"Get UP, bird!" - It continues to live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Get UP, bird!" - It continues to live

TORONTO — As Jonas Valanciunas prepared for the tip-off against Houston’s Joey Dorsey on Monday evening, four of his teammates stood up at the far corner by the Toronto Raptors’ bench. James Johnson, Patrick Patterson, Greg Stiemsma and Landry Fields were all out of their seats, arms outstretched.

Channeling their avian instincts, they then began moving their arms up and down, as if they were flapping. This was nothing new.
    Rewind more than five years to Chris Bosh’s final season on the Raptors. (Do not feel bad if you have blocked most of that season out of your memory, save for some unintentional comedy from Hedo Turkoglu. It was a painful one.) Journeyman wing Antoine Wright played 67 games for that team, including 10 starts. An even less noteworthy footnote to Wright’s Raptors career: He became known for hollering “Get up, bird” whenever the team charter took off, willing the airplane to work as designed.

For some reason, that phrase has stuck around the Raptors all these years later, even though DeRozan and Amir Johnson are the only commonalities that link that year’s roster and this season’s team.
    The saying has made its way into the mouth of Valanciunas. Before every game, as part of his pre-game routine, Amir Johnson jumps up to hang on the rim, swinging back and forth. That is when Valanciunas shouts the line. The Raptors decided to repurpose it for arguably the least consequential moment of any given game.

“It has to do with the tip,” Fields said. “During the season, we’d been losing some tips. That’s not a huge thing for the course of the ball game. But, whatever: It’s just starting off on the right foot.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...n-the-outfield

Ahhhhhh Antoine Wright.... The good ol' days. It was always easier being a Raptors fan when they sucked.... who knew?

I just wanted to see if I could change my font colour like you.

Comment

I thought I would try it as well, and also give this thread some legs.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Ahhhhhh Antoine Wright.... The good ol' days. It was always easier being a Raptors fan when they sucked.... who knew?
        forgot that Antoine Wright played here, let alone started 10 games. haha

Comment

Patterson always has an intense look on his face. But I've never seen him more focused than while flapping his wings....

Comment

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Instead of the pink font we should use /s at the end, that way you don't realize it's sarcasm until the end.

I think Casey's ability to stay ahead of the opponent with in-game rotation changes is what will propel the Raptors to victory /s
              Last edited by Letter N; Thu Apr 2, 2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Itd be kind of awesome if this became a thing now until the end of the season. The raptors need a rallying cry, like the headbands during the VC playoff run.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  Itd be kind of awesome if this became a thing now until the end of the season. The raptors need a rallying cry, like the headbands during the VC playoff run.
                  Weren't the headbands some sort of silent protest against the coaches?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Weren't the headbands some sort of silent protest against the coaches?
                    http://www.nba.com/playoffs2001/feat...ms_010504.html

Raptors forward Jerome Williams, one of our NBA.commentators for NBA Playoffs 2001, answered questions from fans immediately following the Raptors' Game 5 victory over the Knicks. Toronto won the Eastern Conference first-round series against New York 3-2

Hey dude, what's with the headbands? From the moment I saw it on TV I thought "JYD planned this". Was it really you who came up with the idea or what? Maybe the Leafs should start wearing headbands as well.
                    Marko
                    Toronto, Ontario

Williams: I think we just needed a little something extra, to really just motivate this team, to have togetherness and for everybody to show support for one another. The headbands brought us all together.

I was in on the planning, but I have to give it up to Chris Childs and Keon Clark who also had their hands in it.

Comment

Time for the Raptors to honour Antoine Wright.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

I like to imagine Antoine Wright sitting somewhere around the world after a basketball practice for a C grade team reading that article and smiling that he actually had a lasting impact in the NBA.

Comment

Working...
                        X