Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly does a Masai Ujiri team look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit wrote: View Post
    I think that you're completely correct on the front that every GM is looking for that, but I think every GM has things they hold slightly higher than others. For example, BC held Bargs in high regards because he hit on the points that BC thought was important. MU held onto McGee because he hit on the points that he thought were important. I don't think MU would've held onto Bargs and I don't think BC would've held onto McGee.
    I think you're overemphasizing Masai's love for McGee. He traded for McGee and then re-signed him to a contract which most people admitted at the time was a gamble, but it was a gamble not because of McGee's natural abilities (which are insane and always have been) but because McGee is basketball-stupid. Masai was betting that McGee could be taught how to become a highly productive center, and if you look at the 2012-13 season - the first McGee had after his contract - he seemed to be at least partially on his way to becoming that. Then Masai left and Karl got fired and McGee got injured and it all went to pot.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
      I think you're overemphasizing Masai's love for McGee. He traded for McGee and then re-signed him to a contract which most people admitted at the time was a gamble, but it was a gamble not because of McGee's natural abilities (which are insane and always have been) but because McGee is basketball-stupid. Masai was betting that McGee could be taught how to become a highly productive center, and if you look at the 2012-13 season - the first McGee had after his contract - he seemed to be at least partially on his way to becoming that. Then Masai left and Karl got fired and McGee got injured and it all went to pot.
      Like you said he gambled on him because of those attributes, other gms wouldn't have because they value other things slightly higher.

Bc gambled that bargs would start caring because bargs had what he valued and that made it a worthy gamble.

I'm not saying I agree or not with the move or that it was good/bad. I'm simply saying that because he made that gamble we can infer McGee had something he values

Comment

A Masai Ujiri Team:

Right now Masai Ujiri team looks like a Bryan Colangelo team that's been suped up via trades when high value trades have presented themselves.

No one knows what a prototypical "Masai Ujiri team" looks like because the man doesn't have enough history in Denver or Toronto to nail that one down; he wasn't finished in Denver and he's only really getting started in Toronto.

Comment

The only definitive thing I've heard, straight from MU's mouth (sorry no links), is that he likes to stack each position 3-deep with young players filling the 3rd string spots (Bebe, Bruno and potentially Daniels definitely fit the bill). He did this in Denver (Hamilton, Stone, Fournier, etc...) and has already started doing the same in Toronto.

Beyond that, I agree that it's hard to draw conclusions yet, since the MU Nuggets and MU Raptors were/are both works in progress.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Right now Masai Ujiri team looks like a Bryan Colangelo team that's been suped up via trades when high value trades have presented themselves.

No one knows what a prototypical "Masai Ujiri team" looks like because the man doesn't have enough history in Denver or Toronto to nail that one down; he wasn't finished in Denver and he's only really getting started in Toronto.
            I thought I covered that in original post.

What do you think a MU team looks like?

Feel free to dig through old articles to substantiate any claims. When I have time I intend to do so. The only thing I think is conclusive is length and athleticism are very desirable attributes.
            I am asking what people think.

Comment

From what I am seeing after the 2014 draft, at least it is supposed to have a lot of wing-span? He got Fournier as well.... I really think Ujiri sticks to his strengths, he picks out the talents as a scout and tells any coach he gets "here's a player, fit him in your system....". He will draft or trade a talent and place it on a coach's lap.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                The only definitive thing I've heard, straight from MU's mouth (sorry no links), is that he likes to stack each position 3-deep with young players filling the 3rd string spots (Bebe, Bruno and potentially Daniels definitely fit the bill). He did this in Denver (Hamilton, Stone, Fournier, etc...) and has already started doing the same in Toronto.

Beyond that, I agree that it's hard to draw conclusions yet, since the MU Nuggets and MU Raptors were/are both works in progress.
                Nicely observed. Karl at least gave those players a chance. I want to jump the gun and already blame Casey on not giving minutes to the Rookies. Even if John Gibbons is not a decent manager, he's on the right boat as AA to play DEVON TRAVIS, NORRIS, SANCHEZ, OSUNA, and CASTRO in real-time games

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                  Nicely observed. Karl at least gave those players a chance. I want to jump the gun and already blame Casey on not giving minutes to the Rookies. Even if John Gibbons is not a decent manager, he's on the right boat as AA to play DEVON TRAVIS, NORRIS, SANCHEZ, OSUNA, and CASTRO in real-time games
                  What does Menudo have to do with basketball?

PS - Baseball is not something I can get into.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

A good time to bump this thread.

Looking at the guys MU has brought in and kept, I think we're seeing some of these qualities:

1) Toughness.
                    2) Two-Way Player.
                    3) Winning (e.g. WS/48.)
                    4) Wingspan. lol.

T-Ross' extension is a bit of a head-scratcher, though.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

In a strange way I think that this extension gives us more flexibility. In the sense that if we have the possibility to get a star via free agency, we'll find a way to trade contracts because there will be a taker for the Patterson's and the Ross'.

There is more chance that we don't have the possibility to get a star via free agency, so we now have more salaries to work with for trades.

There is still also chances that Ross get to the level of play of his contract.

So in the end I really don't think this is that much of a bad thing.

Comment

Looking at the guys MU has brought in and kept, I think we're seeing some of these qualities:

1) Toughness.
                        2) Two-Way Player.
                        3) Winning (e.g. WS/48.)
                        4) Wingspan. lol.

Masai's always been about asset retention, and has shown a willingness to move someone he's signed the moment it's becomes advantageous. Given Ross' youth, shooting and tantalizing scoring abilities, he'll be a good trade chip to have. I'll bet the Clippers would bite, hehe.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

If Demar leaves TRoss becomes the starter. He's an insurance policy for Demar. It might not work out but they won't going into the season without a SG possibly overpaying in free agency. If Demar Re-sign then either can be moved eventually depending on Powell and who they draft.

Comment

1) Toughness.
                            2) Two-Way Player.
                            3) Winning (e.g. WS/48.)
                            4) Wingspan. lol.

Sounds like a Dwane Casey team to me. Toughness and defence.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                              Sounds like a Dwane Casey team to me. Toughness and defence.
                              Greivis Vasquez guarding Tyreke Evans to close out a game, when you have JJ. Patrick Patterson as your big man, when you have JV or even Hansbro. Yep. Sounds like a Dwane Casey "toughness & defense" team to me.

Or maybe, like an Andy Greer / Thibs team?

Comment

Greivis Vasquez guarding Tyreke Evans to close out a game, when you have JJ. Patrick Patterson as your big man, when you have JV or even Hansbro. Yep. Sounds like a Dwane Casey "toughness & defense" team to me.

Or maybe, like an Andy Greer / Thibs team?
                                Defensive coaches don't finish 20th in DRtg twice in 4 years. With his best DRtg coming without training camp because of strike, trading for all new players who are clueless about his scheme and in a year when they got an actual defensive coach

Comment

Working...
                                X