Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who's available and who should we target?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a second-rounder, KJ McDaniels would have the potential for the same sort of contract that Fields and Asik got, right? Except that it's going to be harder to leverage that since the cap increase next year will make the big third year hit that teams normally have to take not so big. (Infact, it's possible that one of the reasons Philly was so willing to trade McDaniels is because they were worried about being forced to overpay for him this offseason).
    Given that Morey was one of the first to exploit this loophole, there's no doubt he's considered the implications before trading for McDaniels. Nonetheless, I wonder if there's the potential there to exploit the situation.

Comment

Pong wrote: View Post
      Yea that's true, it's tough to justify that salary based on his performance.

If we ignore whoever is coaching Raps and look only at player talent, Monroe (UFA), Tristan Thompson (RFA), Thomas Robinson (UFA), Seraphin (UFA), or Millsap (UFA) are good big men targets. Monroe, TT and Robinson solves our rebounding issues. Seraphin is an under the radar guy since he's playing behind gortat and nene.

As for wings, Wes Matthews (UFA), Middleton (RFA) and KJ McDaniels (RFA) would be good targets. Wes Matthews was having a career year before the serious injury. If he can get over it and return to normal, he could be a bargain since his price tag may be a bit lower now than pre injury. He's a solid 2 way player and one of the best 3pt shooters in the league. KJ is a raw, wing defender who is capable of hitting the 3, but his athleticism + blocking ability makes him a good prospect and would definitely up the entertainment factor in games.
      Not a big fan of Monroe. He'd be a star 15-20 years ago, but his game is too slow, with no D at all.

TT isn't going to be worth the salary he wants, I think. Based on the extension he turned down, he's going to be overpaid.

T-Rob would be worth a cheap flier, but then we will likely be competing with a dozen other teams trying same thing.

Seraphin is an option I would definitely explore.

Don't see Milsap leaving Atlanta to come here.

Mathews isn't likely going anywhere. Portland needs him, unless they lose Aldridge (to Spurs is a rumour) and blow up the team. If Portland does that, still think Mathews ends up on either being overpaid on a bad team or takes less to sign with a good team (Clippers or something).

Middleton and McDaniels are definitely options. Middleton gets a lot of chatter around here, and I generally agree that only way he comes here is for max money.

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
      DerMarre Carroll would be a good SF target as well, would he not?
      Like Carroll, unsure if he leaves Atlanta though. He's in a good place and our playoff flame out doesn't help us recruit.

Bourgozie wrote: View Post
      I love Beverley, we need a gritty defensive guy like that on our team. He also bring a lot of energy
      Beverley gets hurt a lot. He has a lot of Lowry like qualities, but don't see the two co-existing. If we are moving Lowry, we need someone younger and with higher upside than Bev.

TRex wrote: View Post
      I said this after last season ended and i'm going to say it again. Trade for VINCE CARTER. He's exctly like Paul Pierce. Veteran player, leader, big shot maker and most importantly just like Pierce, Vince has that "it" factor.
      VC is a min player at best. Not sure how this moves the needle except in media/fan coverage.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
        As a second-rounder, KJ McDaniels would have the potential for the same sort of contract that Fields and Asik got, right? Except that it's going to be harder to leverage that since the cap increase next year will make the big third year hit that teams normally have to take not so big. (Infact, it's possible that one of the reasons Philly was so willing to trade McDaniels is because they were worried about being forced to overpay for him this offseason).
        Given that Morey was one of the first to exploit this loophole, there's no doubt he's considered the implications before trading for McDaniels. Nonetheless, I wonder if there's the potential there to exploit the situation.
        I just don't see KJ getting any sort of significant burn on Houston when they have harden, brewer, ariza and the rookie nick johnson.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          Not a big fan of Monroe. He'd be a star 15-20 years ago, but his game is too slow, with no D at all.

TT isn't going to be worth the salary he wants, I think. Based on the extension he turned down, he's going to be overpaid.

T-Rob would be worth a cheap flier, but then we will likely be competing with a dozen other teams trying same thing.

Mathews isn't likely going anywhere. Portland needs him, unless they lose Aldridge (to Spurs is a rumour) and blow up the team. If Portland does that, still think Mathews ends up on either being overpaid on a bad team or takes less to sign with a good team (Clippers or something).

Middleton and McDaniels are definitely options. Middleton gets a lot of chatter around here, and I generally agree that only way he comes here is for max money.

Like Carroll, unsure if he leaves Atlanta though. He's in a good place and our playoff flame out doesn't help us recruit.

Beverley gets hurt a lot. He has a lot of Lowry like qualities, but don't see the two co-existing. If we are moving Lowry, we need someone younger and with higher upside than Bev.

VC is a min player at best. Not sure how this moves the needle except in media/fan coverage.
          I was only saying i lik him as a backup PG, not as a starter.

And tangibly, sure him and lowry are siilar. But Beverley is a far superior on-ball defender, and he's a very consistent 3-point shooter.

But as I said, I'd want him as a backup/energy guy off the bench.

I think he would be a fan favorite here

Comment

Bourgozie wrote: View Post
            I was only saying i lik him as a backup PG, not as a starter.

And tangibly, sure him and lowry are siilar. But Beverley is a far superior on-ball defender, and he's a very consistent 3-point shooter.

But as I said, I'd want him as a backup/energy guy off the bench.

I think he would be a fan favorite here
            So who would they co-exist? Bev going from a starter on the Rockets to a back-up on the Raps? Don't see that flying for him.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I could be wrong but TT turning down the extension wasn't a money issue, but because he felt shafted when Cavs brought in Love. He wants a bigger role and Cavs won't be the team to provide that. Unless Love wants to opt out of cavs.. But since the cavs want him around in his marginal role and he's only a RFA, it may be tough to pry him away at a reasonable price.

Comment

Pong wrote: View Post
                I could be wrong but TT turning down the extension wasn't a money issue, but because he felt shafted when Cavs brought in Love. He wants a bigger role and Cavs won't be the team to provide that. Unless Love wants to opt out of cavs.. But since the cavs want him around in his marginal role and he's only a RFA, it may be tough to pry him away at a reasonable price.
                $12M-$15M for TT? I wouldn't.

http://factoryofsadness.co/2015/04/2...his-offseason/

Comment

I read somewhere where Atlanta doesn't have the full bird-rights for Carroll, and I think they can only offer him up to 5.7Mil, Millsap is their highest priority and will get maxed out, no question.

Comment

VC can still play. He was HUGE for the Mavs last season specially in the playoffs. I think they miss him this year actually. This year for the Grizzlies, he's in and out of the lineup mainly because of injuries.

And again, the Raps need a veteran player like a Paul Pierce. VC is that. I really believe he's a perfect fit here.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Backup C - Either play Bebe or aquire a legit 7foot backup

Starting SF/PF- Ross and Amir cannot be starters in this league. Amir is expiring. Ross is well..... Ross

Bench perimeter defender- Keep 1 of Lou or Vasquez. The other guard must be able to play defensive

Something like

Lowry-DD-Carroll-Portis-JV
                      Vasquez-Beverly-JJ--Patterson-Koufous
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

VC can still play. He was HUGE for the Mavs last season specially in the playoffs. I think they miss him this year actually. This year for the Grizzlies, he's in and out of the lineup mainly because of injuries.

And again, the Raps need a veteran player like a Paul Pierce. VC is that. I really believe he's a perfect fit here.
                        For the current roster, perhaps. But can't see Carter helping if the roster is stripped.

Comment

Yea, if that is the case then no. I just can't believe Cavs are willing to do so given the role they have him play on the team.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            For the current roster, perhaps. But can't see Carter helping if the roster is stripped.
                            That's true. But i can't see Masai blowing this thing up. Specially with the all-star game coming up.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

How about a guy who has a ring then? I brought up Tyson Chandler yesterday.

Comment

I know it sounds treadmill.. but I'd go after Jimmy Butler. He's only 25 but most importantly he's known for his defense. Pay the max to get him of course.. but hope he wants to stay in the East.

Trade DD for him so that Chicago says yes. Not sure why he'd want to come to this team though. Unless we can nab Thibs as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X