Armstrong on Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armstrong on Lowry

Didn't see this posted anywhere else: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050...e-bus-1.268228

I know some of you guys don't like Jack around here, but he makes some good points and provides a different POV on the season and team.

Any chance if a summary, at work cant hear.

I assuming more of the poor casey shit.

Comment

- Lowry threw DC under the bus. Says DC has never really thrown anyone under the bus his 4 years with the team.
      - Says the great season from last year was because of the grit and toughness of Lowry's play since he's the heart of the team. And the poor play in the last 6 weeks of this season was because Lowry wasn't the same player. (This i agree with.)
      - Says DC has had his faults but he's been good overall. Says the poor performance in playoffs was because his perimeter guys were underperforming and that there really weren't any other options he could go with. Wiz neutralized derozan, lowry and lou, and that was basically it.
      - Said Lowry's acceptance of his coaches has always been shortlived
      - Says if the team is going to change coaches, they better get someone a whole lot better
      - His top 3 players to keep: dd, pp, and JV. Lowry too if he can keep his head straight
      - Wiz won because they had another gear to kick into, whereas raps seem like they were already playing at that gear all season long. Not sure if the current team has that other gear they can kick into
      - Poor bench production was also a result of our loss to wiz. Raps did well reg season because of our bench play, but during playoffs wizards played wall and beal heavy minutes and that pretty much pwned our bench
      - If he was to choose players to keep, they'd be: JV, Patterson and Derozan

Comment

I agree with his assessment of the players on the whole, but he is definitely letting Casey off the hook. Poor performance in the playoffs is only a part of the puzzle and the poor performance lasted a lot longer than 4 painful games.

"Says the poor performance in playoffs was because his perimeter guys were underperforming and that there really weren't any other options he could go with." ~ they weren't hitting shots in part cause they couldn't get open. They couldn't get open because all we did is try to ISO. That's on Casey as much as it is on the players. And we had other options on the bench and in the "playbook" - how many times did DD post up? How many times did we run Lou/DD/Ross off of multiple screens for catch and shoot opportunities? how many times did we pass the ball to the roller after a screen?

"Wiz neutralized derozan, lowry and lou, and that was basically it." - so as soon as the opposing team makes a positive tactical move, the series is over? Here I always thought that "adjustments" were a basketball coaching term and not just for the tailor.

I like Jack, he's a homer and sometimes a knob, but he's a lot better than Leo; but he completely is letting Casey off the hook for everything and trying to blame Lowry for "running the ship" - when it is the coaches job to not let that happen.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Coaches are a fraternity....they will always support each other. That's the code.

Plenty of recriminations to go around including Masai and the broadcasting team who frequently did not tell it like it is.

Comment

That's the tough part about having Lowry. He's the best player on the roster, but you never know what you're gonna get. If we move him we're done, and he's not so good that you can get a player that can make a differece for the team either.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              That's the tough part about having Lowry. He's the best player on the roster, but you never know what you're gonna get. If we move him we're done, and he's not so good that you can get a player that can make a differece for the team either.
              and if you keep him, and things don't get righted in his head, we are probably worse off of the 3 options.

Basically, our W-L impact ranking is:
              1. Lowry gets his head straight
              2. Lowry gets traded for less than stellar return
              3. Lowry stays and is a coach killer

Where you want to put your money Nostradamus?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

A guy with a career win/loss of .394, shouldn't be going after anybody.
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

No doubt DC gets his fair share of blame as well. I would have liked to see the Raps run the same type of plays for DD as the Wizards do for beal, which is constant screens, movement off the ball and creation of open looks. This would hide DD's poor ball handling and reduce the unnecessary iso plays. Our guys don't have the ball IQ to break down the perimeter D and needed Xs and Os to do so, which DC didn't really provide.

However, I agree with what he said about Lowry. Everyone's putting the blame on DC only and not Lowry. You can chalk it up to him being injured but his play was a big factor in how things played out. It's great to have a guy and leader who has that fire and competitiveness but he needs to channel that onto the court in terms of play. We've seen how that can become a deterrent for our guys when it manifests itself into frustration.

Comment

Pong wrote: View Post
                    No doubt DC gets his fair share of blame as well. I would have liked to see the Raps run the same type of plays for DD as the Wizards do for beal, which is constant screens, movement off the ball and creation of open looks. This would hide DD's poor ball handling and reduce the unnecessary iso plays. Our guys don't have the ball IQ to break down the perimeter D and needed Xs and Os to do so, which DC didn't really provide.

However, I agree with what he said about Lowry. Everyone's putting the blame on DC only and not Lowry. You can chalk it up to him being injured but his play was a big factor in how things played out. It's great to have a guy and leader who has that fire and competitiveness but he needs to channel that onto the court in terms of play. We've seen how that can become a deterrent for our guys when it manifests itself into frustration.
                    I honestly don't think anyone has absolved Lowry of blame. If you can find a post on RR or a media source, then cool; but I'm pretty sure both were crap and both should go.

Comment

I think Jack is pretty much bang on. His defending of Casey is simply because everything is being laid on his shoulders by the fans IMO. Unfortunately, the team goes the way Lowry goes, he is the engine afterall. If he plays team oriented ball, everyone does, he goes hero mode, so do the others.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                        and if you keep him, and things don't get righted in his head, we are probably worse off of the 3 options.

Basically, our W-L impact ranking is:
                        1. Lowry gets his head straight
                        2. Lowry gets traded for less than stellar return
                        3. Lowry stays and is a coach killer

Where you want to put your money Nostradamus?
                        I think the best bet with him is to move him for a draft pick. Gamble for a Gamble basically. If a team wants to win now more than win later than they're trading a gamble for the future, for a gamble now.

Comment

Bandit wrote: View Post
                          I think the best bet with him is to move him for a draft pick. Gamble for a Gamble basically. If a team wants to win now more than win later than they're trading a gamble for the future, for a gamble now.
                          Question is, what team is going to give up a pick for him? In this year's draft, all the teams with high PG need also have a high pick. A pick in the Lowry value range is likely to be held by a team without a lot of need. The Kings at 6 might be the exception.

And if you trade Lowry for a future pick, is there much point in not moving DD and Co as well?

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            I think Jack is pretty much bang on. His defending of Casey is simply because everything is being laid on his shoulders by the fans IMO. Unfortunately, the team goes the way Lowry goes, he is the engine afterall. If he plays team oriented ball, everyone does, he goes hero mode, so do the others.
                            His defending of casey is because Jack himself was a coach.
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                              His defending of casey is because Jack himself was a coach.
                              yes of course, obviously the only possible explanation.

Comment

Working...
                              X