JV is the most disappointing player of 2014/15 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV is the most disappointing player of 2014/15 season

The starters named him as one of the most disappointing players of 2014/15. I know a lot of it has to do with coaching but...this kinda goes against the beliefs of a lot of posters here.

Looks like people outside the raptors blame JV a lot for the teams lacklustre play lately.

Skip to about 13 minutes if you don't wanna watch the whole thing
    Last edited by yabadabayolo; Sat Apr 4, 2015, 10:55 AM.
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    [video=youtube;yXQtuPCfr-E]
    The starters named him as one of the most disappointing players of 2014/15. I know a lot of it has to do with coaching but...this kinda goes against the beliefs of a lot of posters here.

Looks like people outside the raptors blame JV a lot for the teams lacklustre play lately.

It has been a disappointing season. Surprisingly, telling a guy to get bigger to play in the post, and then rarely using him in the post while asking him to play a defensive role that's only successfully filled by Tyson Chandler, is a recipe for poor results.

People who watch games at a superficial level see JV getting scored over or around all the time but dont realize that he's basically defending a 2 on 1 inside our key on about 12 posessions per game and you can't really win on a play like that. Can't remember ever seeing such a poor perimeter defending team, and not just PnR.

No question he can improve a lot and currently doesn't fit the system at all which exacerbates his problems. But for me, the system is garbage, so that's what needs to change first. For MU and the (please god) new coach, they need to decide what kind of player they want, because it will need to be reflected in his offseason training, whether they want him to be as big as he is now or to be more quick and agile but less strong.
    Last edited by KHD; Sat Apr 4, 2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Well, they do mention that the problem isn't all on JV and that coaching comes into play.

For me he's had a good season considering the way he's been used. Also they've been looking to get him more involved now, so hopefully that continues into next year. We'll probably see a bigger statistical jump by then.
      OG is our king

Comment

LOL wut? Ross has been wayyyyy more disappointing than JV. Did they forget about Lance Stephenson?
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Improving post game.
          Improved efficiency.
          Becoming a better rebounder.
          Becoming a better rim protector.
          Becoming a better defender.

All while minutes are down in 3rd season over year 2.

Disappointment depends on your expectations.

I am not sure there is a worse coach who JV could be playing for right now in terms of his own personal development. I am also not sure there is a worse perimeter group who he could be playing with right now in terms of constantly leaving him looking like a chump for their lack of defensive ability - but more likely commitment.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            Improving post game.
            Improved efficiency.

I am not sure there is a worse coach who JV could be playing for right now in terms of his own personal development. I am also not sure there is a worse perimeter group who he could be playing with right now in terms of constantly leaving him looking like a chump for their lack of defensive ability - but more likely commitment.
            agreed. I say disappointment strictly in the sense that it's disappointing to see the misuse.

Comment

@OP....nope a 100 times...Ross & GV were on this team.

Comment

Improving post game.
                Improved efficiency.

Nope, JV is a scrub

It's not like any other team would want him lool
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Improving post game.
                  Improved efficiency.

Those two are debatable.
                  "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Gooood... keep dropping his value... extend him for 7 mil. Have the best contract in the NBA when he comes around as the star center he is.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

skeets is obviously a raptors fan so hes not just looking at stats when talking about JV.

i think the argument about the coach and blaming surrounding players could be used for ANY 'disappointing' player and is a total copout to excuse his generally good but mostly mediocre play this year.

terrence ross has obviously dropped off way more, but JV really hasn't gotten any better. whenever he does his hook shot it just looks like hes blindly tossing it in the air. still looks way too mechanical in movement and no fluidity whatsoever.

love the kid. but expecting more.

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                        Those two are debatable.
                        I'd say rebounding is debatable. In terms of defence, rim protection is miles better - this is based on both eye test and stats. Now, defending p'n'r is trickier to say. He seems to get burned a lot, but without knowing exactly what the scheme says he should be doing, it's impossible to know to which degree he's at fault. This much though, isn't debatable: the smalls most often involved in p'n'r with JV - KL, GV, DD, LW - have played average to poor defence, in every respect, throughout the season. Some people, for reasons unknown, eliminate this from the equation when discussing JV's p'n'r coverage, but hey, it's a free country. (Until Harper gets elected for a second term lol.) (Actually not really lol )
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                          skeets is obviously a raptors fan so hes not just looking at stats when talking about JV.

i think the argument about the coach and blaming surrounding players could be used for ANY 'disappointing' player and is a total copout to excuse his generally good but mostly mediocre play this year.

terrence ross has obviously dropped off way more, but JV really hasn't gotten any better. whenever he does his hook shot it just looks like hes blindly tossing it in the air. still looks way too mechanical in movement and no fluidity whatsoever.

love the kid. but expecting more.
                          But it's effective. How it looks doesn't matter.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post

Don't have time to watch the whole clip maybe i'll watch it later. But anyways, calling JV one of the most disappointing players of 2014/15 is ridiculous. Well, unless you have sky high expectations. I don't.

Bold part - THat i agree with. I mentioned this during the Wolves game the other day, Raps were very sluggish to start that game. Casey took JV out mid 1st and all of a sudden the defence and the energy picked up/got so much better. Same thing happened last night. Defence + energy was non existent in the 1st. Once Casey took JV out everythng changed defensively. Night and day difference.

When you're a SLOW guy like JV. You have to pick up your intensity and play with more energy. Also, you have to go GET the rebounds. Jack Armstrong mentioned this during the game several times. I mean, Brook freakin Lopez out hustled JV on the boards all game.

Fire away!
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRoss has been infinitely more disappointing. But perhaps JV is more "disappointing" because more was expected? Who knows .. but I'm not overly disappointed with JVs season or Progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X