Game #74: Houston Rockets 96 - Toronto Raptors 99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit wrote: View Post
    I just wanted to comment on the fact that for two games in a row now we've posted up Jonas on the left block and actually ran a pretty nice play on the right wing for an open 3 point shot from Ross. And it was a pretty nice pass by Jonas.

I MEAN WE ACTUALLY INTENTIONALLY RAN OFF BALL MOVEMENT WITH MISDIRECTION AND EVERYTHING FOR OUR BIG TO MAKE A PLAY WHEN HE HAD THE FULL ATTENTION OF THE DEFENSE.

The defense was completely caught off guard by that, and it was really nice. Jonas has had a few plays run through him last couple games, and when the defense didn't collapse on him he made a move and scored. I mean it actually had a semblance of an inside/outside as well as a Big/Big game...

As a side note, I've mentioned it before and I really believe it, Ross and JV play really well together. They look for each other and read each other quite well.
    I saw that - that was a great cross court pass from JV - one-handed and partially over his shoulder to a wide open Ross. That's the future, man. That's so much better than jacking up contested 18 footers after dribbling in three circles.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      I saw that - that was a great cross court pass from JV - one-handed and partially over his shoulder to a wide open Ross. That's the future, man. That's so much better than jacking up contested 18 footers after dribbling in three circles.
      I just really, really hope it is the future. There's so much potential there. I almost forgot that it could be a thing

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        Demar had a pretty great Month of March .. in my opinion ..

23.9 points on 43.8% Shooting; 45% from 3; 8 FTAs per; 6 rebounds; 4 assists. That's pretty special Month for ANY player.
        I wonder if he could be potentially Eastern conference player of the month? Those are good numbers.

DeMar showed us this month exactly what we can get from him when he's allowing others to be involved, he's taking smarter shots, and when he's given the opportunity to facilitate the offense and be a playmaker.

Hate it took so long for this DeMar to show up, but we have 8 games in the month of April to continue with this style of play going into the playoffs. Its clear GV can't facilitate our offense, so we'll need someone else besides Lowry to step up in this department.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          I know...it's why I'm liking Leo more and more these days (which makes me feel kind of dirty...and not in a good way). He keeps harping about involving Jonas. Not just to look to score, but because it'll both engage him more in the game, and bring a great dynamic to our offence that can really open things up. It's about time they put a bit of motion in there to open up passing options, too.

Jonas' poor assist numbers come up from time to time, but the eye-test suggests it has nothing to do with him being an unwilling or bad passer. Is he Sabonis or Divac out there? Nah...but he doesn't have to be. He's shown solid work out of the post, and even decent high-low passing. He's a decently skilled passer for a big. Nothing special, but good enough hands, and he's showing increased patience as he watches the play develop to find an open man.

*Sidenote: Is it just me, or is Leo not only getting less annoying as he's being more honestly critical, but Jack is also becoming less of a 'straight-talker'? He's doing more of the pandering and excuse-making that was always a reason I couldn't stand Leo.
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Mar 31, 2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I just wanted to comment on the fact that for two games in a row now we've posted up Jonas on the left block and actually ran a pretty nice play on the right wing for an open 3 point shot from Ross. And it was a pretty nice pass by Jonas.

I MEAN WE ACTUALLY INTENTIONALLY RAN OFF BALL MOVEMENT WITH MISDIRECTION AND EVERYTHING FOR OUR BIG TO MAKE A PLAY WHEN HE HAD THE FULL ATTENTION OF THE DEFENSE.

The defense was completely caught off guard by that, and it was really nice. Jonas has had a few plays run through him last couple games, and when the defense didn't collapse on him he made a move and scored. I mean it actually had a semblance of an inside/outside as well as a Big/Big game...

As a side note, I've mentioned it before and I really believe it, Ross and JV play really well together. They look for each other and read each other quite well.
            DC had three days to read through suggestions of posters on this forum.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I know...it's why I'm liking Leo more and more these days (which makes me feel kind of dirty...and not in a good way). He keeps harping about involving Jonas. Not just to look to score, but because it'll both engage him more in the game, and bring a great dynamic to our offence that can really open things up. It's about time they put a bit of motion in there to open up passing options, too.

Jonas' poor assist numbers come up from time to time, but the eye-test suggests it has nothing to do with him being an unwilling or bad passer. Is he Sabonis or Divac out there? Nah...but he doesn't have to be. He's shown solid work out of the post, and even decent high-low passing. He's a decently skilled passer for a big. Nothing special, but good enough hands, and he's showing increased patience as he watches the play develop to find an open man.
              I know what you mean, He was going off 5 or so games back about badly we need to involve all of our bigs in our offense beyond screens and post ups.. I had this really quick thought "Would Leo make a decent coach?"

I had a cold shower after the game

Comment

• Am i the only who likes Lou playing PG? honestly he looks MUCH better playing the point tham GV.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                  Am i the only who likes Lou playing PG? honestly he looks MUCH better playing the point tham GV.
                  I've been saying for a few weeks now I would like to see GV get a couple DNP - CD, let Lou run point and give JJ more minutes...

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    When did Lowry play his best basketball this season? Without DeRozan.

When has DeRozan been playing his basketball this season? Predominantly without Lowry.

What has been the predominant style of play been with that back court together? ISO and my-turn-your-turn.

A few good games from DeRozan doesn't change the numerous flaws with this team and certainly doesn't rectify his inconsistency.

The logic is quite simple: sell on an asset high to make the team better short term and long term....assuming he has positive trade value.
                    DeRozan's "few good games" is definitely an understatement ... He's been solid for the entire month

Not too sure why you pick on him about his inconsistencies, when Lowry has been pretty inconsistent himself since February and you have nothing to say about it

Also, I'm confused as to how one can "sell high" on a player that only makes $10 mil a year, we wouldn't be getting much back in return for him

Comment

I've been saying for a few weeks now I would like to see GV get a couple DNP - CD, let Lou run point and give JJ more minutes...
                      I'm assuming you mean when Lowry is back? We can't afford to have GV not play, we don't have any other point guard. And who even knows when Lowry's gonna return. We gotta just stick with what we're running and continue to limit GV's minutes. You know you're not playing well when even DC benches you in the 4th against the Lakers despite you being Casey's favourite position, a guard.

Comment

This was something that I took notice of post Gay trade. They really have strong chemistry (you just don't get to see it very often).
                        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• DDelight wrote: View Post
                          I'm assuming you mean when Lowry is back? We can't afford to have GV not play, we don't have any other point guard. And who even knows when Lowry's gonna return. We gotta just stick with what we're running and continue to limit GV's minutes. You know you're not playing well when even DC benches you in the 4th against the Lakers despite you being Casey's favourite position, a guard.
                          Nope, would like to see lowry start and have Lou come in to take all of GV's minutes. As long as you run him alongside of either JJ/DD you have some playmaking on the wing. You can run some post action like they did last night, you can have Ross attack in transition. Even if you have PP out there you have another willing and smart passer.

Lots of good ball movers on this team you dont always need a dedicated PG, which I can barely consider GV anyways since he basically plays like a worse lou these days. If you run Lowry for 35 a game you only got 13 minutes without a dedicated point guard.

Hell let DD try it for the rest. Just get GV out of the rotation to see what happens

Comment

• DDelight wrote: View Post
                            I wonder if he could be potentially Eastern conference player of the month? Those are good numbers.

DeMar showed us this month exactly what we can get from him when he's allowing others to be involved, he's taking smarter shots, and when he's given the opportunity to facilitate the offense and be a playmaker.

Hate it took so long for this DeMar to show up, but we have 8 games in the month of April to continue with this style of play going into the playoffs. Its clear GV can't facilitate our offense, so we'll need someone else besides Lowry to step up in this department.
                            Vasquez can't do anything, we seriously need a more reliable backup PG than him
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Nope, would like to see lowry start and have Lou come in to take all of GV's minutes. As long as you run him alongside of either JJ/DD you have some playmaking on the wing. You can run some post action like they did last night, you can have Ross attack in transition. Even if you have PP out there you have another willing and smart passer.

Lots of good ball movers on this team you dont always need a dedicated PG, which I can barely consider GV anyways since he basically plays like a worse lou these days. If you run Lowry for 35 a game you only got 13 minutes without a dedicated point guard.

Hell let DD try it for the rest. Just get GV out of the rotation to see what happens
                              I'd be happy to run Chuck Hayes at the point over GV. Let Hayes do the "Barkley back-down" to get the ball over half.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                I'd be happy to run Chuck Hayes at the point over GV. Let Hayes do the "Barkley back-down" to get the ball over half.
                                I wouldn't object, hell I'd pay to see a game where chuck runs the point. He has quicker feet than GV so it would be an upgrade there. Plus we all know he can hit those running 15 foot daggers with sick efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                                X