No announcement yet.

What our GM needs to really Reevaluate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyways, setting aside Masai, do you guys think firing Casey is enough this season?

How big a change do we need to make rosterwise? Do we spend capspace on bringing back Amir and Lou or do we go elephant hunting?

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Anyways, setting aside Masai, do you guys think firing Casey is enough this season?

How big a change do we need to make rosterwise? Do we spend capspace on bringing back Amir and Lou or do we go elephant hunting?
      I see no point of bringing the whole gang back, which means that about 1/3 of the roster (Amir, Lou, Hansbrough, Fields, Stiemsma and Hayes are all expiring) will have to be remade. An upgrade at the starting PF position is an absolute necessity, and is one that MU was talking about as early as last offseason. Amir was always a borderline starter, but the wear-and-tear on his body and wonky ankles have brought an end to his days as a starting PF. If Lou wants the full MLE or more, then let him walk. Amir and Lou alone would be 2 of the primary 8-man rotation changed.

I think the only big decisions that need to be made are around DeRozan and Lowry.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

It's elephant hunting season, isn't it? Especially given the fairly obvious ceiling of the current group. Tinkering gets them next to nowhere, so, it's either full-on rebuild, try to add another Lowry-like piece to the current core, or go all-in for a #1 guy and try to keep enough of your talent intact to contend.

Personally, I am not onboard with a full on rebuild/tank. If they go that route, I don't plan on paying much attention until it's over in 4-5 years.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          It's elephant hunting season, isn't it? Especially given the fairly obvious ceiling of the current group. Tinkering gets them next to nowhere, so, it's either full-on rebuild, try to add another Lowry-like piece to the current core, or go all-in for a #1 guy and try to keep enough of your talent intact to contend.

Personally, I am not onboard with a full on rebuild/tank. If they go that route, I don't plan on paying much attention until it's over in 4-5 years.
          Definitely time for some big decisions to be made, was ok with MU standing around last year but that's not gonna work after this season

Comment

Bandit wrote: View Post
            Definitely time for some big decisions to be made, was ok with MU standing around last year but that's not gonna work after this season
            After this team's performance after their hot start, culminating in their playoff showing, I would sincerely hope that the 'evaluation period' has concluded; for the players and coaching staff. With 6/15 contracts expiring, the team's ceiling apparently being a first round exit, 'star' players plateauing, the development of young players appearing less than impressive, and the proverbial treadmill looming large, I hope significant changes are around the corner.

MU, your time is now.

Comment

There are two options as far as I see it. I don't see them going the tanking route at this point.

1) Go all in on the core of KL, DD and JV. Let Amir and Lou (and everyone else) walk. Trade GV, Ross and a future pick (Knicks 2016) for a starting PF. Sign Middleton to a max deal at SF. Draft a third PG, find a vet PG for the Room MLE to play backup, with the draftee maybe growing into the role. Sign a vet min guy to play backup C (Hayes?), though you probably run a 3 big rotation for the most part). Get a new coach, probably an established vet like Thibs if he is available, or throw a bank at JVG.

That leaves a lineup of:
              KL, backup, rook
              DD, Middleton, vet min
              Middleton, JJ, Bruno
              Starting PF, PP, JJ
              JV, BeBe, Vet min

2) Blow it up, rebuild on the fly. Keep Ross, JV, Bruno, BeBe, PP, JJ. Move DD and Lowry in separate deals for young talent at any position (we'll assume 2 through 4 as teams are usually hesitant to move talent at the 1 or 5). GV could be included as salary ballast, or dumped for a second rounder to a team needing a backup PG. This could free up a lot more cap space. Make the same offer to Middleton. Sign a young PF (Tristan Thompson?). Go after Cory Joseph as your starting PG (he's one of the best defenders in the game at that spot). Draft BPA (my preference would be George Lucas). Basically go all in on defence first players.

That means a lineup of:
              Joseph, Lucas, vet min
              Ross, Young SG from Lowry deal, vet min
              Middleton, JJ, Bruno
              Thompson, PP, Young PF from DD deal
              JV, BeBe, vet min

Obviously I've put in specific examples of a more general idea, but you get the gist.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                There are two options as far as I see it. I don't see them going the tanking route at this point.

1) Go all in on the core of KL, DD and JV. Let Amir and Lou (and everyone else) walk. Trade GV, Ross and a future pick (Knicks 2016) for a starting PF. Sign Middleton to a max deal at SF. Draft a third PG, find a vet PG for the Room MLE to play backup, with the draftee maybe growing into the role. Sign a vet min guy to play backup C (Hayes?), though you probably run a 3 big rotation for the most part). Get a new coach, probably an established vet like Thibs if he is available, or throw a bank at JVG.

That leaves a lineup of:
                KL, backup, rook
                DD, Middleton, vet min
                Middleton, JJ, Bruno
                Starting PF, PP, JJ
                JV, BeBe, Vet min

2) Blow it up, rebuild on the fly. Keep Ross, JV, Bruno, BeBe, PP, JJ. Move DD and Lowry in separate deals for young talent at any position (we'll assume 2 through 4 as teams are usually hesitant to move talent at the 1 or 5). GV could be included as salary ballast, or dumped for a second rounder to a team needing a backup PG. This could free up a lot more cap space. Make the same offer to Middleton. Sign a young PF (Tristan Thompson?). Go after Cory Joseph as your starting PG (he's one of the best defenders in the game at that spot). Draft BPA (my preference would be George Lucas). Basically go all in on defence first players.

That means a lineup of:
                Joseph, Lucas, vet min
                Middleton, JJ, Bruno
                JV, BeBe, vet min

Obviously I've put in specific examples of a more general idea, but you get the gist.
                Option 2 is probably the better long term. Option 1 is better short term.

I would take Option 2 every time. Drafting lengthy, skilled players and putting them through proper development will beat out the whole pounding the rock thing that is KL+DD...

*I love Middleton, but realistically he isn't leaving Milwaukee (especially for the Raptors), so hinging our wing position and ability to compete on him coming as a a RFA is highly unlikely.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  Option 2 is probably the better long term. Option 1 is better short term.

I would take Option 2 every time. Drafting lengthy, skilled players and putting them through proper development will beat out the whole pounding the rock thing that is KL+DD...

*I love Middleton, but realistically he isn't leaving Milwaukee (especially for the Raptors), so hinging our wing position and ability to compete on him coming as a a RFA is highly unlikely.
                  If you offer him a max contract, maybe he does. I don't know how much money Milwaukee will be willing to give him.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If you offer him a max contract, maybe he does. I don't know how much money Milwaukee will be willing to give him.
                    A max deal right now won't handi-cap them so they can easily do it and afford to pay Jabari and Giannis under the new TV deal in the future. MCW may have to take a pay cut but it's doubtful he ever turns into a max contract PG anyways.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      A max deal right now won't handi-cap them so they can easily do it and afford to pay Jabari and Giannis under the new TV deal in the future. MCW may have to take a pay cut but it's doubtful he ever turns into a max contract PG anyways.
                      Can do it and will do it can be pretty far apart for small market teams.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                        Stop blaming MU. He reisgned casey after a great season, every GM would.

MU is great at trading and im sur ehe will once again and his best move will be firing CASEY after this series

what do u expect, MU to fire casey during the playoffs

YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN A COACH because of a GREAT SEASON.
                        You resign a coach because YOU BELIEVE HE IS THE GUY you Trust NOW and in the FUTURE.
                        Win or Lose, If you DO NOT believe the coach is THE guy, you must fire him regardless of results.

MU obviously believed that Casey was THAT GUY for the franchise ; the guy to take this team to NEW LEVEL OF SUSTAINED SUCCESS.
                        Because MU said a million times that he doesn't care about WHAT PEOPLE THINKS OR WHAT'S POPULAR, he would not have resign Casey just for Public Opinion.

Comment

This thread has gotten all kinds of crazy. Middleton a max player?? No way. Despite the cap rise you gotta be smart with your assets and spending the max for KRIS MIDDLETON is not smart asset management. He's the type of guy you want to draft yourself and keep on the cheap.

That said, after this dumpster fire of a playoff series ends and Casey mercifully gets fired, what do people think about Scott Brooks??

He took some flack as coach of OKC but I think he'd be an improvement. Comes from a good program, experience coaching a headstrong PG (Westy) which would bode well for coaching Lowry. He's been to the finals, coached KD, apparantly a good player development coach.

I know we were 'contending' this year but I'm more than a little bit disappointed that Bruno and BeBe hardly saw the floor. I think that could have been handled better.

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
                            YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN A COACH because of a GREAT SEASON.
                            You resign a coach because YOU BELIEVE HE IS THE GUY you Trust NOW and in the FUTURE.
                            Win or Lose, If you DO NOT believe the coach is THE guy, you must fire him regardless of results.

MU obviously believed that Casey was THAT GUY for the franchise ; the guy to take this team to NEW LEVEL OF SUSTAINED SUCCESS.
                            Because MU said a million times that he doesn't care about WHAT PEOPLE THINKS OR WHAT'S POPULAR, he would not have resign Casey just for Public Opinion.
                            I don't know man.....

If MU really saw Casey as a long term coach why did he sign him to a 2 year contract with a team option for year 3?

Why not give him a 4yr contract or something similar?
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

That leaves a lineup of:
                              KL, backup, rook
                              DD, Middleton, vet min
                              Middleton, JJ, Bruno
                              Starting PF, PP, JJ
                              JV, BeBe, Vet min

That means a lineup of:
                              Joseph, Lucas, vet min
                              Middleton, JJ, Bruno
                              JV, BeBe, vet min

Why are the options a) all in on the current core or b) blow it all up? Personally, I think that the best option is to blow it up, but couldn't you trade one of DD/KL to remain competitive in the short term while developing young talent? This seems kinda appealing because it allows players a chance to develop in meaningful games?

Is it just because you don't want to turn into the pre-2015 Hawks; a mediocre team which is consistently competing for the 8 seed?

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                                Re-signing Lowry was a no-brainer, The Gay trade was a no-brainer, any GM would have done those moves.
                                Portland fired 2 gms 2 years in a row, look at them now.
                                Lol you mean also being down 0-2 and Aldridge is considering leaving? Yeah great comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X