebron coming home was that he was gonna get Kevin Love, in which case, do you really want to risk not doing that?

Anyway, your point is still valid.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      Actually, it wouldn't. A 47-win team that wasn't even supposed to be in the playoffs trading a role player and a one-dimensional SG for a probable franchise player, let alone the fact he is likely to end up as the greatest Canadian player of all time, is not at all a risk.

Risky is what Cleveland did in trading that same probable franchise player for Kevin Love to try and go all in and win this season. If they don't win, and Love walks to the West Coast, they may have given up a potential top-50 player of all time for absolutely nothing in return other than a 50-win season that they likely would have had anyway. That's risk-taking.
      We're arguing 2 different things here. My point is: when was Wiggins for Amir/DD (to Cavs), or more accurately Amir/DD for Love actually an offer on the table that Minny would consider? I don't recall ever hearing or reading about that as a possible trade rumor. The only other credible offer for Love involved Klay Thompson, which GSW wouldn't do.

As soon as it became known that Wiggins was available for Love, there was zero % chance that Saunders flips Wiggins to the Raps for anybody not named KD, Curry, Griffin, Harden, Davis or Lebron. He would have been crucified.

I think most people would consider it a no-brainer, if that deal actually existed.

Comment

Was Tim privy to any trade possibility discussions Masai conducted? ...to be so assertive about his aversion levels.

Re Wiggins....I believe Lebron/Cavs had eyes only for Love...and Love they got for better or worse.

Comment

I hope LA goes full accelerated rebuild with hopes of getting Kevin Love this year.

Trade DeRozan for their pick which will hopefully be high enough for D'Angelo Russell.

Russell can play off ball with his shooting abilities. It would be like starting a good Vasquez.

Anyways that is my draft night dream. Masai will show Timmy who is risk averse.

Comment

Given that MU tried to tank, despite his team unexpectedly turning things around and winning respect and admiration from media and fans alike, I have a hard time accepting that he could be a risk averse GM.

For a GM who has fulfilled his publically stated goals of accumulating assets and maximizing financial flexibility, setting him up to be a major player this offseason (and/or potentially next offseason), I fail to understand the leap in logic required to reach the conclusion that he's risk averse.

Most of the story was based on incorrect facts and subjective correlation... or, more succinctly, BS.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              Trade DeRozan for their pick which will hopefully be high enough for D'Angelo Russell.
              I think their pick needs to be top 5 ( could be wrong) otherwise it will go to Suns. That being said, if they have a top 5 pick in this year's draft, there is ZERO chance they will trade it for DD. I am willing to bet anything you want on it.

Now, why Raptors, having all the problems in SF, PF, back up C try to trade their one position which is decent ? DD is young, athletic, has improved every year, has a good work ethics, loves the city and ...

We need to test him under the new coach's system before rushing into trading him especially since T.Ross has been so disappointg

Comment

A bit off topic...heard a interview with MU on 590 (McCown show) a bit ago....he & Weltman are in Clev. tonight for the Ncaa tourn. and will be doing their scouting thru the wkend. Hope they can mine some nuggets.

For those who didnt hear the interview I am sure they'll have it on pod. soon. In a nut...he is still upbeat about the team, recognizes the team isnt playing well but believes defense is the way to go. As any good chief exec would do he was being positive about the troops and encouraging to the players.

Comment

I hope LA goes full accelerated rebuild with hopes of getting Kevin Love this year.

Russell can play off ball with his shooting abilities. It would be like starting a good Vasquez.

Anyways that is my draft night dream. Masai will show Timmy who is risk averse.
                  Noone talks about it but I have a weird feeling Lakers will land both Deandre Jordan and Kevin Love while keeping their own pick to draft a PG.

P.S sorry for going way off topic.
                  Last edited by ball4life; Thu Mar 26, 2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    A bit off topic...heard a interview with MU on 590 (McCown show) a bit ago....he & Weltman are in Clev. tonight for the Ncaa tourn. and will be doing their scouting thru the wkend. Hope they can mine some nuggets.

For those who didnt hear the interview I am sure they'll have it on pod. soon. In a nut...he is still upbeat about the team, recognizes the team isnt playing well but believes defense is the way to go. As any good chief exec would do he was being positive about the troops and encouraging to the players.
                    Just listened to it.

Beginning gave me flashbacks to BC but, as you said in bold, what else is he going to say?

Interesting bit on bruno: next year is his first year in our opinion.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                      Noone talks about it but I have a weird feeling Lakers will land both Deandre Jordan and Kevin Love while keeping their own pick to draft a PG.

P.S sorry for going way off topic.
                      That won't happen this year via free agency without those guys taking less than what they could get.

Comment

Didn't read Tim's article so just going by what the OP had to say.. I think Masai does take risks but you have to really define what you mean by taking risks.. any transaction is risky. Trading Gay was risky. Deciding not to trade TR is risky. Resigning GV and 2Pat could be considered risky.. as could trading Salmons for Bebe/Lou.

I assume being risky then is doing something that is opposite of what the general census believes is a good idea, and then hoping it works out. Well the Bruno pick then would totally be considered risky considering it was his first draft selection with his new team.

Holding on to Melo until there was a bidding war between NY and Brooklyn was an excellent call. It could have backfired, but it didn't.. So that move alone shows how shrewd Masai can be. Bryan didn't trade Bosh, hoped he'd resign and didn't. That was a risky move that completely blew up in his face. Some would argue that BC was stupid for not reading the tea leaves. And perhaps that's why he's out of a job and Masai isn't.

Anyway.. not sure why you would assume that Masai is not a risk taker. Would he have moved in on Harden if he was the GM of the Raptors? Maybe/maybe not.. but since he's been the GM we haven't seen an opportunity like that rise. And if the situation/deal is right, I'm sure Masai would be in conversations. After all he was involved in the Howard deal and no one saw that coming.

Comment

Just listened to it.

Beginning gave me flashbacks to BC but, as you said in bold, what else is he going to say?

Interesting bit on bruno: next year is his first year in our opinion.
                          BC loved to talk.. but he played a terrible hand of poker. Masai has a masterful poker face though.. you never know what he's thinking or is going to do. So I don't trust what he says. If the goal of his radio interview is to motivate his troops then cool.

If he actually believes the team is good and will keep Casey around, then I'll be in that crowd carrying one of them pitch forks.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
                            To be fair to Tim, he did mention that MU has a track record of doing small deals. Salmon trade for example, is a small move but a good one. It is like a small time stock broker making a good deal and making a few thousands out of it versus the big guys who make that amount in an hour ...
                            It was odd to leave out the Salmons deal because he talked about literally every single other move and non-move Masai has made in his career as a GM. If you're going to be that thorough, you shouldn't leave out one of his most recent deals, especially one that was such a good move.

Comment

Some of you are nuts.
                              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                              Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                                Some of you are nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X