Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: They Say They Care But They Don't

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    They had a bunch of young athletic guys who had potential to play good D but were still learning. They also made trades, moved guys in and out. I don't think its a fair comparison. Westbrook has physical gifts that Calderon or Jack can only dream of. Hedo isn't willing even if he's able. Bargnani is a wild card... If the light stops going out he could be a good defender. Either way, I don't think the Thunder is the correct answer to the question.
    Its just not in his nature. He will be a fringe starter in this league at best. Or maybe he's just going to go back to Italy. I can see us trading him for an expiring or some picks, and him ending up as a cap buster for some poor sucker.

Post Thanks / Like

He's not going anywhere since he just signed a five year, $50M deal. If you slide him to the 4 I have him better than Mbah a Moute, Jianlian, Tolliver, Diaw, Gibson, Gallinari, Landry, and Oberto at the least. He posting 17PPG shooting 47% as a face up long range shooter with 6 rebounds and a block and a half. Something tells me there are a lot of teams who would buy into a 24 year old seven footer who can do that.
    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Apr 12th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    They had a bunch of young athletic guys who had potential to play good D but were still learning. They also made trades, moved guys in and out. I don't think its a fair comparison. Westbrook has physical gifts that Calderon or Jack can only dream of. Hedo isn't willing even if he's able. Bargnani is a wild card... If the light stops going out he could be a good defender. Either way, I don't think the Thunder is the correct answer to the question.
    If OKC is not the correct answer, then how about the Bucks? Or any other team that Scott Skiles coached, for that matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    If OKC is not the correct answer, then how about the Bucks? Or any other team that Scott Skiles coached, for that matter?
    In the past year they added the following significant players: Kurt Thomas, Brandon Jennings
    Carlos Delfino and Jerry Stackhouse. I'm not sure they fit the bill. Would they be playing great right now had they not acquired the guys they brought in excluding Jennnings who was drafted? Who knows but the team isn't the answer to the question in my mind.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    Scott Skiles is an incredible defensive coach who gets far more out of his players defensively than one would expect. If he joined the Raptors, I would expect them to become an average or slightly above average defensive team.

Bargnani would either learn how to play better defense or be dropped from the starting lineup in favour of Amir Johnson.

Not many Scott Skiles knocking around though.

Edit: Milwaukee's situation is somewhat of an outlier. You can't expect that type of improvement to happen in Toronto without an experienced proven defensive minded head coach arriving. Not just someone good either, that coach needs to be exceptional.

Most of Milwaukee's improvement defensively is down to coaching. The rest is the addition of Mbah a Moute. Skiles turned them from the worst defensive team in the league to a 5th-7th place defensive team in one summer. Absolutely incredible achievement.

I believe the biggest impact a coach can have on a team is on the defensive side of the ball. Finding a coach who can do that brings great rewards for a team.
    Last edited by Dave; Tue Apr 13th, 2010 at 12:44 AM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

if bosh leaves is it a good idea to think about boozer or zach randolph (yes... i said it :P )? or is it impossible...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information