Kelly: Raptors fans need to find a balance on their emotional see-saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly: Raptors fans need to find a balance on their emotional see-saw

Toronto Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri formally addresses his team three times a year. The start of the season, the eve of the playoffs and when it’s all over.

He’s two weeks from delivering his next message. What will it be?

“I don’t know yet,” Ujiri says, sitting in his office at 50 Bay St.
    “We believe in them. We honestly believe in them. Even in the down times. When we’re losing games …” – Ujiri goes through the first names of every one of his regulars – “… they’re hurting. That’s a good start. That’s a really good start.”

Before it all gets frantic, this might be the time to consider that that’s the key word when it comes to the Toronto Raptors – “start.” The past two years have been the beginning of something.
    “As a city, as a country, we have to learn how to win, too,” Ujiri says. “I know [the fans] are starved for something. I understand that. But be a fan of the game, be a fan of the team and the culture, and grow with it. Don’t put it up at a level it’s not …” – Ujiri indicates a point high above his head – “and don’t kill us at a level it’s also not …” – and Ujiri holds his hand down to the floor.

The atmosphere that emotional see-saw creates may be unmatched in the NBA. After a game in Toronto this year, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich found Ujiri and told him, “I hope you understand how special this is. Enjoy it.”

It’s good advice for the rest of us as well, because history suggests getting beyond the current stage is going to take a while. The arc of the NBA is long, and it often bends away from success.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle23756362/

Don't tell me how to cheer muthafuckas!!!!

oh dear, I'm so sorry. I get a little emotional with the Raptors.

.....But don't tell me how to cheer you sonsofbeeotches!!!!

Ooops, I did it again.

Comment

Nice article and good advice. Sooooo easy to shoot way way up and then just crash.

Comment

Emotional see-saw = passion
        Emotional Balance = apathy

Pop nails it, as usual. This is special. Cathal Kelly flubs it, as usual.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Don't tell me how to cheer muthafuckas!!!!

oh dear, I'm so sorry. I get a little emotional with the Raptors.

.....But don't tell me how to cheer you sonsofbeeotches!!!!

Ooops, I did it again.
          This post made me happy. Then upset. Then happy again.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

My expectations were in check.. but when the Raptors play bad basketball, they play "BAAAAADDDDD" basketball. Just fugly. And that is what gets me upset. I have no problems if they lose but are playing the right way. And this fugly basketball is what lead to the #FireCasey tirade.

When a team is young and is just developing prospects, the bad basketball is taken with a grain of salt because everyone is basically new to the game.. but when you have a team of veterans that don't know how to play its irritating.

The Triano era was hard to watch and there were veterans, but I could put the blame squarely on Bargnani's shoulders because he was the worst basketball player ever, and I'm not exaggerating. Hard to put the blame on a single player this time around, but there is definitely blame to be had even if this team is winning more then losing.

Comment

But see-saws are fun. Ask any three year old.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

This sounds to me like an executive preemptively trying to manage expectations in advance of disappointment.

Also, "there is no way to learn how to win, but to win", "when we're losing... they're hurting, that's a good start", "if guys go out and fight...", sounds like he thinks that talent is less of an issue than motivation. Which combined with his comments about the "real" Raptors team being the one from earlier in the season makes me question whether he is just bs-ing the media or if he is overrating the talent on this team.

If we lose I doubt it'll be because our guys "didn't want it enough."

Comment

^ Basically, he's not expecting the team to do much in the playoffs.
                  "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Toronto fans of any sport tend toward an intelligent appreciation of the game. It's not just a reason for a tailgate party. We love our sports.

Comment

Glad to see Masai still believes in what's getting done. It's process we haven't gotten there yet. Patience people.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Glad to see Masai still believes in what's getting done. It's process we haven't gotten there yet. Patience people.
                        Wrong

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                          Wrong
                          Did Masai tell you differently?
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Did Masai tell you differently?
                            His comments are right up there with the trade deadline comments of, "we are confident in this roster and don't feel the need to make a trade." (Paraphrased)

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
                              Toronto fans of any sport tend toward an intelligent appreciation of the game. It's not just a reason for a tailgate party. We love our sports.
                              Still doesn't explain Leaf Fans for me. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X