Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NBPA Awards - New Awards Ceremony Voted on by Players, for Players.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBPA Awards - New Awards Ceremony Voted on by Players, for Players.

The National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) confirmed today that they will launch the first annual Basketball Players Awards in Las Vegas this July. In the time honored tradition of identifying excellence through peer review forged by The Emmy Awards, The Grammy Awards and The Academy Awards, the Basketball Players Awards are voted on by the league's active players. Voting has been underway for several weeks.

"We as players want the opportunity to recognize our peers," said Carmelo Anthony. "We are making that happen with our own award show."

Basketball Players Awards will be presented for the following categories:

* Most Valuable Player
    * Best Rookie
    * Man of the Year
    * Best Defender
    * Global Impact Player
    * Hardest to Guard
    * Clutch Performer
    * Coach You Would Want to Play For
    * Best Home Court Advantage
    * Player You Secretly Wish Was on Your Team

Source
    I think this is kinda cool! Will be interesting to see if the Players votes are any different than the leagues votes.

Wonder what "Man of the Year" is all about ...

Joey wrote: View Post
    Wonder what "Man of the Year" is all about ...
    Ask Lou

Comment

Player you secretly wish was on your team:

Paul Pierce

shhhhhh, don't tell anyone.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I loooooooove this idea. I really want to see what the players think about each other and to be able to compare it against what the media thinks. This'll show us how things look from the player perspective, which I bet will bust some myths. For example, what if the players voted a guy like Thibs for CoY? What would that do to this "hard ass who wears guys down" narrative that's becoming his unofficial reputation? What if the players vote a defensive guy as 6th man instead of a microwave scorer? etc. etc.

I really hope some awards get busted out of their ruts. They're really predictable.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I really like this idea, be interesting to see how things shape up.

Going to give us a really great inside look into how they see each other and themselves.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
            Player you secretly wish was on your team:

Paul Pierce

shhhhhh, don't tell anyone.
            Hey man he's got my vote, see my thread: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...524#post468524

Comment

Nominees are out. I've bolded my predictions of who I think will win, not necessarily my pick.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...wards-are-out/
              Nominees for first ever NBPA “Players Awards” are out
              Kurt Helin Jul 10, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
              13 Comments
              Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Five
              Getty Images
              Michele Roberts is giving the players what they want as the new executive director of the National Basketball Players Association (the NBA players’ union). She knows she needs their loyalty during the looming 2017 lockout, so she’s trying to build up good will now. She’s doing the little things that resonate with players. Like questioning why there are media in the locker rooms before games. Or pushing back against the owners on the age limit.

Or giving the players their own chance to vote on the big NBA awards (most postseason awards, such as MVP or Rookie of the Year, are voted on by the media).

The first ever “Players’ Awards” will take place July 19 at the Rio hotel in Las Vegas (and be broadcast on BET July 21). Every NBA player was given the opportunity to vote in a variety of categories, and Thursday the list of nominees was released.

Here they are:

Best Rookie
              Jordan Clarkson
              Zach LaVine
              Elfrid Payton
              Andrew Wiggins

Best Defender
              Tony Allen
              Jimmy Butler
              Anthony Davis
              DeAndre Jordan

Global Impact Player
              Pau Gasol
              Kyrie Irving
              Dirk Nowitzki
              Tony Parker

Clutch Performer:
              Stephen Curry
              James Harden
              LeBron James
              Russell Westbrook

Coach You Most Want to Play For
              Mike Budenholzer
              Rick Carlisle
              Steve Kerr
              Greg Popovich

Hardest to Guard
              Stephen Curry
              James Harden
              LeBron James
              Russell Westbrook

Best Home Court Advantage
              AT&T Center (San Antonio)
              Chesapeake Energy Arena (Oklahoma City)
              Moda Center (Portland)
              Oracle Arena (Golden State)

Player You Secretly Wish was On Your Team:
              Stephen Curry
              Anthony Davis
              Tim Duncan
              LeBron James

Most Valuable Player:
              Stephen Curry
              James Harden
              LeBron James
              Russell Westbrook

That list looks pretty similar to the media awards, upon first glance. Save for no Kawhi Leonard or Draymond Green as best defenders. Also, no LeBron James or Kobe Bryant in the category naming the players with the greatest global impact?

Whether you think these awards are more fair or accurate than the traditional media ones largely will depend on whether your guy wins in his category. For example, don’t be shocked if James Harden wins the Players Award MVP, so if you were a Harden guy you will think the players got it right after the media screwed it up.

I’ll just say this: Don’t think they are less biased than the media. Players have a lot of agendas — they will vote for guys with the same agent, AAU buddies, their friends, and on down the line. There is plenty of bias to go around.

Tags: Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Davis, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, DeAndre Jordan, Dirk Nowitzki, Draymond Green, Drew Wiggins, Elfrid Payton, Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets, James Harden, Jimmy Butler, Jordan Clarkson, Kawhi Leonard, Kobe Bryant, Kyrie Irving, LeBron James, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Pelicans, Oklahoma City Thunder, Orlando Magic, Pau Gasol, Russell Westbrook, San Antonio Spurs, Stephen Curry, Tim Duncan, Tony Allen, Tony Parker, Zach LaVine

Comment

My one gripe:

Allen being voted into consideration for best defender. But I get why he's in the discussion, as people always claim him to be the best defensive guard.
                Axel wrote:
                Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                KeonClark wrote:
                We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                KeonClark wrote:
                I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                  My one gripe:

Allen being voted into consideration for best defender. But I get why he's in the discussion, as people always claim him to be the best defensive guard.
                  lol, then what is the gripe?
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

MVP and Hardest to Guard have the exact same nominees. What happened to man of the year?
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X