Everybody relax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everybody relax

Yes, that second game against Washington was terrible. I don't think anybody would say otherwise. But at this point half this forum is in FIRE ERRBODY mode and seriously, guys - it's not remotely close to being that bad.

Let's all remember the following things:

1. Kyle Lowry is almost certainly playing through injuries at this point. That isn't an excuse for his poor play in this series, because he's clearly inside his own head right now and he's getting upset when he gets a stupid bullshit foul early (it's happened once in each game so far and it's been Bradley Beal each time), and it's not like Lowry doesn't get bullshit fouls a lot so he should be used to it. But screaming that Lowry is "toxic" when this team is one that by all accounts genuinely loves one another? That's silly. Saying that he's selfish when he averaged nearly seven assists per game in the regular season is nuts. Saying that he doesn't care when he was averaging personal bests in practically every stat earlier this season makes no sense.

2. Accusing DeMar DeRozan of not having a work ethic or not being mentally tough is ridiculous. That's the furthest thing from his problem. DeMar's problem is that he's a solid third starter at best and being asked to be a star player, and that's always been his problem. Which is not so much "his" problem as it is the team's, but I digress.

3. Amir probably needs six months off from playing to properly rehab his ankles. He can't afford to take that time off since it would essentially mean missing out on his one final chance to get a decent NBA payday. But his mediocre play of late is not because he is a bad player. He is a very injured player. There is a big difference.

4. Jonas is playing much better than anybody is giving him credit for. He's an excellent rebounder, a very good scorer and if he was playing in a coherent defensive scheme his defensive issues would be minimal at worst. If he was getting touches commensurate with his scoring ability he'd be a consistent 20-10 guy.

5. 2Pat is a fine stretch four off the bench. Criticisms of his play seem to boil down to: he's not a starter. But we're not playing him as a starter! That's why he's not getting starter money! He's getting talented bench guy money!

6. Finally, although both of these losses to the Wizards look terrible, it is worth pointing out that in both losses the Wizards went on insane runs that were not entirely the Raptors' fault. In this most recent game the Wizards' third-quarter run was produced by practically the entire team shooting well above-average on threes, many of which were reasonably contested. Drew Gooden hit a contested three, for crissake. Which is to say: statistical flukes such as that can happen.

None of this is to say that none of these players (to say nothing of the rest of the squad) are untradeable. But it is worth remembering that together they have managed 49 wins and that, with essentially no offensive system worth mentioning beyond reliance on individual talent in one-on-one ball, they had the third-best offense in the entire league. This is not a total shitbox of a team. This is a team with a reasonable amount of talent but one that does not have a true star player and one that, we can finally say with some universal agreement, simply does not have a coach who can execute modern NBA strategies.

So stop panicking.

This post sounds too rational at a time like this...

Comment

It's not panicking, it's the damn truth!
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
        Yes, that second game against Washington was terrible. I don't think anybody would say otherwise. But at this point half this forum is in FIRE ERRBODY mode and seriously, guys - it's not remotely close to being that bad.

Let's all remember the following things:

1. Kyle Lowry is almost certainly playing through injuries at this point. That isn't an excuse for his poor play in this series, because he's clearly inside his own head right now and he's getting upset when he gets a stupid bullshit foul early (it's happened once in each game so far and it's been Bradley Beal each time), and it's not like Lowry doesn't get bullshit fouls a lot so he should be used to it. But screaming that Lowry is "toxic" when this team is one that by all accounts genuinely loves one another? That's silly. Saying that he's selfish when he averaged nearly seven assists per game in the regular season is nuts. Saying that he doesn't care when he was averaging personal bests in practically every stat earlier this season makes no sense.

2. Accusing DeMar DeRozan of not having a work ethic or not being mentally tough is ridiculous. That's the furthest thing from his problem. DeMar's problem is that he's a solid third starter at best and being asked to be a star player, and that's always been his problem. Which is not so much "his" problem as it is the team's, but I digress.

3. Amir probably needs six months off from playing to properly rehab his ankles. He can't afford to take that time off since it would essentially mean missing out on his one final chance to get a decent NBA payday. But his mediocre play of late is not because he is a bad player. He is a very injured player. There is a big difference.

4. Jonas is playing much better than anybody is giving him credit for. He's an excellent rebounder, a very good scorer and if he was playing in a coherent defensive scheme his defensive issues would be minimal at worst. If he was getting touches commensurate with his scoring ability he'd be a consistent 20-10 guy.

5. 2Pat is a fine stretch four off the bench. Criticisms of his play seem to boil down to: he's not a starter. But we're not playing him as a starter! That's why he's not getting starter money! He's getting talented bench guy money!

6. Finally, although both of these losses to the Wizards look terrible, it is worth pointing out that in both losses the Wizards went on insane runs that were not entirely the Raptors' fault. In this most recent game the Wizards' third-quarter run was produced by practically the entire team shooting well above-average on threes, many of which were reasonably contested. Drew Gooden hit a contested three, for crissake. Which is to say: statistical flukes such as that can happen.

None of this is to say that none of these players (to say nothing of the rest of the squad) are untradeable. But it is worth remembering that together they have managed 49 wins and that, with essentially no offensive system worth mentioning beyond reliance on individual talent in one-on-one ball, they had the third-best offense in the entire league. This is not a total shitbox of a team. This is a team with a reasonable amount of talent but one that does not have a true star player and one that, we can finally say with some universal agreement, simply does not have a coach who can execute modern NBA strategies.

So stop panicking.
        Not gonna lie. This actually helped.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Relax everyone, we are going to be the first ever team to come back from 0-3 and win the series

Comment

no, revamp this team and fire the coach.

Comment

I'm not sure why the hysteria.

There have been posters forecasting the future all season....and here we are.

This is not about 2 games.

This is about a season of shitty basketball that just so happened to start at 24-7.

They are since 25-26 and once into the playoffs all their flaws are being exposed.

It was never sustainable.

Cash your chips in Masai and build a proper team.

Comment

Fire Casey and I will be happy for a few weeks.
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Comment

i'm not mad, if we lose the serious this will guarantee us of firing Casey once and for all, hopefully we can also get rid of this core of DD and Lowry. There's no way you can win a championship with a team full of iso-chucker mentality.

Comment

Bigozzy wrote: View Post
                      i'm not mad, if we lose the serious this will guarantee us of firing Casey once and for all, hopefully we can also get rid of this core of DD and Lowry. There's no way you can win a championship with a team full of iso-chucker mentality.
                      again, relying on assumptions.

Comment

Magoon why do the players have more of a sense of urgency than the fans? The truth is painful. This series is over. We never had a chance. 20 years and we have
                        NEVER won a 7 game playoff series.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                          Fire Casey and I will be happy for a few weeks.
                          My Sentiments exactly..really sick of looking at his FACE. Relax..nah,they're getting punked by Wizards,lol..common,wtf is this. Beal & Wall are laughing and Pierce pretty much was right,they don't have "IT" Raptors what we thought they were,u crowd them and they run away..
                          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

OP, I agree with some of your points, and I wasn't on the forum tonight, so I don't know how crazy it got, but frankly people have been telling us to relax ever since the preseason, when there were troubling signs emerging. And as those signs got worse, people said, big deal, we're going to break our record for wins. "Just enjoy the best Raptors season ever."

And now for the second season in a row, we're on the verge of getting bounced by a lower seed. (Only 3 teams have come back from being down 0-2 at home.)

Valid criticism isn't panicking. And if the preseason wasn't the time to criticize, and the regular season wasn't the time to criticize, and the playoffs isn't the time to criticize... when exactly are we supposed to criticize this team?

All season those of us who argued for more development for our young players were told that we shouldn't worry about that, the focus is to win now. Well, that meaningless Atlantic division banner is looking really great now.

There's a big difference between pessimism and realism. And the unfortunate reality is that we squandered a year under the leadership of an incompetent coach while allowing several assets to depreciate.

As for this argument:
                            I will never understand the "their shots were falling" argument. The nature of basketball is to prevent their shots from falling. Just as saying "our shots weren't falling" is similarly fallacious. Ultimately only 30 of their 117 points were off of 3s. They still shot 32 of 58 from 2 point land (55%). They still outrebounded us by 17 rebounds. They still had 7 more assists than us.

Saying it's not entirely the Raptors' fault is just glossing over our very real flaws.

I agree that we should not be calling Lowry toxic or questioning DeMar's work ethic. But it's just as silly to say that everything is going to be all right, when clearly this roster is nowhere near championship contention and large questions loom over our future.

Comment

Pretty good day last night.. Raptors got embarrassed and I got on a NHL bad beat in Canucks matchup. Just relax y'all, take it easy.

Oh and... shit is going down right now. Why now? Raptors been playing terrible for good couple months, so..

Comment

Working...
                              X