X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    Based on my quick search for playoff revenue generated:

May 26, 2010

The New York Times blog reports: The revenue generated by a single playoff game varies widely, depending on the playoff round and the city in which the game is played. One playoff game can take in as little as $500,000 or as much as $2.5 million, according to one league executive, who also noted that “Milwaukee couldn’t charge as much for a Finals game as the Lakers charge in the regular season.”

~~~

"On ticket sales alone in 2012-13 the Heat made 1.44 million per game. That said, the average NBA fan spends something like and additional $25 (the numbers for cost I see seem to indicate that it's tickets for 4 + ~$100 which then divided 4 ways gives us $25). The Heat regularly sell out regular season games and I'm sure they fill to capacity for these playoff games. The max capacity for their arena is listed at 19,600. Which puts combined concessions and parking at around half a million dollars per game. [ACC is listed at 19,800 for capacity - but we wouldn't have the parking aspect.]

That means their revenue including concessions and parking comes in at least 2 million dollars per game (this is low considering they raise average ticket prices for playoff games).

This suggests that by playing 2 extra home playoff games the heat brought in an additional 4 million dollars in revenue.

However, this doesn't necessarily directly benefit the Heat. They are subject to a revenue sharing agreement with the league and as much as 30% of their profits may be shared."

~~~~~

From last year:
    Toronto basketball fans are buzzing with anticipation as the Raptors’ first playoff game in six years draws closer, but netting seats for post-season play won’t be cheap.
    Forbes reported Monday that, at an average of $370.63 each, the team’s playoff tickets are the most expensive in the league. They’re also 242.5 per cent pricier than regular-season Raptors tickets.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...in_league.html

~~~~~

EDIT: Addtional Info from Forbes

"The Raptors had a banner year on and off the court last season. The team finished first in the Atlantic Division and qualified for the playoffs for the first time since 2008. The team's success fueled a 25% rise in TV viewership and 7% gain in gate receipts. Sponsor revenues moved up to seventh best in the league from 11th. The Raptors sold out season tickets for the 2014-15 season. "

~~~~
    Based on those sources, I think it's safe to say that the 2 home games would generate enough money that the Casey sunk cost would be manageable at worst, and covered at best.

OKC plays in the west, we play in the east. Big difference.
    A lot of quotes about nothing in there. But thanks for the effort..

Conference isn't the point here. If Lowry was asked to carry the team like Westbrook had to, even in the lowly East, we win about 30 games max. Heck you saw how his body broke down over the season. We wouldn't stand a chance. Playoffs are not a given, and to add further to that, after the all-star break our wins and losses would have put us in 9th place. This wasn't even a playoff team. Speculating on things that might not necessarily happen gets you into trouble.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
      Why don't we just add 3 Mikes to that list as well (Woodson, Brown, and D'Antoni)

I'd actually be more inclined to give a chance to a current asssistant or college coach. I sure have seen time and time again that recycled coaches have failed on numerous occasions.
      This is basically what the Raptors have been doing, as a franchise, over the past 20 years and we have zero playoff series wins in that time, except for Lenny Wilkens who not coincidentally is the only experienced coach we've ever hired.

I'm not saying it can't work (hiring a current assistant) but I feel fairly certain that there is a better chance of winning with someone who has done it before than someone who has watched others do it.

I still think we should stand pat with Casey until we have either a functional roster that he fails with, or we can hire a legitimate highly regarded (and experienced) coach.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        I think Rogers and Bell are doing totally fine in the money printing business.
        LOL! If Rogers and Bell are printing money, then the Teacher's Pension owns all the printers, paper and ink! These two companies are peanuts compared to the OTPP.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
          This is basically what the Raptors have been doing, as a franchise, over the past 20 years and we have zero playoff series wins in that time, except for Lenny Wilkens who not coincidentally is the only experienced coach we've ever hired.

I'm not saying it can't work (hiring a current assistant) but I feel fairly certain that there is a better chance of winning with someone who has done it before than someone who has watched others do it.

I still think we should stand pat with Casey until we have either a functional roster that he fails with, or we can hire a legitimate highly regarded (and experienced) coach.
          I'd also like to point out again:

After leaving here, no ex-Raptor coach has ever been a head coach in the NBA again.

Kind of incredible.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Exactly Mediumcore. Exactly.

Rather than continue on in this debate of what is the correct way of arguing for/against firing Casey at this juncture, those of you who think firing Casey is the answer to our problems, please humor me for a moment. Let's say they send Dwane Casey on his way and hire a new guy.

What's to say this next guy is the right coach for this team?

What's your scenario where at the end of next season, you could deem it a success or failure, and what sort of expectations will you have of this coming season, with the current roster and a changing climate in the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division? Does it come down to a team defensive rating number? Or a successful playoff series? Or even making the playoffs, which I don't think is a guaranteed next season?

What would it take to guarantee that this time next season you guys can put your pitchforks away? That's what I'd like to know.

I realize this is hard to answer without knowing what kind of moves that Masai is planning. What if Masai decides to tank, for example. But if you're willing to say that without a question, regardless of changes to the team that we are better off without Dwane Casey, then you should be able to give a fairly definitive answer to what sort of expectations you would have of a new coach that replaces Casey, and what you would consider a success and failure.

Because between you and me, I think we will be having the exact same discussion a year from now about the new guy unless something is done to the roster.
            You cross that bridge when you come to it. But you can't not make the right move (firing Casey) because you're scared the next guy won't work out either. Fuckin no one would ever lose their job if everyone worried about that.
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

After leaving here, no ex-Raptor coach has ever been a head coach in the NBA again.

Kind of incredible.
              Yea... Almost as nice as our last decade of draft picks

Comment

LOL! If Rogers and Bell are printing money, then the Teacher's Pension owns all the printers, paper and ink! These two companies are peanuts compared to the OTPP.

Really? I'd be interested in seeing some figure to back this up. Not being facetious here - genuinely curious.
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I have seen a lot of recycled head coaches fail though.

Mike Woodson
                  Avery Johnson
                  Doug Collins
                  PJ Carlisemo
                  Byron Scott
                  Mike D'Antoni
                  Larry Brown
                  Lawrence Frank
                  Rick Adelman
                  Mike Brown

and by the way, Dwane Casey is technically a recycled coach.

Comment

Really? I'd be interested in seeing some figure to back this up. Not being facetious here - genuinely curious.
                    From Wikipedia:

OTPP assets: $154B, 1000 employees
                    Rogers assets: $24B, 28,000 employees
                    Bell assets: unlisted, but I'm guessing higher than Rogers? 55,000 employees

Kinda crazy when you think about it, eh? And these guys (the teachers) have the nerve to go on strike? WTF!!
                    Last edited by ebrian; Fri May 8, 2015, 02:13 PM.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

From Wikipedia:

Bell assets: unlisted, but I'm guessing around the same as Rogers? 55,000 employees

Kinda crazy when you think about it, eh? And these guys (the teachers) have the nerve to go on strike? WTF!!
                      Wow.

Who manages their assets?

They can manage mine

Comment

Kind of incredible.
                        and the funny thing is, an ex-Raptor assistant coach did get a head coaching gig after leaving Toronto (Carlisemo)

Comment

From Wikipedia:

Bell assets: unlisted, but I'm guessing around the same as Rogers? 55,000 employees

As for that swipe in the bold - completely irrelevant and misleading, considering teachers' pensions are fixed, not lucrative, and not changed by any additional profit the OTPP generates. Teachers are not rich, and generally, they strike to keep salaries up with inflation.

And so yeah, the total assets of Rogers and Bell are in the same ballpark as the OTPP. As I said: they're doing fine in the money printing business.
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

As for that swipe in the bold - completely irrelevant and misleading, considering teachers' pensions are fixed, not lucrative, and not changed by any additional profit the OTPP generates. Teachers are not rich, and generally, they strike to keep salaries up with inflation.

And so yeah, the total assets of Rogers and Bell are in the same ballpark as the OTPP. As I said: they're doing fine in the money printing business.
                            You are correct about the pensions. Please pardon my feeble attempt at humor.

Same ballpark? Sure, with Rogers and Bell sitting in the nosebleeds while OTPP sits in the dugout! 154 billion dollars!
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                              I have seen a lot of recycled head coaches fail though.

Mike Woodson
                              Avery Johnson
                              Doug Collins
                              PJ Carlisemo
                              Byron Scott
                              Mike D'Antoni
                              Larry Brown
                              Lawrence Frank
                              Rick Adelman
                              Mike Brown

and by the way, Dwane Casey is technically a recycled coach.
                              Add Larry Drew to that list.

Ebrian, please point out one instance where a retread coach has worked out at a new gig after being fired.

I can point out a ton of instances where coaches were hired with no nba head coaching experience who worked out great. Popovich, thibideua, budenholzer, Kerr, Stevens, etc.... The list goes on and on. It's all about making the right hire, and avoiding a guy who just got fired as a head coach is the first step in making a great hire. They're basically guaranteed to fail.

fYI, Casey was retread coach since he got fired from Minnesota. So we haven't been only hiring assistants the last 20 years.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                                Add Larry Drew to that list.

Ebrian, please point out one instance where a retread coach has worked out at a new gig after being fired.

I can point out a ton of instances where coaches were hired with no nba head coaching experience who worked out great. Popovich, thibideua, budenholzer, Kerr, Stevens, etc.... The list goes on and on. It's all about making the right hire, and avoiding a guy who just got fired as a head coach is the first step in making a great hire. They're basically guaranteed to fail.

fYI, Casey was retread coach since he got fired from Minnesota. So we haven't been only hiring assistants the last 20 years.
                                Just a small technicality here...

Everyone had to get hired with no experience at some point

Comment

Working...
                                X