No announcement yet.

2015 Raptors Offseason - Everything rumors, musings and rumblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think there is any connection between Texas alum Aldridge and Durant?

Trade DeRozan and you can have enough cap space to sign a max.

Drake, masai, Aldridge, TL....that is a nice recruiting team.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
      DeMar would be fine, I think. Aldridge usually commands a defender on him at all times, plus another help defender nearby, that will help everyone get easier looks, including DeMar.

But if you replace DeMar with a similar caliber player who's a 3pt shooter and slasher, I have no doubt that the team would be better. You would open up the floor for LaMarcus better, and that player X would benefit from LaMarcus even more than DeMar would.

Ultimately it sounds like some people argue that DeMar and Aldridge would be a disaster on the floor together, other people argue that DeMar would be great, and he shouldn't be traded. I think it's neither, DeMar would be fine, but he still should be traded, because it just wouldn't be ideal.

That's not to say trade DeMar for some scrub off the street. If you can't get fair value, then keep him I guess. But if you can make a good deal for someone who's more of a 3pt / slash / pass / D guy, then do it.
      There is no SG in the NBA who excels at all of these things. Closest you'd get is maybe Jimmy Butler. Or Harden if you're ok with a little worse D than DeRozan.

Comment

• http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...at-3359966.php

Some fuel to the rampant speculation fire

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Think there is any connection between Texas alum Aldridge and Durant?

Trade DeRozan and you can have enough cap space to sign a max.

Drake, masai, Aldridge, TL....that is a nice recruiting team.
          You would need to trade DD for very little salary coming back, like a prospect or something or picks. At which point... why is LMA signing?

Comment

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...at-3359966.php

Some fuel to the rampant speculation fire
            That article requires you to be subscribed to the Houston Chronicle, any chance you can quote an excerpt from it here?

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
              Not necessarily, their cap situation is not clear yet. How much money will their older guys take this time? How much will they have to pay Danny Green? It depends on those answers, plus they could dump Tiago Splitter quite easily I suspect -- or maybe Diaw if they include some picks.

They can find a way to give him max. Plus with no tax, that's some extra money.

Besides, if he's signing just a 1 year deal, then it might not matter so much to him if he gets max or slightly below max for that one year.
              San Antonio's cap situation isn't great. They have anywhere from $0-$28M depending on cap holds, e.g. they have to start renouncing players to get their cap space up from $0. Here are the current cap holds.

Manu $10.5M
              Duncan $15.5M
              Green $7.6M
              Leonard $7.2M
              Baynes $4M
              Ayres $2.3M
              Belinelli $3.7M
              Joesph $5M
              Bonner $1M

Total cap holds $57M

Now, lets examine SA in a best case scenario:
              Leonard will certainly get the max which is more than double his cap hold. How long is he willing to wait around while SA pursues free agents? To play devils advocate we'll say he'll wait all of free agency, so his cap hold stands as is.
              Danny Green will likely get double his cap hold as well in free agency. How long is he willing to wait around before signing a deal somewhere else? Again, to play devils advocate we'll say he waits as long as it takes, so his cap hold stands.
              Duncan deserves more than his cap hold, but best case he takes a deal like what he had last season and signs for $10.5M.
              Ginobili retires so his cap hold is gone.
              Can they afford to lose Joseph with Parker getting old? Let's say they can so they renounce him and free up his cap hold.
              Same thing with Belinelli, it seems like they need him but let's say they waive him.
              Everyone else is probably a safe bet to be waived. Now let's see where the cap holds stand:

Duncan $10.5M
              Green $7.6M
              Leonard $7.2M

Total $25.3M
              Add in:
              Guaranteed Contracts $34.2M (8 players total)
              4 Empty Roster slot cap holds $2.1M
              Inclusive Total $61.6M
              Projected Cap $67.1M
              SA Cap Space: $5.5M in a best case scenario

Let's say they can salary dump Splitter, that adds $8M more space ($8.5M - $500k empty roster slot)
              New cap space: $13.5M which is still not enough

Salary dump Diaw to free up another $7M.
              New cap space: $20.5M which I believe is a max level offer to LMA

So, best case scenario with a pure dump of Splitter and Diaw, Duncan taking only $10.5M, and Kawhi and Green both willing to wait while things shake out, they can make Aldridge a max offer, and should he accept, this is their roster with only minimums left (and mini MLE I think).

Parker, Mills
              Green
              Leonard, Anderson
              Aldridge
              Duncan

Is that really more enticing then just joining the Raps squad without them having to jettison any good players?

Comment

• apparently we want Wes Matthews now as well.

I had the link but I lost it.

I'm starting to wonder if lazy sports writers see 23 million in cap space and will just throw our name out there for every single guy
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  You would need to trade DD for very little salary coming back, like a prospect or something or picks. At which point... why is LMA signing?
                  Minus Derozan Raptors have $30m in cap space next summer.

That remaining $6m is likely to be cap holds for draft picks and roster charges.

They could trade DeRozan now for a collection of expiring contracts and draft picks. Or they could trade him for just picks and use the cap space to offer a large one year contract. Or he could be used to facilitate a sign and trade. The team as constructed won 49 games with a core of Kl/Dd/JV. I think KL/DD/JV brings you more.

Don't foeget Patterson becomes a little redundant with Aldridge.

It will be very interesting to see how next few days pans out.

No question his best option in the east is toronto.

Comment

That remaining $6m is likely to be cap holds for draft picks and roster charges.

They could trade DeRozan now for a collection of expiring contracts and draft picks. Or they could trade him for just picks and use the cap space to offer a large one year contract. Or he could be used to facilitate a sign and trade. The team as constructed won 49 games with a core of Kl/Dd/JV. I think KL/DD/JV brings you more.

Shit. I think it is actually )35m in cap space.

So you could keep DD if you lost PP and still have max money.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                      apparently we want Wes Matthews now as well.

I had the link but I lost it.

I'm starting to wonder if lazy sports writers see 23 million in cap space and will just throw our name out there for every single guy

Comment

• If we got rid of Patterson and James Johnson. That would put us at ~30M cap space. Maybe move Bebe as well and you could get Wes for like ~12M and Aldridge for ~19M. But you'd have to move all those guys for no salary coming back (so for picks).

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                          There is no SG in the NBA who excels at all of these things. Closest you'd get is maybe Jimmy Butler. Or Harden if you're ok with a little worse D than DeRozan.
                          You probably won't get a player who's great at all those things, I don't think DeMar is that valuable. It also doesn't have to be a SG, I'd actually prefer a SF for this team. In general, there has to be more flexibility than "if I trade DeMar, I need a SG back." Maybe you get a SF, maybe a combo, maybe it's a 2 for 1 deal, maybe it's 1 for 2. The question is if it helps the team.

I haven't put much thought into exact options, it's too pointless now. If we do get LaMarcus, I'm sure most people on the board will be full of ideas.

Comment

• Edit: Nvm misread
                            Last edited by JWash; Tue Jun 30, 2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I think 2pat is not redundant with Aldridge, I think they will be nice together.

Comment

• Based on ESPN.com The top 3 team that have a chance of landing LA, if he decides to leave Portland are:

1) SA
                                2) Dallas
                                3) Lakers

They also said he might get a cold feet about leaving 30 million on the table and not leave but I guess the tax situation in Texas can reduce the blow when it comes to losing money.

Comment

Working...
                                X