2015 Raptors Offseason - Everything rumors, musings and rumblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I'm being facetious. Excepting me and maybe two others on here, the forum despises Casey at the moment. He is the root cause of all problems and simply replacing him with, insert name, fixes the problem and we move on to round two.

For me personally, the fact that Masai hasn't fired Casey and specifically sought out and acquired Casey like players shows he has the support of management. Everyone here loves Masai and his moves but somehow belief in his coach doesn't get the same reverence as his other moves.

I do think if Lowry had of been traded Casey would have been out the door, but he wasn't and neither was Casey fired. Now the gm and coach have a longer relationship and are clearly on the same page as far as roster building and style of play. Most people here have come to accept that Casey, barring some horrid start or non injury related slump is here until at least the end of the playoffs.

I agree with if we don't make it out of round one again, you have to look at a new coach and not just internal promotion. I, personal opinion, wouldn't get rid of a coach who for the most part been the most successful coach we have ever had. We have never been out of the second round as a franchise so to measure team success on conference finals or championships is a bit far stretched in my opinion.
    Well said
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Here's the thing. DD has always been capable of developing a consistent three pointer from the corners. But as you say, he wants to extend his range. That's why a third of his shots are from above the break, rather than the corners. Even though he shot TERRIBLY above the break.

Any development in skill he has made has, almost every year, been offset by a decrease in his quality of shot selection. Last year was the worst. The one year where he had even slightly acceptable shot selection was 2013-14 (since Bosh left) and surprise surprise that was his career year. Unfortunately last year was a massive regression to his usual chucking ways.

If DeMar can a) develop a consistent three pointer (unlikely, but even I have learned not to write off DeMar improving incrementally in any one area) AND b) improve upon his 2013-14 shot selection (and therefore vastly improve upon last year's), then he will have a career year and depending on to what extent he improves in each area he could actually be worth keeping at the price he will inevitably (whether he improves or not) demand.

My issue is that he has shown no sign that he can improve his range - even last year when he shot his best corner three percentage, he was abysmal above the break. And that he has shown very little sign, outside of one year, that he can demonstrate responsible control over his shot selection. And he very well could suddenly improve in both those areas. But I'm not going to get excited in the summer when we hear the same things we've always heard.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• It's hard for a player like DD to get many corner 3 opportunities. The offensive play book go through DD and when he's the primary ball handler or even the secondary ball handler, he's not going to be parked at the corner waiting for an opportunity to score.

If they swing the ball around and he moves to the corner, you'd hope the second guy that gets the ball swings it over to DD. That would mean trust in the secondary player to pass it out. Except if that secondary player is JV that's not happening as he's an atrocious passer.

Personally I'd love if DD shot more corner 3's but I don't think its going to happen as it would require a re haul in the offensive playbook. As far as I can tell Nurse and Casey will still be here next year. So that's doubtful.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
          Why is it so hard for some people to be positive?

Results you say? We have an All-star caliber player from a guy who only came into the league with athleticism.

He needed to improve in other areas at those times (handles, passing out of double teams, mid-range, drawing fouls, respectable defence, rebounding, etc.).

Now he just needs to improve his 3pt shot to a respectable percentage and he needs to improve his shot selection.

Improvements every year. I think people forget how much he's improved since he first came into the league.

You'd think by now people wouldn't bet against some improvement by Demar. There are plenty of examples of players improving their 3 point percentage well into their careers.

Demar's work ethic is so renowned, I wouldn't be surprised if he shot 35+ percent next season. All he really needs to do is take more corner 3s and less from the areas where his percentages are horrible. He really wants to extend his range this year. So, we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His game doesn't produce wins.

Not a fan of his game.

He isn't a winning player.

End of story.

But I do hope you're right.... I really do.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Here's the thing. DD has always been capable of developing a consistent three pointer from the corners. But as you say, he wants to extend his range. That's why a third of his shots are from above the break, rather than the corners. Even though he shot TERRIBLY above the break.

Any development in skill he has made has, almost every year, been offset by a decrease in his quality of shot selection. Last year was the worst. The one year where he had even slightly acceptable shot selection was 2013-14 (since Bosh left) and surprise surprise that was his career year. Unfortunately last year was a massive regression to his usual chucking ways.

If DeMar can a) develop a consistent three pointer (unlikely, but even I have learned not to write off DeMar improving incrementally in any one area) AND b) improve upon his 2013-14 shot selection (and therefore vastly improve upon last year's), then he will have a career year and depending on to what extent he improves in each area he could actually be worth keeping at the price he will inevitably (whether he improves or not) demand.

My issue is that he has shown no sign that he can improve his range - even last year when he shot his best corner three percentage, he was abysmal above the break. And that he has shown very little sign, outside of one year, that he can demonstrate responsible control over his shot selection. And he very well could suddenly improve in both those areas. But I'm not going to get excited in the summer when we hear the same things we've always heard.

Money shot.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post

Results you say? We have an All-star caliber player from a guy who only came into the league with athleticism.

He needed to improve in other areas at those times (handles, passing out of double teams, mid-range, drawing fouls, respectable defence, rebounding, etc.).

Now he just needs to improve his 3pt shot to a respectable percentage and he needs to improve his shot selection.

Improvements every year. I think people forget how much he's improved since he first came into the league.

You'd think by now people wouldn't bet against some improvement by Demar. There are plenty of examples of players improving their 3 point percentage well into their careers.

Demar's work ethic is so renowned, I wouldn't be surprised if he shot 35+ percent next season. All he really needs to do is take more corner 3s and less from the areas where his percentages are horrible. He really wants to extend his range this year. So, we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              lol. yeah, last years amazing .289 from 3 is clearly on the upwards trend of improving to .350 next season.

Comment

• I'm on board with the optimists. If Demar's 3pt % shoots up, his shot selection improves, he has a more equitable spot in the offense, and if the offense as a whole is completely different than last year, then I'll be happy and I guess that makes me a DeMar supporter? Give that man $25m!

As an aside, the more DeMar improves this year and the more he becomes "worth" his next $20m+ contract, the more suitors he'll have next summer.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• special1 wrote:
                  Years/decades of disappointment.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    I'm on board with the optimists. If Demar's 3pt % shoots up, his shot selection improves, he has a more equitable spot in the offense, and if the offense as a whole is completely different than last year, then I'll be happy and I guess that makes me a DeMar supporter? Give that man $25m!

As an aside, the more DeMar improves this year and the more he becomes "worth" his next $20m+ contract, the more suitors he'll have next summer.
                    so if he becomes a better shooter, and has a reduced role on offense than he currently has, meaning he will provide less offensively than he currently does, and maintains his subpar levels of defense you are willing to give him a raise of 3 times his current salary?

Comment

• Raps should trade for Bennett. Ross + JJ (plus the clips pick?) for him. make it happen.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• bring him home, MU.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          Raps should trade for Bennett. Ross + JJ (plus the clips pick?) for him. make it happen.
                          Really?????

Zero chance MU is gonna give all that for Bennet.
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                            so if he becomes a better shooter, and has a reduced role on offense than he currently has, meaning he will provide less offensively than he currently does, and maintains his subpar levels of defense you are willing to give him a raise of 3 times his current salary?
                            It was a joke. I'm more likely to win the 649 than we are to see DeMar attain all the "ifs" being mentioned in this thread.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                              Raps should trade for Bennett. Ross + JJ (plus the clips pick?) for him. make it happen.
                              Aren't you already tired of number 1 picks who never fulfilled their potentials?!

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                                Aren't you already tired of number 1 picks who never fulfilled their potentials?!

Bennett is 22 and has barely scratched the surface. Dude deserves a legit shot, he's in great shape and he played well at the Pan Am games.
                                Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Sun Jul 26, 2015, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X