the following players are dependant on the ball moving in order to shine

Amir, GV, JV, 2Pat, Ross

there is a role for an ISO player. ISO players are important for

1.) Broken play situations
    2.) shot clock is coming down
    3.) exposing a weak defender
    4.) collapsing a defense
    5.) 2 for 1 specials

If Lou Williams is going to stay then we need to be on the hunt for a pass first PG. With the roster we currently have our team would actually play a lot better with Nando and Jose over GV and KL.

SECOND THOUGHT

This roster is not constructed to play to Dwayne Casey's strength. In fact it is practically designed to play up his flaws, his PG doesn't pass, his SG can't shoot, his SF is too small, his PF has wonky ankles and he is trying to hard to turn JV into Tyson Chandler and the whole mess isn't going to fit.

Thibs, another defensive coach had Jimmy Butler, Taj Gibson, and Joakim Noah to work with.

THIRD THOUGHT

We should not trade DeRozan for these three reasons. He is going to get better, more efficient, and stronger with age. I totally see him settling into a 16pts 6 boards 6 assists 1.5 stl kinda guy for like the next decade.

FOURTH THOUGHT

We have the assets to correctly build a balanced roster
    Masai did a good job of ensuring every single one of our pieces have trade value.
    A retool this off season could be done in the blink of an eye.

FIFTH THOUGHT

If Dwayne Casey is your coach, start setting the man up to succeed. Get players that play his style. If this is supposed to be a smashmouth team, do what you gotta do to get Butler, Middleton and Green on this team (or players of that variety) Wesley Matthews and Arron Afflalo are both tough wing two way players. Find a way to get Taj Gibson over here as well. Because if not....

SIXTH THOUGHT

Stop wasting everyone's time. Build a finesse team, get a coach who handles that well. This team is not a well oiled machine it's Frankenstein's monster. I will never for the life of me understand why we went away from the offense of 13/14 for the iso heavy 14/15. When I look at our roster I see four guys the Spurs would make look like all stars and likely snatch up if they walked for whatever reason, in Amir, 2Pat, TRoss, GV. Enough is enough pick a style, find the best coach for that style, and build the program to play that way.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Preaching to the choir.

This is on Masai to a large extent. He kept and extended a round peg coach and landed him some square peg players.

At least it is obvious what the problems are. Casey does not seem able to come up with offensive or defensive schemes that work to his players strengths. So change the coach or change the players.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      Preaching to the choir.

This is on Masai to a large extent. He kept and extended a round peg coach and landed him some square peg players.

At least it is obvious what the problems are. Casey does not seem able to come up with offensive or defensive schemes that work to his players strengths. So change the coach or change the players.
      It's obvious yet nothing had happened. Really the coach has to go that is the first step. Second figure out your next coach. Third retool your roster.

Comment

SEVENTH THOUGHT (just keeping it going)

Kyle Lowry has way more value than most people here think, because although PG is a talent-rich position in the league, there are very few elite PGs available at any given time, and Lowry is probably the only one who's going to be available for trade. (Ty Lawson is a step down. Goran Dragic is excellent but the bidding war in free agency for him will be intense, until he re-ups with Miami anyway.)

Bear in mind that Rajon Rondo created a trade bidding war this year based more or less on his performance in the playoffs seven years ago; that's how bad teams want an elite PG. Were I Masai I'd try to get serious bank for him in a trade: there's going to be at least one team who decides they can win at the game of Can We Make Kyle Lowry Happy And Coachable. (My money would be on Sacramento, who want to make a playoff run this year with Boogie as their centrepiece, already have Kyle's BFF Rudy Gay on the team, who need a major infusion of talent at point guard, and are run by an idiot owner who thinks he knows Basketball Secrets.)

Comment

If we absolutely had to have a player playing ISO, it should be JV in the post. He is not actually dependent on ball movement to score. He's, and this surprised me as I researched it, the single most effective post player in the league (in terms of scoring, and among players with over 150 post ups). He obviously has a long way to go with reads and passing.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I like the idea that the Spurs might want GV. Trade him for Corey Joseph in a sign and trade this summer?
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

These are turning into a jumbled collection of replies...

DeRozan is going to get more efficient with age? Do you have any data to support that? In the past 4 seasons, he's had 3 below his career average efficiency (TS%). From last year to this year he dropped off in efficiency, passing, turnovers, free throw drawing...
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                These are turning into a jumbled collection of replies...

DeRozan is going to get more efficient with age? Do you have any data to support that? In the past 4 seasons, he's had 3 below his career average efficiency (TS%). From last year to this year he dropped off in efficiency, passing, turnovers, free throw drawing...
                I have no data to support this except a feeling ( which I realize is tough to debate ) I see him slowing down and becoming a lot smarter. Once he got his rhythm back post injury I saw signs of it.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

danh wrote: View Post
                  i like the idea that the spurs might want gv. Trade him for corey joseph in a sign and trade this summer?
                  agreed

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post

Kyle Lowry has way more value than most people here think, because although PG is a talent-rich position in the league, there are very few elite PGs available at any given time, and Lowry is probably the only one who's going to be available for trade. (Ty Lawson is a step down. Goran Dragic is excellent but the bidding war in free agency for him will be intense, until he re-ups with Miami anyway.)

Bear in mind that Rajon Rondo created a trade bidding war this year based more or less on his performance in the playoffs seven years ago; that's how bad teams want an elite PG. Were I Masai I'd try to get serious bank for him in a trade: there's going to be at least one team who decides they can win at the game of Can We Make Kyle Lowry Happy And Coachable. (My money would be on Sacramento, who want to make a playoff run this year with Boogie as their centrepiece, already have Kyle's BFF Rudy Gay on the team, who need a major infusion of talent at point guard, and are run by an idiot owner who thinks he knows Basketball Secrets.)
                    I like the idea of Stauskus, Pick, Thompson Cash for Lowry or from HOU, Motiejunas, 1st round 2nd round, cash

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                      I like the idea that the Spurs might want GV. Trade him for Corey Joseph in a sign and trade this summer?
                      Yes yes Cory Joseph yes
                      OG is our king

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                        I have no data to support this except a feeling ( which I realize is tough to debate ) I see him slowing down and becoming a lot smarter. Once he got his rhythm back post injury I saw signs of it.
                        Meh, he's had stretches like that before. To end the year this year he had a couple months of about 55 TS%. Last year he had 4 months near that. The year before two months. The year before that, two months. This is nothing new, and each time people think he's turned the corner, and is slowing down and becoming smarter, and to this date he hasn't broken 55 TS% for an entire season since his rookie year.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm going to go on record again and say trading Lowry would be a mistake. Yes a lot of jumbled pieces that don't fit.. but that's mainly on the style of play. Raptors were pretty successful last year. When Lowry was PG for Houston, Scola was averaging over 18ppg. Lowry knows how to get a big man involved.. he just needs a coach that creates a system that gets the big guys involved.

I guess if you could get the #6 pick, Collison (to play point) and someone else like D. Williams it might be okay. Just think it's a tank move, and then DD should be trade as well.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post

Ok but what do expect to get back? They won't give Cousins. Staukas and McLemore maybe but it really won't help us .

Comment

I expect Masai to clean house this summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X