No announcement yet.

Playoff failure: Will this define DD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what you guys are talking about. He's probably been the best player the last two games.

He's averaging 17.5 6.5 7.5 albeit on 40% shooting. But that's not bad considering our fg as a team is 43%...

Even though his shots aren't falling he's still REBOUNDING and sharing the rock when the defence focusing on him. Plus he's trying harder than anyone else out there. Look at his body language compared to a guy like Lou. Because he's absolutely shit the bed so far
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Honest question, not meant to be directed just at you, which I'm curious about:

After getting the red-carpet treatment throughout his tenure, especially during the DC era where he's always been at least option #1b with a constant green-light and no accountability, how do you think DeRozan would respond to a new coach coming in and 'putting him in his place' (for lack of a better term)?

DeRozan achieved 'all star status' and has long been the face of the franchise, so I worry about how he would respond, especially in light of his opt-out [and an assumed big payday, likely the biggest of his career] coming up after next season. If I was MU, that uncertainty would be causing a constant dull buzzing in the back of my brain for the next year, despite how great a solider DD has been for the Raptors and how great a citizen he's been for MLSE.
      Yup you never know, but if they flip one of Lowry or DD for other assets, isn't this a bigger risk with Lowry?

Honestly I could go either way - I much prefer Lowry when he's on his game, I think his position is more important to pair with JV, his leadership seems to have more of an impact, and he's got a penchant for making plays all over the floor (3's, steals, stops, drives, charges) that really swing the game. DD is more likely to end up with a nice stat line that doesn't seem to help produce a win - like the last few weeks of this season.

On the other side Lowry's last half a year was rough and I'm not sure he's matured so much as he was happy to be given free reign with the team. I could see him clashing with a new coach who was more demanding re: style of play. DD is younger, healthier, and seems like a team-first guy who would benefit from a strong coach telling him what to do instead of letting him shoot whatever he wants. I'd be surprised if they brought in a new 1A guy and DeMar had trouble falling in line.

Maybe a good question is: who are they more likely to get a strong return on? One more year on DeMar would limit the return for him. Lowry's on about as reasonable a salary as you can get a current All-Star on, but a lot of teams are set at PG.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
        I don't know what you guys are talking about. He's probably been the best player the last two games.

He's averaging 17.5 6.5 7.5 albeit on 40% shooting. But that's not bad considering our fg as a team is 43%...

Even though his shots aren't falling he's still REBOUNDING and sharing the rock when the defence focusing on him. Plus he's trying harder than anyone else out there. Look at his body language compared to a guy like Lou. Because he's absolutely shit the bed so far
        Lou shits the bed in every playoffs
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Honestly from body language it looks like Demar is the only one trying and who actually wants to win

him and possibly GV

JV a little aswell

We need to get one Elite play(SF or PF). one Elite Vet (ex. Paul Piece) or two better then average VETS (VC & Parkings)

then we need either a pass first PG or a very god defensive PG.

we need trade lowry, ross and 2017 second to HOU for Beverly(S&T), Trevor Arieza, one of Jones or Motiejunas and protected first 2017
          And after trading we sign either Love/Milsap/Lamarcus

{Beverly}/ Vaquez
          DeRozan/ {VC}
          {Arieza}/ JJ
          (E-PF)/ {TJ or DM}
          JV/ (Parkins)

and we'll still have 8M to spend, maybe trade GV a cheap combo guard vet (chuck hayes type role) and then sign a PG within 10m
          Last edited by Abbas; Fri Apr 24, 2015, 01:50 AM.
          Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
            I've seen nothing from DD that would suggest he would complain or be disgruntled if the Raptors got someone on the team who was obviously better than him. Quite the contrary, I think he would welcome it.
            I don't worry about how he would react to a better player, but I do worry how he would react to a tougher coach. I think that is what CRF was talking about too.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Cant wait to see him traded for multiple pieces that can grow together.

See lowry gone too.

Combined incoming should net a young potential wing/ pg and pf.

Comment

Bear wrote: View Post
                Cant wait to see him traded for multiple pieces that can grow together.

See lowry gone too.

Combined incoming should net a young potential wing/ pg and pf.
                So you want to tank ?
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                  So you want to tank ?
                  No, restructure with an eye 2 years out.

Give me younger players who fill roles that have potential and thatvteam will still make playiffs in the east.

Young pg good and getting into lane and p&r play
                  Young wings with talent needing minutes
                  Got a young center.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                    I don't worry about how he would react to a better player, but I do worry how he would react to a tougher coach. I think that is what CRF was talking about too.
                    I was actually considering both.

To Joey's point, I obviously agree that DeRozan would be thrilled by an influx of talent.

I was curious about how he would react to a diminished role, in terms of both leadership/status on the team and within the franchise/fan base, and in terms of responsibility/usage on the court. This season he averaged 35 MPG and 16.5 FGA (not counting shot attempts he was fouled on), with that increasing to 42 MPG and 19 FGA so far in the playoffs. If he was trimmed to around 32 MPG and 12 FGA, becoming a 2nd or 3rd fiddle, would he be satisfied?

Normally I wouldn't give it much thought because DeRozan has always been a good team guy. However, with him having an opt-out clause after next season, where he could be looking for the biggest payday of his career, I could understand him (and his agent) thinking a little more selfishly than usual - and rightfully so.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Apr 24, 2015, 10:04 AM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I was actually considering both.

To Joey's point, I obviously agree that DeRozan would be thrilled by an influx of talent.

I was curious about how he would react to a diminished role, in terms of both leadership/status on the team and within the franchise/fan base, and in terms of responsibility/usage on the court. This season he averaged 35 MPG and 16.5 FGA (not counting shot attempts he was fouled on), with that increasing to 42 MPG and 19 FGA so far in the playoffs. If he was trimmed to around 32 MPG and 12 FGA, becoming a 2nd or 3rd fiddle, would he be satisfied?

Normally I wouldn't give it much thought because DeRozan has always been a good team guy. However, with him having an opt-out clause after next season, where he could be looking for the biggest payday of his career, I could understand him (and his agent) thinking a little more selfishly than usual - and rightfully so.
                      Winning has a way of solving all of these issues, including getting players nice, new, big, fat contracts....

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        Yup you never know, but if they flip one of Lowry or DD for other assets, isn't this a bigger risk with Lowry?

Honestly I could go either way - I much prefer Lowry when he's on his game, I think his position is more important to pair with JV, his leadership seems to have more of an impact, and he's got a penchant for making plays all over the floor (3's, steals, stops, drives, charges) that really swing the game. DD is more likely to end up with a nice stat line that doesn't seem to help produce a win - like the last few weeks of this season.

On the other side Lowry's last half a year was rough and I'm not sure he's matured so much as he was happy to be given free reign with the team. I could see him clashing with a new coach who was more demanding re: style of play. DD is younger, healthier, and seems like a team-first guy who would benefit from a strong coach telling him what to do instead of letting him shoot whatever he wants. I'd be surprised if they brought in a new 1A guy and DeMar had trouble falling in line.

Maybe a good question is: who are they more likely to get a strong return on? One more year on DeMar would limit the return for him. Lowry's on about as reasonable a salary as you can get a current All-Star on, but a lot of teams are set at PG.
                        This is true. However, he's a score first point guard and lack playmaking ability ... Especially in the p&r

Comment

Bourgozie wrote: View Post
                          This is true. However, he's a score first point guard and lack playmaking ability ... Especially in the p&r
                          We haven't seen a Raptors PG consistently hit the rolling big since Calderon left. The bigs don't even roll to the basket most of the time anymore. There's no point. The team should probably stop calling it the "pick and roll," actually. Maybe the "pick and dribble dribble dribble shoot" would be better.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                            We haven't seen a Raptors PG consistently hit the rolling big since Calderon left. The bigs don't even roll to the basket most of the time anymore. There's no point. The team should probably stop calling it the "pick and roll," actually. Maybe the "pick and dribble dribble dribble shoot" would be better.
                            Yeah and this is the exact reason Washington is shutting down our perimeter players because they rarely even look to pass after the screen.
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Regarding you thread title, DD is just 1 man. It's a TEAM failure and not one player. DD will still be as good as he is or better. This more defines the coach than the players because they do what the coaches draw up. We need to stop that ISO thinking. It's on every player, with regards to the outcome, and the coaches.
                              The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                              Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                              www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                              http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
                                Regarding you thread title, DD is just 1 man. It's a TEAM failure and not one player. DD will still be as good as he is or better. This more defines the coach than the players because they do what the coaches draw up. We need to stop that ISO thinking. It's on every player, with regards to the outcome, and the coaches.
                                The more you get paid/will get paid, the more responsibility you have. This series is much more damning for Lowry, Demar, Jonas and Lou than it is for Greivis, PPat, Ross and Amir.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X