X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano: "I thought our effort was good, I thought we played hard."

Link:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...NOPOST-1287600

Is he serious when he says this or is he lying to himself? Sorta like being in denial.

It was obvious that the defensive effort was lacking. I think he's just saying this to make it look like he still gets this team to play hard when that has actually happened about 25% of the time this year. If this constitutes a good effort, then we're in a very sad state. It also means that he doesn't convey to his players that they need to increase their defensive effort. Bargnani, Calderon and Belinelli were our three worst defenders on the night and Triano doesn't have a problem with that?!

We got blown out in a must-win game at home. Note, we didn't just lose, we got blown out. This wasn't even close.

He must have been watching Turk, and only Turk.

Side note, I said that Turk cannot make a huge turnaround just out of nowhere. After tonight's performance, he has officially made me look stupid. Wish he started doing that 10-15 games ago.

Comment

That man, the one with the clipboard, he looks so lost

Jay must be in total denial. Sometimes when listing to him talk I feel like someone from the front office is talking to the media and not the actual coach of the team. Such a "yes man" it makes me sick.

You can't expect your team to play hard and compete when they look back and see their coach with his tail tucked between his legs.

Long rebuilding process and it starts with the guy holding the clipboard and then we can see where we can go from there.

At least we get to keep our pick.

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
        He must have been watching Turk, and only Turk.

Side note, I said that Turk cannot make a huge turnaround just out of nowhere. After tonight's performance, he has officially made me look stupid. Wish he started doing that 10-15 games ago.
        19 boards is beastly
        9 assists is nice
        6 points not so good
        not so good at all
        i'd trade those 19 boards for 19 points any time of the day
        sorry this is not a huge turnaround

Comment

That has been sort of a pat response from JT thruout the year.

What really gets to me is that when he says something like this there is not one scribe in attendance who challenges him. DAntoni in NY with a crappier team has been called out on his coaching and statements by beat reporters.

Comment

I've said this before tough in another thread. It isn't really a problem of "effort." It is a problem of team suckage. The Raptors try a million different things to slow down an opponent, but they do them all 'suckily.' How can you give effort when you don;t know if you are hedging, switiching, fighting or ducking under? This combination of players and coaching staff just have no rhythm together.

The whole team rarely ever seems on the same page defensively. I'd like to put it squarely on Triano's shoulders, but Iavaroni needs to take the blame too. The Raptors think way too much on defence...they over think it, because they have no idea what is going on.

When that happens, "effort" translates into fouls. You try to keep your man in front of you - if you don't know what your teammates are doing, you end up having to give a foul. No one knows what they hell they are doing on defence. No defensive instincts have been cultivated on this team. It is at the point where you can put five individually good defenders on the floor, and still fuck up the defence. That is how bad it is.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
              19 boards is beastly
              9 assists is nice
              6 points not so good
              not so good at all
              I completely agree Turk may have had a good night on the boards, but as like every game he's played this season. His horrible man defence, bad shot selection, and complete lack of understanding team defence. Cost us big time. Not once or twice a game , but every single time someone on the other team drives to the bucket Hedo believes by leaving the their best shooter on the perimiter while he helps the already two or three Raptor defenders in the paint, by running toward the ball carrier and stopping about half way allowing the guy to blow right by or kick it to Hedo's open man. Resulting in three pointer after three pointer. Also if he does decide to challange the short lay up attempt he's so soft with his hands that the play will almost always result in an and 1.
              I know Hedo's not the only one. Jose does the same thing except he will allow his man to beat him off the dribble, fly right by and expect that the post players will stop him. Well as you may notice our interior D is really really bad. And all of this could be have been rectified if Triano could have prepaired his team to deal with these in inefficiencies.
              During training camp the main objective of the team was to play solid D, they worked on D the most out of all training camp there goal was to become one of the best defensive teams in the league. LOL LOL They're being pegged as one of the worst in history.
              Now does this problem mostly fall on the coaches for not prepairing the team better or is it the players for not caring about hustling to carry out the defencive schemes?
              Last edited by Hellgate; Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

A coach that does not hold his players accountable for his performance is a coach that has lost his players. Sure you need to give them the opportunity to play, but you also need to be responsible for calling them out when they fail to produce. How many times has Triano said "played hard/good effort" in these blowouts? Its mind boggling how he's still coaching.

Comment

Its amazing what words of a football coach almost 10 years ago can be summed up perfectly to this team performance against the Bulls as opposed to Jay Triano who sugercoat everything to ad nauseum.

Here is the honest truth about the Raptors game:

Don't hold back Mora please tell us how the Raptors did in the second half?!

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
                    19 boards is beastly
                    9 assists is nice
                    6 points not so good
                    not so good at all
                    Alright, well considering that he has been playing extremely passively for the better part of the season, I will gladly take 19 boards, 9 assists, and a poor shooting night along with a HUGE turnaround in terms of effort. Would it be nice for him to put it all together? Definitely. But you can't scoff at his effort tonight. I was primarily talking about Hedo's turnaround in terms of effort, since this thread was about JT talking about guys' effort.

Comment

Ya know, of the many woeful aspects of this shit-fest of a season since the All Star break, hearing Jay Triano say YET AGAIN last night that he thought the ‘effort was good’ and that ‘they played hard’ is to me, the most galling of them all, by far.

I cannot for the life of me, figure out what is up with this guy who is so obviously NOT head coach material, it’s actually staggering. But ... if he’s not a comPLETEly stupid know-nothing-about-basketball kind of guy -- and at this point, it’d be hard to argue that he’s not -- what can he be thinking to verbalize such a mountainous load of bullshit, with a straight face, yet? He had to have seen what we all saw out there ... didn’t he?

As much as I have a difficult time grasping the notion that a team can collectively allow themselves to lose important games -- tank, in other words -- I’ve gotta wonder if that might really be what this organization actually wants? ‘Cause nothing else is making sense to me about all this. Nothing at all.

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
                        Alright, well considering that he has been playing extremely passively for the better part of the season, I will gladly take 19 boards, 9 assists, and a poor shooting night along with a HUGE turnaround in terms of effort. Would it be nice for him to put it all together? Definitely. But you can't scoff at his effort tonight. I was primarily talking about Hedo's turnaround in terms of effort, since this thread was about JT talking about guys' effort.

So I'm just wondering aloud what the hell was wrong with Turkoglu this year, all year, if he turned it around effort-wise tonight, but as we all saw could not sustain that effort into the 4th quarter. I remember at the start of the year we were all told it would take a while to get him into game-shape because he skipped pre-season due to his busy summer sched and needing rest etc etc.. So why now in the 3rd last game of the season is he completely gassed at that point in a game due to giving a full effort? Is that somehow supposed to be reasonable? This is after having a damn easy ride all year playing no defense and only 30min/game. Orlando really did a hell of a job covering up all his shortcomings over the past few years I guess by having a better team around him.

I'd also like to thank Hotshot for the Mora clips, very fitting. UGH!

Comment

Love the effort Jarrett Jack always displays after a lot of his teammates have apparently given up also. If I had to judge just by watching, which I do, I would say he definitely cares the most about pride, and winning. Marco Belinelli? I know Don Nelson has a lot of haters but I think he knew that this guy does not belong in the NBA. Almost ANYONE and I mean ANYONE will sink a few open threes if given the chance in the NBA, and can run around 6 feet outside the 3-pt line before pulling up for an outrageously long 3 and maybe make one or two of them. Problem is the very first time he throws up a shot like that he should be removed from the game. The guy plays the same position as Kobe, D-Wade, ELITE shooting guards with unreal athletic ability. See his lay-up attempt last night that he air-balled? Honestly, enough said.
                          Last edited by DoubleR_T; Mon Apr 12, 2010, 09:46 AM. Reason: rage, frustration, RAPTORS

Comment

I've said it since the pre-season - Jay Triano is not an NBA caliber head coach and he is absolutely the wrong coach for a team with no internal leadership.

Instead of going off after a crushing defeat, his press conference was embarassing. It showed a coach who lacks the confidence you need to lead an NBA team.

Even my 75 year old mother said, "that man doesn't seem to have much self-confidence. He's staring at the floor and mumbling"....

Yup, that's the Raptors soon to be ex-head coach who's bumbling will result in the Raptors losing their superstar in July.

Comment

It seems that some of the people here just comment because they have to say something, i dont think these people even saw the past games. Youd rather take 19 points over 19 rebounds? Are you crazy? the main problems of the Raps the whole season are rebounding and defense. Points are easy for them (when they put in effort and take quality shots). You know how hard it is to get rebounds? Even in NBA live ive only managed to get double digit rebounds about 5 times in a full season, and you think Turk's 19 rebounds is something to sneeze at? Common people, he got 19 off the NBA's best rebounding team. The opportunities were there for Bargs, Calderon, Bellinelli to score the basket while Turk was busy rebounding. Even if we dont make the playoffs, this is a very positive sign. Turk showed he still has it in him to scrap, now the problem is, you have to make him feel like every game is the most impt game of the season to get 19 rebs off of him again.

Jay's clearly being controlled by someone else in the main office. Sam was fired because he wouldnt give Bargs the chance to develop and this didnt go well with BC. Thats why no matter how bad Bargs screws up, Jay doesnt do anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X